the 100% directionless thread

Just one more reason I want to move there
It's cold and miserable at the moment! Judging from your posts and skill set would need to challenge up the CCP cert or you would get bored for sure!!

You don't need a degree to apply to Stanford's PA program. Just meet their GE requirements and have a minimum of 3000 hours of HCE. Probably will still work on the masters route though.

Some states, though not all, require a Master's for licensure. Its kind of a mess with some programs requiring Bachelor's others not, some granting degrees some not, and some states requiring Bachelor's, Bachelor's + Master's, and some only requiring certs.

If it's anything like the CAH's in the northeast, you'll be reminded of your paramedic roots every day!

Do you still do EMS at all?
I've no doubt that I'll be reminded on a daily basis. I haven't done EMS (not by choice) in about 10 years. As it turned out, it probably was a good choice given where I'm at now. My current non-medical gig allowed me to have a LOT of study time and greatly contributed to getting me through prerequisite updates (with a 4.0) and got me through nursing school, where I graduated with honors while working full-time.

Now that I'm going to be less tied to a 5-day work week, I have a better chance to actually get back on an ambulance. Until now, I've only been available 2 days per week, and fixed days at that. That's not exactly conducive to paramedic/EMS employment around here.

Eying a PHTLS course on a UCLA campus....in Inglewood. The only other feasible locations within driving distance (at least according to NAEMT's website) are Corona and Palm Springs. I'm looking at the course primarily for CE hours to maintain my National Registry. Anyone familiar with any of these locations and have any preferences?

Eying a PHTLS course on a UCLA campus....in Inglewood. The only other feasible locations within driving distance (at least according to NAEMT's website) are Corona and Palm Springs. I'm looking at the course primarily for CE hours to maintain my National Registry. Anyone familiar with any of these locations and have any preferences?
Well I would choose palm springs but I am biased haha.

The weather is nice this time of year haha
Yep. It's just slightly busy this time of the year. Is it AMR that offers the PHTLS class out here in the desert?

Yep. It's just slightly busy this time of the year. Is it AMR that offers the PHTLS class out here in the desert?

Not to sure, I would like to think it would be DRMC offering the class since they are a level 2 trauma center.

Not to sure, I would like to think it would be DRMC offering the class since they are a level 2 trauma center.
It's possible but the "merit badge" classes such as PHTLS are usually offered by fire departments/ambulances companies.

It's possible but the "merit badge" classes such as PHTLS are usually offered by fire departments/ambulances companies.

Ok did some research I found two websites that offer a PHTLS at DRMC. One only gave dates for Oct. 2014, the other for March 29 of this year. Looked at county fire didn't find any class dates but it sounds like they offer a course at Ben Clark Training Center. All I got for AMR was a name and a phone number, no dates or locations (website is being rebuilt) I'll link the websites if anyone around the Southern California is interested.

http://www.entityeducation.com/phtls-palm-springs-101814.html The website with dates for last year.
https://www.naemt.org/education/CourseDirectory.aspx?Mode=Results&facilitystate=CA&Program_Type=ALL Lists dates/ locations for what looks like all of CA.
http://www.rvcfire.org/ourDepartment/Documents/2013 Annual Report.pdf County fire (page 41) no dates, just a location.
http://www.amr-ces.com AMR, website is being rebuilt.

Yeah the one I was looking at was Desert Regional Medical Center. But the dates they offer won't work (since I need the hours before the end of March). Also Palm Springs is like an hour and a half away from me, vs ~30min for Corona and ~45min for Inglewood (traffic dependent lol). The only one I see on the NAEMT site that really works for me is the one at UCLA in Inglewood on the 28th and 1st. So I guess that narrows it down some lol

It is fun to watch this site grow. We are all proud of the hard work you put in chimpie! And I would say we are the leading ems source!
Thanks, but it's not just me. We've had great Community Leaders over the years that have worked on the forum, helping shape it to what it is today. Not to mention a few that have done some marketing work, held contests, etc.

Of course, we've had some great members that have been very welcoming, provided answers to questions, shared knowledge and experiences, and overall be a mentor to our new members. That's what "community" is all about.

so no more sac?! I still wonder if Ive ever met you or ran into you....Ive been in all the ERs there
I had a two day ER rotation last spring at Mercy General... and I've been volunteering on the PCU and Med Tele on Tues/Wed evenings since early December. Otherwise, you would have to go back to 2001 or so... at least for the Sacramento area.

Hubs is on his kelly days, and I'm off as well! Headed out to ski. It's a beautiful 50 degrees out in colorado today!

Anyone else getting out today?

Avy Level 1 today and the rest of the weekend in Estes Park! Now to get work to reimburse...

Back