the 100% directionless thread

Achilles

Forum Moron
Never watched Rescue Me before.

Not bad. Certainly no Chicago Fire :rofl:

You know, I haven't been able to catch Chicago fire in a few weeks, I enjoy critiquing it though.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Oof. So the hospital runs an ALS service without an EM-trained doc? That strikes me as sorta off...

How long are your transports, usually?

Some of these places don't do well when they do get an OMD who is with the times. A lot of times the pushback from the staff is so bad they new OMD will say screw it.

Last edited by a moderator:

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
The skiing is a deal breaker haha. I'm actually from Massachusetts and have been going to school in Colorado. With that concluding in May I hope to stay out here for a change of pace and scenery.

Skiing is a minimum of two hours away for me right now. :glare:

The horror!

I really know nothing about Colorado FD hiring, but best of luck.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Never watched Rescue Me before.

Not bad. Certainly no Chicago Fire :rofl:

It's really just Dennis Leary being Dennis Leary, so that's fun, no matter what uniform he wears.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Ugh. Job hunting sucks. I really like where I'm working, but the fiancé is going to be applying for jobs in Orlando. I would really love to be in central Florida, but that is a terrible place to find a job as a medic. That is where we want to be long term though, so...

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Disappointed to learn one of my patients died from community acquired pneumonia.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
After working the shift I did tonight if there's a swing shift available for the summer bid I'm going to jump on it. Get a mix of good hours but still get to have some "fun" at night but sign out before we start having to deal with the super drunk people.

Not bad being off at 0030, plus If I really want to I could squeeze in a short ride before work and still get a decent amount of sleep.

MrJones

Iconoclast
So I went with this knife for $55 shipped from amazon.

Hands down best knife I ever bought. I've never gotten a new straight bladed knife let alone serrated one that can cut through an index card like a laser with one light swipe.

Spyderco has definitely won me over.

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Resc...1358985847&sr=8-1&keywords=spyderco+rescue+93

C14BK_L.jpg

Welcome to the cult.

I still carry a Clipit Rescue (IOW, the knife you bought; check the round logo on your handle if you haven't already) that I bought in '90 or '91. I have other blades for specific uses, but I've yet to find a better EDC.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
How much time do you get off for 14 straight shifts? Is it a 2 week on 2 week off thing?
It is 2 weeks in and 2 weeks out. I lose a day to travel so it is 12 home and 16 away. I get paid for the travel days plus my flights are covered. It is a pretty sweet gig.

I will actually end up seeing my wife more working this schedule than my old 2 days 2 nights 4 off.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Yea! Computers are down! That means I don't have to open the safe and inventory station narc supply this morning!

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I get to get poked by someone doing their first IV on a human today. <_<

Upside: After they poke me, I get to poke them. :ph34r:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Ahhh yes, counting 3 extra sets of narcs every morning and keeping the logs straight ect...don't miss it at all

Dude I know. I'm on 31. We weren't having to count station narcs. That was 33s job. But now all three jobs count the station narcs when they get on. Some new thing from ops. It stinks. And we are doing it all in Ambutrack. I have to count truck drugs, then 33s drugs (that are in the station safe overnight) then the station drugs, then a combination of the station drugs and 33s. And there is a septate chart for each count. Its stupid....Including all the counts all the trucks do on their drugs and station drugs, narcs get counted 10 times a day.

Disaster waiting to happen if you ask me. The more they get handled, the more opportunity for accident. Someone will muscling something by accident and heads will roll.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
My new uniform is a flight suit. I thought I would hate it but I love it.

Star of Life on the back? I almost bought a jumpsuit/flight suit at my old job...because their uniform policy was so vague...and it didn't say I couldn't wear a flight suit.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Probably my first rule of nursing is "Do not touch my pump"

I admit this guy with unstable angina who is going for a CABG the next day. I do all the admission stuff, assess him, and then hang a Tridil drip. I stay with him for the next 15 mins doing serial Bps and make sure he is tolerating it. So I hook him up to the bedside monitor and go to the nurses station to chart and check my othe patients. After about 15 mins his pressures start coming up and then a few minutes later I got a call from the room saying he has chest pain. I go into the room and this guy looks like :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Pale diaphroteic, crushing chest pain, and all. I start assessing and call for a stat EKG and labs. I am thinking this guy is having a MI. I go and check my pump and it is turned off. I look and make sure it's plugged in and has battery life and everything is good. I ask the family member if anyone touched the pump and she said "oh ya it was beeping so I silenced it, I work at a nursing home". Umm say what. You didn't silence it you turned it off. Don't touch my pump. I will slap you

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
My new uniform is a flight suit. I thought I would hate it but I love it.

I'm a big fan of the "Medic Onsie". We have two different types, a heavyweight for the winter and a light, thinner weight for summer.

They're pretty awesome.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Probably my first rule of nursing is "Do not touch my pump"

I admit this guy with unstable angina who is going for a CABG the next day. I do all the admission stuff, assess him, and then hang a Tridil drip. I stay with him for the next 15 mins doing serial Bps and make sure he is tolerating it. So I hook him up to the bedside monitor and go to the nurses station to chart and check my othe patients. After about 15 mins his pressures start coming up and then a few minutes later I got a call from the room saying he has chest pain. I go into the room and this guy looks like :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Pale diaphroteic, crushing chest pain, and all. I start assessing and call for a stat EKG and labs. I am thinking this guy is having a MI. I go and check my pump and it is turned off. I look and make sure it's plugged in and has battery life and everything is good. I ask the family member if anyone touched the pump and she said "oh ya it was beeping so I silenced it, I work at a nursing home". Umm say what. You didn't silence it you turned it off. Don't touch my pump. I will slap you

http://allnurses.com/

Of_course_Funnyjunk_is_better_I_m_just_sayin_that_there_cb7da5cc6791f6cd742ce69a35d7cf5a.jpg