the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
That moment when you try to call the ER to give a report, but are on hold for the whole 10 min transpirt, finally connect just as you're pulling in....and they advise you that the wait time is 13 hours (which is down from earlier) :eek::confused:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
That moment when you try to call the ER to give a report, but are on hold for the whole 10 min transpirt, finally connect just as you're pulling in....and they advise you that the wait time is 13 hours (which is down from earlier) :eek::confused:

*13 hours*...by hour 2 I'd be chopping off my fingers!
if-you-watch-127-hours-backwards.jpeg
http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/if-you-watch-127-hours-backwards.jpeg
I know you were kidding about the CPAP. My dog snores, we always say she needs CPUP. But there's no dog vents or CPAP at her place. It's either a BVM or the anesthesia machine. And frankly, I don't think you could get a conscious dog to tolerate a mask. Woof.

I feel bad for the poor guys with their short muzzles. Nothing to be done about it, I guess...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Always hate the conditional offer phase. I know everything will be fine but I still get anxious.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I feel bad for the poor guys with their short muzzles. Nothing to be done about it, I guess...

Yep. The smoosh-faces always have a hard go with it. Here's an interesting fact. Most vet clinics reuse ET tubes. They get cleaned, maybe run through the autoclave and hung on a rack in surgery. I was really surprised one day when I walked in to a surgery suite and saw a bunch of ET tubes just hanging there. My wife said, "well they're not sterile…"

Things we do for people are so different than what they do for pets.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Yep. The smoosh-faces always have a hard go with it. Here's an interesting fact. Most vet clinics reuse ET tubes. They get cleaned, maybe run through the autoclave and hung on a rack in surgery. I was really surprised one day when I walked in to a surgery suite and saw a bunch of ET tubes just hanging there. My wife said, "well they're not sterile…"

Considering theoretically their mouths are cleaner than ours, or in my case, not so theoretically...
I WISH my shepherds snored, they just phart.
Well then, guess I lucked out and got a multitalented pooch.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I am suddenly much more thankful for the dozen plus hospital in my coverage area, despite the initial confusion in learning them all....Damn dude....

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I am suddenly much more thankful for the dozen plus hospital in my coverage area, despite the initial confusion in learning them all....Damn dude....
Coverage areas or "catchments" are irrelevant in to world of Los Angeles based EMS. That's the norm on any given day at any given ED.

I still smile and nod when our crews grips about a whopping 4-5 hour bed delay:).

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

I am sure Barnes and SLU have had 13hr holds before. Luckily coming on the whirlybird bumps you to the front of the line :cool: ha

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I am sure Barnes and SLU have had 13hr holds before. Luckily coming on the whirlybird bumps you to the front of the line :cool: ha
We occasionally backfill scene calls for the other airship on the eastern part of our counties response area. Their primary ED they transport to is a notoriously sluggish LA County ED.

Aside from the squads getting bumped to the front, we (and I more than imagine them) get bumped fairly quickly as well.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Who do the hospice companies have to have their own DNR/DNI form, how about instead you use the state approved form that EMS can actually use.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Not too long ago, Barnes actually got shut down due to multiple GSW victims arriving all at once. Otherwise, I have never had that issue at Barnes or SLU. Maybe the patient did when I drop them off at triage, but I didn't have to wait it out.

Yea, you whirly bird folks have a nice wait hahaha.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

Seems like it might be safe to reuse sterilized ETTs, as I would expect ;)
I guess there's more liability issues with humans (or something like that).

On the pet front, it's interesting to think about how we pay for pet care (predominantly) out of pocket, but not our own (many people, anyway).

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Ya but we do have a much longer walk to the helipad than to the ambulance bay haha
True. Have on occasion had to give you fine folks a .1 mile lift to SLU, I imagine that is not the most ideal situation on your end.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Seems like it might be safe to reuse sterilized ETTs, as I would expect ;)
I guess there's more liability issues with humans (or something like that).

On the pet front, it's interesting to think about how we pay for pet care (predominantly) out of pocket, but not our own (many people, anyway).

Yep. And you can always talk to your vet about prices. An ethical vet will only do what you can afford. Lots of clients balk at the cost of vet care and I can't count how many people have called my wife heartless because she won't perform $2000 worth of care on their pet for free or do the work and the "bill them". Sorry. You have to pay. It's how my wife makes her living.

I'll will say that Trupanion Pet Insurance is a great idea for anyone with a new puppy and if you're ever stuck, you can apply for care credit to pay your vet bill. It's usually 18 months with zero interest.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
My washing machine just blew up on me. Anybody have any good reccomendations for one? That'll save me water and not beep all the time

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
you can also play in a band with Monkey's suggestion!