the 100% directionless thread

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
Ugh this shift cannot go buy any slower. And the downside? It's been busy as hell. I'm just mentally exhausted. 50 hours down. Ten to go

Sounds like a tough shift. Hang in there your almost done!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A way out of where you work. That's why a lot of medics go to fire or something else because there is usually not much room to advance just working on a ambulance no matter how much you love your job, you just want to be able to try different things and advance your training, Which makes since.

The problem is there are some real perks to my agency. It's an awesome system, especially for a new medic but in the end it's still a private. They just had that fact behind the Public Utility Model. Lots of ups and downs.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
The problem is there are some real perks to my agency. It's an awesome system, especially for a new medic but in the end it's still a private. They just had that fact behind the Public Utility Model. Lots of ups and downs.

Oh ya, you do work for a great company, great system, good experience. But not much potential to move up, except for supervisor and community paramedics that they are trying out, one thing that sucks is the 6 months of working something else before getting put on ambulance, you were pretty lucky get hired straight on as a EMT-I. Best of luck to you with what you decide to do, I am in the same situation deciding where to start out with my AEMT, your company is defiantly on my mind plus some of my family have worked there. But any ways good luck.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Oh ya, you do work for a great company, great system, good experience. But not much potential to move up, except for supervisor and community paramedics that they are trying out, one thing that sucks is the 6 months of working something else before getting put on ambulance, you were pretty lucky get hired straight on as a EMT-I. Best of luck to you with what you decide to do, I am in the same situation deciding where to start out with my AEMT, your company is defiantly on my mind plus some of my family have worked there. But any ways good luck.

I guess it's not much of a secret where I work anymore ha.

How long ago did your family members work here??

They've hired plenty of I/A's without experience straight into the field, we're hurting with all the FD hiring lately.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
I guess it's not much of a secret where I work anymore ha.

How long ago did your family members work here??

They've hired plenty of I/A's without experience straight into the field, we're hurting with all the FD hiring lately.

My father worked there for about 12 years, he was a supervisor with them for 10 of them, he quit about 4 years ago and worked for a smaller company where unfortunately he injured his back and cant do it any more after 30 years of service. well maybe I should get a application going for AEMT, I dont want to work 6 months of pre diem jobs like special events or wheel chair transport, I really want to get on ambulance, get experience and do what I love.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My father worked there for about 12 years, he was a supervisor with them for 10 of them, he quit about 4 years ago and worked for a smaller company where unfortunately he injured his back and cant do it any more after 30 years of service. well maybe I should get a application going for AEMT, I dont want to work 6 months of pre diem jobs like special events or wheel chair transport, I really want to get on ambulance, get experience and do what I love.

With you family history here I'd say you'd be a fool not to apply. Who knows you might even draw my partner as an FTO. If that happens I apologize in advance hahaha.

With that said EMS is one of those jobs where you have to pay your dues sometimes.

Pm me if you need help with anything.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
First interview today, and it was like a conversation. Probably the best interview experience I've had. Too bad I'll be commuting an hour from where we'll live when we move if I get that job. We will see how tomorrow's interview will work out. It should be much more intense and involved.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm kinda stuck now with my forced hiatus from fulltime work. I'm hoping to get a ski patrol spot for the winter but I won't find out until October. If that doesn't work out the city ambulance contractor has an academy in October as well that I think I can get into fairly easily. I'm just not sure what to do in the interim. There are four ambulance companies near me. One is the city, one is the place that just screwed me, and the other two are small privates that I have already turned down offers from as I thought I had a steady job. Even if I try and work for either of those two I'll have to quit in October so that just doesn't seem to make sense. Guess I'm going to have to survive on part time hours eek.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
God, it is so freaking slow out here today.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Damn you Sansio! Export my chart!

Flash flood warnings, mud slides that close interstates, hail the size of nickels and we still haven't done much.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I finally got to push one of those code blue buttons on the wall today when an RN ran into the nursing station saying that the patient that the primary team (I'm on a consult service right now, and we saw him a few days ago) were transferring to the ICU had coded. My life is complete, I can now drop out of med school.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I finally got to push one of those code blue buttons on the wall today when an RN ran into the nursing station saying that the patient that the primary team (I'm on a consult service right now, and we saw him a few days ago) were transferring to the ICU had coded. My life is complete, I can now drop out of med school.

225codeblue.jpg

=
easy-buttons800x800.jpg

Much better, and more fun, than having to call the operator to rattle off which tower, floor, and room you are in.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Much better, and more fun, than having to call the operator to rattle off which tower, floor, and room you are in.

That's the advantage of having a set room numbering system.

Floor, unit area (North, center, South for most floors), 2 digit room number.