the 100% directionless thread

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I get married in a month. I'm about to sign up for a bit of overtime . This is going to be a busy month, but soon it'll be worth it.

Ugh thats terrible. So sorry. :rofl:

SSwain

Forum Captain
Power outage last night...rain turned to ice turned to snow and wind.
The lights went out @ 8:30, we had just got the kids in bed. So now they are awake and my daughter was scared (she's 8, and her first outage)

Went old school and dug out the oil lamps. We turned it into an adventure. Finally, they fell asleep at 9:45 ish to the soft glow of the flickering light. Sure was peaceful with no background noise. Just the wind outside.

Power came back on around midnight. Turns out a good portion of our county was down. Still don't know for sure what the cause was.

That is all.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
The lights went out @ 8:30, we had just got the kids in bed. So now they are awake and my daughter was scared (she's 8, and her first outage)

Went old school and dug out the oil lamps. We turned it into an adventure. Finally, they fell asleep at 9:45 ish to the soft glow of the flickering light. Sure was peaceful with no background noise. Just the wind outside.

Power came back on around midnight. Turns out a good portion of our county was down. Still don't know for sure what the cause was.

That is all.

Lucky the heat held up in the place.

During hurricane sandy it was freezing after the warmth got out.

I also used a blowtorch to boil a pot of water to make tea.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
2 more hours and I can go home... 8 calls so far tonight...

Lucky the heat held up in the place.

During hurricane sandy it was freezing after the warmth got out.

I also used a blowtorch to boil a pot of water to make tea.

I'm not sure whats better, heat or cold after a storm, it's usually really humid heat which is why I would think cold might be better...

SSwain

Forum Captain
I'm not sure whats better, heat or cold after a storm, it's usually really humid heat which is why I would think cold might be better...

And from my standpoint, I think heat would be better. A dry cold with high winds....bad juju.

My next house will have a woodburning fireplace....and a backup generator.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
And from my standpoint, I think heat would be better. A dry cold with high winds....bad juju.

My next house will have a woodburning fireplace....and a backup generator.

I've got a generator but it's a stand alone, doesn't run the whole house. Last hurricane we had a bunch of fans everywhere around the house but it was still boiling everywhere.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
2 more hours and I can go home... 8 calls so far tonight...

Heat is better.

I'd rather deal with humid and hot than being cold and not having enough clothes or looking for a heat source.

My stand alone generator could always cool part of the house with a small window unit. Getting heat is harder.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Heat is better.

I'd rather deal with humid and hot than being cold and not having enough clothes or looking for a heat source.

My stand alone generator could always cool part of the house with a small window unit. Getting heat is harder.

Why? You can layer clothes but can only strip down so much and then you're Kim kardashian

JPINFV

Gadfly
This, I was wondering why everyone acts like this is a good thing o.o
game-over-white-on-black.jpg

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member

That is all.
Oil lamps are awesome. I keep a bunch around here for emergencies, I use paraffin oil from a Hebrew specialty store.. It burns way cleaner then the red kerosene my folks used when I was a kid ..

I picked up some really neat lamps off Amazon, they screw right on top of a regular mason jar, take a 3/4" wick.

I hope the little one wasn't too scared.

Anjel

Forum Angel
The things my teacher says.

"So if you are pleasing yourself with gasoline and catch fire. That's 9% arm and 1% *ahem* then you switch to a dry dressing"

Talking about wet and dry dressings for burns lol

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
The things my teacher says.

"So if you are pleasing yourself with gasoline and catch fire. That's 9% arm and 1% *ahem* then you switch to a dry dressing"

Talking about wet and dry dressings for burns lol

Whatever tickles your pickle eh?

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Anybody else use glad wrap for burns? I have recently had its awesomeness for burns validated.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Anybody else use glad wrap for burns? I have recently had its awesomeness for burns validated.

Glad wrap is a type of Saran Wrap for us... I don't think we would use it on burns... i use it for my lunch sometimes.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Glad wrap is a type of Saran Wrap for us... I don't think we would use it on burns... i use it for my lunch sometimes.

Why not? Once cooling is complete it holds in any fluid that collects, prevents air from getting it which relieves some pain and helps to minimise/prevent infection?

I was quite skeptical at first, but I tell you, having used it several times, its magic stuff and its so cheap!