the 100% directionless thread

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
Strained my rotator cuff. Going to get steroids and not going to work tomorrow. So now I have to pick up three more shifts to make up for this week.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
This JUNK bandanna is really growing on me. Worked well underneath my helmet last shift, and it works great for my runs/ workouts. Win/ Win.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Debating putting in for a Lt spot back in the city. Driving around in an SUV sounds pretty fun and a few people have told me to give it a go. On the flip side, 24/72 and one 12 a week is also nice. After a few years of stagnant progress, trying to find new ways to climb the pay/life/clinical balance we all look for.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Debating putting in for a Lt spot back in the city. Driving around in an SUV sounds pretty fun and a few people have told me to give it a go. On the flip side, 24/72 and one 12 a week is also nice. After a few years of stagnant progress, trying to find new ways to climb the pay/life/clinical balance we all look for.
What are the “non-clinical” responsibilities attached to the Lt. spot? That’s what I’d ask myself. That and if I felt it was worth it.

I’d imagine there’s some administrative stuff attached to it. I hated that aspect lol. Not for me.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
This JUNK bandanna is really growing on me. Worked well underneath my helmet last shift, and it works great for my runs/ workouts. Win/ Win.
Funny, I just ordered some headbands similar to that yeasterday. Tried cycling caps but they didn't work out, hoping that other than looking silly the headbands will keep sweat out of my face.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
What are the “non-clinical” responsibilities attached to the Lt. spot? That’s what I’d ask myself. That and if I felt it was worth it.

I’d imagine there’s some administrative stuff attached to it. I hated that aspect lol. Not for me.
Some of it depends on the Capt/Lt combo. Different pairs have different likings. Some want to be in the field more and others want more of an admin role. Lt is less administrative than Capt though.

It would be a trade for sure, but this Lt spot I believe is also a back fill for empty field ALS spots, so not a complete loss of patient care. Not that doing so is a huge change from now. My only call last shift was a brush fire which I had no business being at. But doing this would definitely mean a bit of an increase in days worked and possibly a small pay cut. On the other hand, it could be a good opportunity to resume build for future plans.

Certainly a lot of factors to weigh. I'm definitely applying just to feel it out. If I get no offer, I have a great, but sometimes tedious thing going. If I do, I have two options with their own advantages to consider.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Funny, I just ordered some headbands similar to that yeasterday. Tried cycling caps but they didn't work out, hoping that other than looking silly the headbands will keep sweat out of my face.
Yeah, they’re not that bad. Initially I was afraid I’d look like that bro-ed out Crossfit meathead, but TBCH, they’re so comfortable I hardly care.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, they’re not that bad. Initially I was afraid I’d look like that bro-ed out Crossfit meathead, but TBCH, they’re so comfortable I hardly care.
You gotta add in the short shorts and sleeve tattoos before you need to worry about that. Maybe some high end Reeboks or Nikes.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Who told you what I wear under my flight suit?
5c7m9c.jpg

VentMonkey

Family Guy
You gotta add in the short shorts and sleeve tattoos before you need to worry about that. Maybe some high end Reeboks or Nikes.
Haha, the short shorts are both a remnant of my inner-dad, and the running geek in me.

No tattoos for me, so good there. And no self respecting runner wears Reebok or Nike running shoes.

@Aprz I was mid post when I saw your meme. Literally, you beat me to it.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
No tattoos for me, so good there. And no self respecting runner wears Reebok or Nike running shoes.
Brooks Ghost 11 for me. Actually trying to catch a transport so I can head to the shoe store near the hospital. I forgot my running shoes today and am just gonna buy a pair to keep at the station. Unfortunately for me, that means my window to run when it's 72 degrees out is long gone since shoes were the only thing I forgot to bring.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Brooks Ghost 11 for me. Actually trying to catch a transport so I can head to the shoe store near the hospital. I forgot my running shoes today and am just gonna buy a pair to keep at the station. Unfortunately for me, that means my window to run when it's 72 degrees out is long gone since shoes were the only thing I forgot to bring.
Best time to buy shoes is in the late afternoon/ early evening on a count of the swelling: fact.

It took me a little while to figure out my best running shoe size because of this. It helped immensely with comfort on longer runs.

Also, I’d recommend breaking in newer shoes for 3-6 months. I typically keep a “new pair” to wear then rotate them in when the old pair loses their tread.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I was looking for alternatives to "free ball" online and felt like they were too gross (people online are honestly sick) or too complicated. Thought of that meme and then was like "Oh, right... meme generator. Perfect." Or I could've just said free ball it, lol.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
This month is already tiring.

Work over shift at another base, Yearly Cardiac Devices training, yearly occ health, NRP. Probably something else that I'm forgetting.

$$$$$

VentMonkey

Family Guy
This month is already tiring.

Work over shift at another base, Yearly Cardiac Devices training, yearly occ health, NRP. Probably something else that I'm forgetting.

$$$$$
I’m right there with you. I have pending overtime through the beginning of August, then a two week vacation from NorCal on down the coast.

Couple that with the fact that my wife and I are slowly developing a taste for a not exactly inexpensive Mexican/ Mesoamerican antiquing to build our furniture collection.

My work is certainly cut out for me.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Did skills day today for my current EMR class. It’s amazing to me that there are some parts of my region that are so poorly staffed, without an EMR to partner with the sole available EMT, an ambulance may not make it to a call.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Did skills day today for my current EMR class. It’s amazing to me that there are some parts of my region that are so poorly staffed, without an EMR to partner with the sole available EMT, an ambulance may not make it to a call.
Def sounds unbelievable to me, especially in the developed world.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief

Welcome to the Big Bend region of Texas and other areas of the state.