the 100% directionless thread

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Toned out for a box alarm last night, as we show up the thing is already burnt to the ground. Fire calls over the radio "we have a barn fully involved." You kidding me? I'm no firefighter thank god, but I could have put that thing out with a garden hose. Sat there for a while then was relieved. Now I know how they feel when they get toned to medical calls. Yuck.
Can You Guys tech calls or does the medic 2 (medic) have to attend the calls.??

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Dispatch is being manned by an animal control officer. Seems legit.

Last edited:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So I'm working my normal 12 hour car, 0730-1930. Now we use a regional dispatch (one center for 12 cities plus the local airport), they know we go out of service at 1930, but won't put us OOS automatically, we have to call them over the radio, and they have absolutely zero qualms about dispatching us to a call if we haven't done so yet as proven tonight when I try to call out, well it was a tie whether the squelch of my radio or "Pre-alert" popped up on the MDT first...

Anjel

Forum Angel
Does anyone wear gloves under their nitrile gloves? It's so cold and my hands are always frozen.

Angel

Paramedic
got fired after i quit today....
over that bs taxi call we ran monday.
no more emt jobs for me!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Congradolences? I guess

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
got fired after i quit today....
over that bs taxi call we ran monday.
no more emt jobs for me!
On to bigger and better things! No sense in working for anyone that sketchy any longer than you have to.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
A local FF/EMT's house burnt down last night when she was working. Her station was first due. I can't imagine what it would be like to hear your own address come over the radio for a working structure fire! Fortunately no humans were hurt as no one was home, but they lost pets and a lot of belongings.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Does anyone wear gloves under their nitrile gloves? It's so cold and my hands are always frozen.
When it's that cold out, I break out my Glove Mate liners. Keeps my hands warm but, alas, my fingers still get a bit cold. Sometimes I've been known to wear them when it's way hot out as it helps me put gloves on my sweaty hands.

Anjel

Forum Angel
When it's that cold out, I break out my Glove Mate liners. Keeps my hands warm but, alas, my fingers still get a bit cold. Sometimes I've been known to wear them when it's way hot out as it helps me put gloves on my sweaty hands.

Ah thanks! Maybe I'll look into that. That way my fingers are still available for IV starts. It's just so damn cold already, that I'm scared how the actual winter is going to be.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Ah thanks! Maybe I'll look into that. That way my fingers are still available for IV starts. It's just so damn cold already, that I'm scared how the actual winter is going to be.
I first learned about the Glove Mates liners about 15 years ago. A CALSTAR flight nurse introduced me to them on one particularly hot summer day. A few weeks later I found a box and started using them. What's really awesome about them is that unless they get dirty or stinky, you can use a single pair pretty much all day and toss them when you need to. Of course for certain runs, I've been known to just toss the pair along with the gloves. They're meant to be disposable. In a pinch, if you're just looking for something to help out with getting gloves on and off of sweaty hands, you also could just get a box of tubular net bandage material, cut a small length of that stuff and use it like the aforementioned glove mates.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
@Anjel I wear nitrile gloves under search gloves when I go through people's pockets...had too many close calls with needle stick and the IV drug users so I bought a pair of puncture proof search gloves.

As far as gloves under my nitrile gloves, no. I usually will move to the unit pretty quickly if it's that cold outside. I'm a mountain kid though so my cold is colder than most people's definition of cold.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So a firefighter in my medic internship area was arrested while on duty for murder.

Apparently the police department came in to the station during the night with guns drawn and raided it and then arrested the firefighter...

So a firefighter in my medic internship area was arrested while on duty for murder.

Apparently the police department came in to the station during the night with guns drawn and raided it and then arrested the firefighter...
Any further info on this?

Anjel

Forum Angel
@Anjel I wear nitrile gloves under search gloves when I go through people's pockets...had too many close calls with needle stick and the IV drug users so I bought a pair of puncture proof search gloves.

As far as gloves under my nitrile gloves, no. I usually will move to the unit pretty quickly if it's that cold outside. I'm a mountain kid though so my cold is colder than most people's definition of cold.

It's been 14*ish. It's the car accident usually where my fingers feel like they are going to fall off. And we've had a lot of roll overs lately.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Apparently, one of the maintenance crews clearing some trees at the hospital crashed their truck into the hospital...

I haven't seen any news stories about it but we were told directly from the fire chief
Was this by chance the related to the murder at the BNSF facilities in Tehachapi?