the 100% directionless thread

Anjel

Forum Angel

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
First night shift in a while tomorrow...worked 0500-1700 today then 1630-0430 tomorrow...what the f was I thinking?

I know how you feel. I work 3 days in a row. 6a-6a,6p-6a,6p-6a, 4 days off. This week was slow though.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I just finished my rotation in psych. On the medical side, a lot of energy was spent on diagnosis and treatment. With in-patients, it was a lot of dose-adjusting with the end goal being a safe discharge. With ED consults it was dispo-decision making, and maybe starting some meds with peeps who would be admitted. In this setting I wasn't really exposed to any psychotherapy. Anyways, my point is that the mental health workers, nurses, and therapists has way more interaction on a daily basis with the patients, and lots more hands-on working on skills than the docs did. Something to think about if you like mental patients.
I noticed much the same thing during my psych rotation in nursing school... The nurses spent LOTS of time with the patients and could usually spot (and stop) trouble coming before it was readily apparent. I'm still in awe of that...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
We got raped yesterday/last night [emoji21] 3 minutes of sleep....
Were they kind enough to at least not use a sandpaper condom?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Did they at least buy you dinner first?
Luckily our Lt got us out for a few so we could get back and eat dinner. Even cold dinner is delicious when you're famished. Lol
Were they kind enough to at least not use a sandpaper condom?
I don't know, I do still feel a bit abrased... [emoji21]

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Nice, it's a lot more fun. You gonna be able to upgrade once you're a medic?
To be honest, I am not sure. It sounds like there isn't a lot of turn over there so I am somewhat expecting to have to wait for an open medic position once I get my license. I'll find out.

Angel

Paramedic
To be honest, I am not sure. It sounds like there isn't a lot of turn over there so I am somewhat expecting to have to wait for an open medic position once I get my license. I'll find out.

Well that's a good thing at least. Now Im curious...

I was watching diners drives and dives now I want to go to chop house burgers in Arlington! I should plan a road trip to Texas

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My partner and I have started our third consecutive Denzel movie of the shift. And we started with both Hunger Games. Today has been a day.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Sigh...just found out I HAVE to be in San Diego Thursday night...fortunately I'm not working that day, but I am on Wednesday, so I just sent an email asking if anyone wants to do a trade for Monday (my only off day this week when you factor in my monthly drill) so I have Wed off to pack and do laundry and whatnot....Now time to see who checks their city email on a Sunday

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
@Tigger Haha which movies?

I barely remember now, my brain is now non functional.

The Pelican Brief, John Q, and Fallen. All five consecutively, with no break. It's a new record, especially considering how hard it is snowing. We had two calls during the run but dispatch messed both of them up and they weren't in our district. Hooray?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I barely remember now, my brain is now non functional.

The Pelican Brief, John Q, and Fallen. All five consecutively, with no break. It's a new record, especially considering how hard it is snowing. We had two calls during the run but dispatch messed both of them up and they weren't in our district. Hooray?

I'm all for having a slow day, but after a while I start to get a little stir crazy during a 24.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If we don't start running calls again soon I'm gonna lose it. I've been detailed out to our substation which is rather slow while some new hires get orientated at the station that has actual call volume. Usually we switch stations every three shifts, but I'm on my fifth shift now out there...

Angel

Paramedic
@Tigger Geez what's up with that?! I love not running calls at my IFT job (especially since 60% of them are 40-120 mins out of town) but 911 would prob drive me crazy too. I like the drama I guess.
I've only seen John Q of those movies you listed though.

I finally got my leather man raptor and its pretty dang sturdy, I ordered an extra belt clip though...on accident. Should've read better.

@Chewy20, you ever been to that place? The host makes everything seem good but his reaction to that burger has me convinced.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Our substation is in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing to do besides shovel snow and work on the truck when it comes to actual work activities. We work out too I guess, but I enjoy running calls so I get all cabin fevery.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
@Angel I haven't but I have heard of it. Next time I am out that way for a Stars game or something I will probably stop by. I try not to watch those shows lol, makes me go out and spend money on a big meal usually.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
BOOM!!! Falcons win it. Again in dramatic fashion. And we are now atop the NFC South with a 4-6 record. Whatever works...

Anjel

Forum Angel
But how bout them Lions!??