the 100% directionless thread

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Meh whatever.

Rescue 4 is obnoxiously big. You could have a freaking 15 person dance party all the way home back there.

At least their rigs don't break down all the time like Banner's. When I was interviewing at BC they affectionately referred to their two medium duties as "the 250k $ paperweight".

:lol:

How big is ridiculously big? I just finished up my formal application to them... the more I find out about Humboldt, the funner they sound.

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
How big is ridiculously big? I just finished up my formal application to them... the more I find out about Humboldt, the funner they sound.
My buddy worked for Humboldt General Hospital EMS last year for a coupla weeks during Burning Man. Said it was the most fun he had had in his life. That could've just been a by product from Burning Man, though...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

They have a few regular cab Medium Duties...I think they're Freightliners but now I can't remember. Then they have at least one crew cab medium duty. So 4 door cab plus a massive medium duty box. I believe that one is a Freightliner as well. They've got their big heavy rescue, a few supe trucks, I wanna say a charger as well and then they have some type Is as backups.

My buddy worked for Humboldt General Hospital EMS last year for a coupla weeks during Burning Man. Said it was the most fun he had had in his life. That could've just been a by product from Burning Man, though...

I was so mad when they undercut us on that bid. We're not allowed to work for them out there because of it.

While yea Black Rock City Medical Center or whatever they call it is run by HGH, it's a little bit different than working FT EMS for them ;)

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
They have a few regular cab Medium Duties...I think they're Freightliners but now I can't remember. Then they have at least one crew cab medium duty. So 4 door cab plus a massive medium duty box. I believe that one is a Freightliner as well. They've got their big heavy rescue, a few supe trucks, I wanna say a charger as well and then they have some type Is as backups.

I was so mad when they undercut us on that bid. We're not allowed to work for them out there because of it.

While yea Black Rock City Medical Center or whatever they call it is run by HGH, it's a little bit different than working FT EMS for them ;)
No doubt it is! I have one of those minds where if I can say something in topic, but doesn't really add anything to what's going, I still will. Haha.
It's still on my bucket list to make it out there, though.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No doubt it is! I have one of those minds where if I can say something in topic, but doesn't really add anything to what's going, I still will. Haha.

It's still on my bucket list to make it out there, though.

I've never been but did an intercept at like 0200 before we stopped playing nice and doing them. That was a trip. Might try to go this year seeing as I have all this time off. Not sure where the ticket money is coming from though :lol: A lot of my friends have gone and most want to go back. I don't think I could do a whole week out there though.

No worries dude I was just giving you a hard time.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'm not saying they don't have a big scope...just saying I've never actually heard of either being placed in the field..

I can imaging very, very few scenarios where a CL would be necessary or appropriate in the field, vs a PIV or an IO.

And considering the relatively high degree of difficulty and complications associated with them, I would not want to be anyone's "once in a great while" CL placement. Hell, they aren't even done that much anymore in many hospitals.

Pretty much true of chest tubes, as well. They aren't as hard, but still plenty that can go wrong and very rarely could be justified in the field, IMO.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I can imaging very, very few scenarios where a CL would be necessary or appropriate in the field, vs a PIV or an IO.

And considering the relatively high degree of difficulty and complications associated with them, I would not want to be anyone's "once in a great while" CL placement. Hell, they aren't even done that much anymore in many hospitals.

Pretty much true of chest tubes, as well. They aren't as hard, but still plenty that can go wrong and very rarely could be justified in the field, IMO.

We were talking about this yesterday trying to come up with a good reason. Pressors and a stupid long transport time were about the only thing we got though. And that was with the caveat "if you can't get a good big ac or EJ."

I'm going to ask my buddy about it I'm interested. They're super aggressive with their QA/CQI process from what I'm told.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Because its cool and you can't do it :cool:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Gahhhh it didn't work.

Silly computer is smarter than me apparently.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I actually learned how, and had a protocol to do it. It was a bloody mess. We always just drilled an IO. "Zzzzzuuuuuuurrrrpp!l" Done.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Apparently?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I actually learned how, and had a protocol to do it. It was a bloody mess. We always just drilled an IO. "Zzzzzuuuuuuurrrrpp!l" Done.

Yep.

That's what we do.

I wonder if pressors intraosseously have any deleterious effects.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Give me a couple weeks and I can tell you... (When I get my PubMed, Ovid, and UpToDate access back)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I see a couple case studies citing extravasation, but I can't access anything that really talks about its use and effectiveness. Grrr....

Edit: Just pay attention to DE :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I see a couple case studies citing extravasation, but I can't access anything that really talks about its use and effectiveness. Grrr....

Haha! I got you stuck on medical Sunday too!