the 100% directionless thread

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I believe the area I got hired for will have EMRs. They even have protocols written for EMRs. My first shift at that base will be Monday.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The verbal judo skills I’ve learned as a supe have most definitely served as a buffer for handling some of the more crude medicine I’ve seen applied by, um, less educated (?) providers in the field.

This I am certainly thankful for.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Half a year ago, I bought a FlightBridgeED course. I did most of it already and only had a couple of modules left. The only reason I stopped doing it is because of a new job. I found out yesterday that my new job wants me to do FlightBridgeED. I asked them if I had to start over because I already purchased it pre hire. They said no and go ahead and finish the course I purchase. I get home today and decide to finish it. I look and it says I have no courses! I tried logging out and back in. I tried on a different browser. I looked at my e-mail and see that I purchased it half a year ago, and it says that I should have it for a year. I see that the account says I bought. Now I am worried that I am gonna have to start all over. How annoying. I sent them an e-mail saying hey... where did my course go? Can I resume where I left off? Those videos are so dry (no offense, listening about medicine isn't always that entertaining) I really hope I don't have to sit there and watch them all over again!

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
I believe the area I got hired for will have EMRs. They even have protocols written for EMRs. My first shift at that base will be Monday.
Some of the more experienced EMRs can be a huge help. They can do much more than just drive.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Not out of the base I am working at, but in the region my base is at. They won't be driving my vehicle or in the same base me.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Half a year ago, I bought a FlightBridgeED course. I did most of it already and only had a couple of modules left. The only reason I stopped doing it is because of a new job. I found out yesterday that my new job wants me to do FlightBridgeED. I asked them if I had to start over because I already purchased it pre hire. They said no and go ahead and finish the course I purchase. I get home today and decide to finish it. I look and it says I have no courses! I tried logging out and back in. I tried on a different browser. I looked at my e-mail and see that I purchased it half a year ago, and it says that I should have it for a year. I see that the account says I bought. Now I am worried that I am gonna have to start all over. How annoying. I sent them an e-mail saying hey... where did my course go? Can I resume where I left off? Those videos are so dry (no offense, listening about medicine isn't always that entertaining) I really hope I don't have to sit there and watch them all over again!
Yeah, I’m not going to lie, FlightBridgeED really is dried out material in comparison to the IA MED course.

They’re smart people for sure, but also very monotone.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
They fixed the account and I didn't lose any progress. I have very few modules left to do. I think trauma, OB, and neonate. I can probably knock that out today.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
To supplement my agency's CME, I got a subscription to EMSConnect -- been very happy with hit. $7 a month with live physician-led CME, not something I usually get as a BLS provider.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Before going on our 4 day last week was told today (1st shift of the cycle) I was due to relieve at 14s. Nice Station, just I have to wake up 30 min earlier than normal cuz it's further away, but no big deal, it's my turn to relieve and I'm already grabbing my gear because I picked up some OT during the 4 day anyway.

Do my OT, night before 1st shift, I get a text from the BC saying my relief was canceled and I can go ahead and just go to my normal station. Cool

Sleep in to my normal time, normal routine.... juuuussssstttt as I'm about to turn off the main road to my station I get a call from my Captain saying "Hey they just put it out, need me to go to Sta 41" just in time to avoid going onto the turn lane and keep going (towards 41).

On the freeway just getting into the exit lane for 41s, and get a call from the BC aide saying "Hey turns out we do need you to keep going to 14s as originally planned"

Luckily that was get out of the exit lane and stay on in the same direction lol.

At least for playing ping pong ball I only had to keep driving in the same direction each time lol

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
That would get really old really quick

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Before going on our 4 day last week was told today (1st shift of the cycle) I was due to relieve at 14s. Nice Station, just I have to wake up 30 min earlier than normal cuz it's further away, but no big deal, it's my turn to relieve and I'm already grabbing my gear because I picked up some OT during the 4 day anyway.

Do my OT, night before 1st shift, I get a text from the BC saying my relief was canceled and I can go ahead and just go to my normal station. Cool

Sleep in to my normal time, normal routine.... juuuussssstttt as I'm about to turn off the main road to my station I get a call from my Captain saying "Hey they just put it out, need me to go to Sta 41" just in time to avoid going onto the turn lane and keep going (towards 41).

On the freeway just getting into the exit lane for 41s, and get a call from the BC aide saying "Hey turns out we do need you to keep going to 14s as originally planned"

Luckily that was get out of the exit lane and stay on in the same direction lol.

At least for playing ping pong ball I only had to keep driving in the same direction each time lol
In all fairness, the island is small enough that eventually you'll come back around to where you were.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
That would get really old really quick
I certainly wasn't "un-annoyed" but at least I already had my stuff, was already somewhat prepped for the idea of relieving at a different station beforehand, and the fact that the calls came in before I turned away and headed in a different direction made it relatively painless.

It doesn't happen much, but yeah, ping pong ball syndrome is generally annoying any which way. At least 14s is a nice North Shore beach station, so that also helps a lot lols

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I certainly wasn't "un-annoyed" but at least I already had my stuff, was already somewhat prepped for the idea of relieving at a different station beforehand, and the fact that the calls came in before I turned away and headed in a different direction made it relatively painless.

It doesn't happen much, but yeah, ping pong ball syndrome is generally annoying any which way. At least 14s is a nice North Shore beach station, so that also helps a lot lols

the department where I did most of my medic ride time had floaters that did nothing but go from station to station to backfill call offs. They called them hobos. I wanted to work there, but was turned off by the fact that I would be homeless for a couple of years. oh, plus the fact that I didn’t really want to be a hose monkey.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It really only happens because my crew is "fat" or fully staffed at 5 (Captain, Engineer, and 3 Firefighters). Most crews are at 4, so when one is running short staffing at 3 (Captain, Engineer, and 1 FF) we get to send someone out to balance everyone at 4 (whether that's because someone is on vacation, called off sick, or in my case, they had a guy out at Blue Card training all day

Usually, they either put out which crew needs to send someone to another station a shift before so you just go to the station direct the next shift, no fuss. Or you show up and in the morning something came up, then you find out, but not the ping pong thing, I don't know where all that came from.

Next shift it'll be one of the other FFs on my crew's turn to relieve (and they said yesterday where he needs to go tomorrow)

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I dunno...driving around Honolulu with the top down maybe...I wouldn't care where I was going....
Well until you're stuck in that parking lot they call a freeway at rush hour lol (fortunately I had to head away from town towards the rural parts of the island, while rush hour was going in the opposite direction haha)

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I know this came up before, IBSC is looking for beta testers for the CCP-C exam. Good way to save $200 if you're willing to test in the next month and don't need instant results. Can't remember who was interested the last time...@StCEMT maybe?

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Whenever I see “CCP” or “CCP-C” I automatically think people are misspelling CCCP.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Tempting just for curiosity sake. And my fpc won't be at risk if I fail 🤣