the 100% directionless thread

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
The place at St. John Oakland? Yea they did.

And I don't get light duty. I have to stay home till at least friday.

I wonder if I can get paid through workmans comp or something .

Workmans comp only starts paying after 7 days. :/

Anjel

Forum Angel

Sasha

Forum Chief
Don't have any PTO?

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Who stands outside of the bathroom door and waits for you? Apparently my interviewer does. I waited almost three hours for her to interview me and I decided to finally use the bathroom... and there she was when I came out like 2 minutes later, but problem was she was standing there and went to shake my hand; which was not completely dry after washing my hands. *facepalm* NOTTTT the first impression you want at an interview... :wacko:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
About 8 hours of sleep over the last three days. Crossing my fingers for tonight. I hope the Motorola gods don't read EMTLife...

Last edited by a moderator:

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Not only is the new agency going to pay more, but it will save me 2,000 miles a month in driving AND only 12 hr shifts. I'm content with my decision.

Plus, and you can ask usal this... the agency has changed for the worse lately. One left 2 weeks ago and I know of 2 other medics at my station who are looking elsewhere right now who have been there longer and have more seniority. 4 out of 6 Paramedics at my station alone are leaving / have left.

You can pry my 24s out of my warm sleeping hands.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Can't stand 24s. Sure, I enjoy the fact that if you take a single shift off, you're off for 5 days (Hell, I've taken the last 2 shifts off, which means I've been off for 8)

But:

You can be up for 24 hours straight
If you're up all night at work, all you want to go is go home and sleep, BUT if you sleep, not only do you waste one of your days off, but you also cannot fall asleep till late the next morning again.
You get one day of 'resting/fun' and the next you have to be in bed at a decent time because you have another 24hr shift the next day.

I much prefer 12s, especially 3on/4off, 4on/3off. GO home every day, sleep uninterrupted in my bed, no being held late if your relief doesn't show up, you KNOW that your shift is ~12 hours no matter what, even with a late call, and not 24 with the possibility of 36+.

Yea, give me 12s. Heck, even 16s sometimes.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Dammit this has been a terrible day... I actually can't wait to be on shift tomorrow

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Linuss, you'd like my system. 2 12 hour days, 2 12 hour nights, 4 days off. Plus a rule that says no more than 18 hours of pt care, so you can only be held over half a shift if your relief bails. Plus a very generous holiday/vacation/sick day allowance. :) Oh, and you can trade shifts between medics without supervisor approval.

Take off one tour, you've got 12 days vacation.

Sent from my iPhone.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I love working 24s. The money just piles up in the minimum amount of days each week. I'm working 40 hours a week, "part time," and homeschooling on my off days. Working shorter shifts, I would not be able to get my primary obligations taken care of. We mostly sleep at night, and for now, I'm able to function all night and the next day.

I usually always have 2-3 days between shifts to recover, though. And I take a nap in the afternoon on days following a 24 almost always.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You do 24s AND a second job?

See, with 24s, I NEVER wanted to pick up OT or do a second job, as I enjoyed my days off too much.

Now that I'm going back to 12s, I can pick up all the OT I want (even though I'm being paid more now, so it's a moot point) or start as a tech some place, just to annoy the hell out of the RNs. With 12s, I can pick up an extra shift every week and still have 3 full days off.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
You do 24s AND a second job?

See, with 24s, I NEVER wanted to pick up OT or do a second job, as I enjoyed my days off too much.

Now that I'm going back to 12s, I can pick up all the OT I want (even though I'm being paid more now, so it's a moot point) or start as a tech some place, just to annoy the hell out of the RNs. With 12s, I can pick up an extra shift every week and still have 3 full days off.

The second job is "just" homeschooling my kids and being the mom at my house. It's time-intensive, but just because of the hours in a day thing, not because it takes that much time. The kids get their work done in 2-3 hours a day if they focus, and then we have about an hour of reading aloud spread between 2-3 sessions of reading throughout the day.

My husband has been working 24s for years on teh w-o-w-o-w-o-o-o-o schedule, and I never wanted him to work and OT either, cause I enjoyed his days off too much. He likes having the pressure to work OT and part time relieved from him. I like working, he likes being home with the people without me here, too.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
See, if I had a Kelly schedule, I think I'd like 24s more, due to the built in vacation where you can just recharge without using your PTO.

My preceptor in medic school did a 24hr shift with a local 911, 24 hours at the fire department, and then had 24 hours off. He said he'd been working the 48/24 style for 10 years.

I'd go crazy.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
See, if I had a Kelly schedule, I think I'd like 24s more, due to the built in vacation where you can just recharge without using your PTO.

My preceptor in medic school did a 24hr shift with a local 911, 24 hours at the fire department, and then had 24 hours off. He said he'd been working the 48/24 style for 10 years.

I'd go crazy.

What's the point of living? And on that schedule, you're always owing someone more than what you're giving them. You have to leave time for the commute, even if you do get relieved early every time.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Wait could it be??? Looking at protocol changes for next year and from what I see EMTs are now able to obtain a blood sample and test the BGL without a medic doing it. But an AEMT or Medic needs to tell you to do it before hand...

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
Anybody else got the letter from the National Registry about the scope of practice/title change for EMT-B's in california?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Wait could it be??? Looking at protocol changes for next year and from what I see EMTs are now able to obtain a blood sample and test the BGL without a medic doing it. But an AEMT or Medic needs to tell you to do it before hand...

Remember to put "California" in your post title so it makes sense that a basic is just now getting BGLs added to their scope.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Orange County already added that little tidbit when they introduced the local accreditation course. Along with assisting with pulse oximetry and 12 leads. :rolleyes:

What is it with EMS and having to legislate every little thing to the point where the lack of ambiguity creates ambiguity?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
A sup came to my station and stole my company issued jacket that was hanging on the back of the chair saying that its a "hazard" and that I'll be written up for it the next time he comes down. Screw this place, we're not a bunch of high schoolers