the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Whew, its drill weekend and it took me 3hr 34min to finish a 12 mile ruck march with 42 lbs in my ruck, not counting weight of water, load bearing vest and my M4

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Whew, its drill weekend and it took me 3hr 34min to finish a 12 mile ruck march with 42 lbs in my ruck, not counting weight of water, load bearing vest and my M4

Slacker.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
:p

:lol:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If memory serves, the standard is 3 hours. ;)

Up hill both ways back in the day too, right?

I kid I kid.

Dang I'm on one this morning.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
So I just gained chat access and I have to wonder, does anybody still use it? Back in the day when this thread was started, it seemed like the chat was commonly used...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I haven't been on chat in a very long time, and certainly haven't heard of it mentioned, either.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If it was compatible with iOS, I'd be on it more.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
What he said. ^

MrJones

Iconoclast
Up hill both ways back in the day too, right?

I kid I kid.

Dang I'm on one this morning.

Not both ways, but Ft. Campbell has plenty of hills to hump. For the record, I completed my last ruck prior to retirement - I was 45 at the time - in a downpour in 2:35.

Definitely an "embrace the suck" kind of day.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Not both ways, but Ft. Campbell has plenty of hills to hump. For the record, I completed my last ruck prior to retirement - I was 45 at the time - in a downpour in 2:35.

Definitely an "embrace the suck" moment.

12 miles in 2:35 so that's about 5 mph average.

Dude that's moving with a ruck...well played sir! Well played.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
... Or an IO.

Ask King County Medic the reasons they place CLs in the field.

What is their rationale? Just curious.

I wonder if pressors intraosseously have any deleterious effects.

Nope. The only problem with pressors via IO is that it can be hard to tell when an IO infiltrates, which is obviously really bad......however, the very nature of any situation where an IO and pressors are both required probably easily justifies the risk.

FWIW, pressors are routinely run through PIV's in the OR and for days on end in the ICU. As long as they are patent there is very little risk. Just check the site frequently to make sure it is running well and isn't infiltrating and/or inflamed.

There probably is less risk of extravasation and/or phlebitis via a CL, but CL's also dramatically increase the risk of other problems which are even worse, such as sepsis, pneumothorax, and rupture of a major vessel.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
What is their rationale? Just curious.

We beat this to death in a thread with a KCM1 Medic a few months ago and it came down to ego and nothing more. They do it because they can. There is absolutely no benefit for the patient and even worse puts them at risk for major complications.

There is a promo video around somewhere that shows a KCM1 medic placing a CL with non-sterile gloves and what appears to be no prep what so ever. "clean" environment may even be an overstatement.

FWIW, pressors are routinely run through PIV's in the OR and for days on end in the ICU. As long as they are patent there is very little risk. Just check the site frequently to make sure it is running well and isn't infiltrating and/or inflamed.

True. We frequently run pressors through PIVs during RRTs and such until we get them to the Unit to place a PICC. PICC lines have really cut down on our CL use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Welp...stupid motion alarm that's watching my truck woke me up because of a kitty and now I can't get back to sleep because the shoulder is killing me after my dumbass move yesterday.

Been doing a lot of reading and I'm pretty sure because of where the repair is I have to be stabilized neutrally for the 6 weeks post-op...

Hurray for being stuck in something like this for a month and a half...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/24/ypubehub.jpg[/IMG

I have no doubt I'll be given a dirt cheap one that's not comfortable at all and have to fight with the insurance company to be reimbursed for a nicer one. :rolleyes: but if I have to wear it for that long I'm
Gonna make sure it's the most comfortable one I can find.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrJones

Iconoclast
Welp...stupid motion alarm that's watching my truck woke me up because of a kitty and now I can't get back to sleep because the shoulder is killing me after my dumbass move yesterday.

Been doing a lot of reading and I'm pretty sure because of where the repair is I have to be stabilized neutrally for the 6 weeks post-op...

Hurray for being stuck in something like this for a month and a half...

ypubehub.jpg

I have no doubt I'll be given a dirt cheap one that's not comfortable at all and have to fight with the insurance company to be reimbursed for a nicer one. :rolleyes: but if I have to wear it for that long I'm
Gonna make sure it's the most comfortable one I can find.

You might want to add that trailing bracket to your image code ;)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Nice catch. I wasn't quick enough to edit it :-/

u4y2a9ym.jpg

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
Nice catch. I wasn't quick enough to edit it :-/

u4y2a9ym.jpg

Well, all you have to do is wire in the joystick to control your battle mech, and then the guy who's been messing with your truck won't be any trouble at all.