the 100% directionless thread

A good thing to remember here is just because somebody chooses to go through the Excelsior program does not mean they didnt take 'real' A/P micro, chemistry, and physio all 5 unit courses with full labs along with every other RN prerequisite course like every otherr traditional RN. It may simply means that the schedule may have been better suited then a traditional college program. Every Excelsior grad i know completed every california rn prerequisite course alomg with traditional rn students before going to excelsior because of scheduling and other life issues

Uhh typos. Cant edit on my phone for some reason and haven't become used to this Samsung keyboard on my phone yet, so deal with the typos.. :what:

Last edited by a moderator:
So I may wind up having to testify in court next week about an alleged murder call we ran 2 years ago.

Any tips or advice on what it's like? This is a first for me.

Also, when either side asks you a question, don't answer immediately. Take a breath and then answer. It gives the lawyers time to object to the question, and you may not have to answer it.

Other than that, what has already been offered for advice is good advice.

Rant/

Sometimes I strongly dislike military students. If you act cocky in the EMT class then we are going to drill you. We know you have been doing poorly on your ride outs and in class. We have told you straight up that you have a lot to work on but that did help. So now we are drilling you and expecting you to fail. After you fail we are hoping you finally realize that you need to step your game up.

So until that happens we are going to be throwing scenarios at you. Take the hint when we are drilling you and not the other students.

/End Rant.

Rant/

Sometimes I strongly dislike military students. If you act cocky in the EMT class then we are going to drill you. We know you have been doing poorly on your ride outs and in class. We have told you straight up that you have a lot to work on but that did help. So now we are drilling you and expecting you to fail. After you fail we are hoping you finally realize that you need to step your game up.

So until that happens we are going to be throwing scenarios at you. Take the hint when we are drilling you and not the other students.

/End Rant.

Specifically 68 Whiskeys, or just in general?

Specifically 68 Whiskeys, or just in general?

Just in general. If you (not you, just students in general) want to be cocky then know what your talking about. It just seems to be that the military people tend to be more cocky.

My gosh so much studying. I don't even know what I am attempting to memorize anymore.

Rant/

/End Rant.

I've had numerous military medics come through our program and I've only had a problem once. Most of them have been very aware of their need to relearn the civilian approach to EMS, and that little of what they learned in the military is relevant to assessing chest pain.

By and large, I've had very positive experiences with military.

I worked with 2 68Ws who were still active duty who were huge Jackasses. They were great with trauma, but sucked hard core at medical, and were not willing at accept that 68W training does not directly correlate to civilian EMS. All the ones that are off active duty I've worked with have been fine.

Rant/

/End Rant.

Sounds like actionable prejudice on the part of the instructors to me. Lack of knowledge should be evident in normal instruction/testing. Personal observations about attitude ought to be attended to personally, but be careful not to allow it to be interpreted as intruding into the instruction. Just put out scenarios which test the expected material, but include the oppportunity for the badness to emerge (i.e., if the student has a tendency to take too much initiative or goes off protocols too readily, set a scenario where backup is going to be long delayed and communication is cut off. Then you ream them for using the Quickie Saw to amputate, etc.). If you consistently reinforce that the class curriculum is sanctoined and teaches the civilian realities, then you won't need to stick your neck out or lose a misdirected but potentially valuable student.

Or take him/her out for a couple beers and explain the story of EMS life and oveeager ex-mil's.

I officially claim dibs

On the phrase:

"OCCAM'S SWISS ARMY KNIFE"

315-1224153321-6a00e55189186f8833011168d17088970c-800wi.jpg

FML, today is going to be a bad freaking day.

I've had numerous military medics come through our program and I've only had a problem once. Most of them have been very aware of their need to relearn the civilian approach to EMS, and that little of what they learned in the military is relevant to assessing chest pain.

By and large, I've had very positive experiences with military.

Usually the military people I see are much more pleasant to teach.

They are mature, they study, they don't argue for 1 or 2 stupid points on a test.

They pay attention in class and do what you ask. (aka at least looking at the chapter before the lecture.)

I only ever met 1 former HM3 (navy corpsman for the non-sailor speaking) who was a real pain in the A$$. However, I don't think it was because he was formerly in the military, I think he just had an intrinsic personality problem and happened to be former military.

Usually the military people I see are much more pleasant to teach.

They are mature, they study, they don't argue for 1 or 2 stupid points on a test.

They pay attention in class and do what you ask. (aka at least looking at the chapter before the lecture.)

I only ever met 1 former HM3 (navy corpsman for the non-sailor speaking) who was a real pain in the A$$. However, I don't think it was because he was formerly in the military, I think he just had an intrinsic personality problem and happened to be former military.

That's been my experience for the most part.

I have seen some of my co-instructors initiate adversarial interactions with these students based on what I beleive to be their own insecurities.

I'm not suggesting that this is the case with firefite.

DRT management from our division is being deployed today out east.

DRT management from our division is being deployed today out east.

Yep. All DRT members are on stand-by with a high likelihood of being deployed.

Halloween weekend+ full moon + mini Detroit = FML

Tonight I tried a new recipe for beef-tips in gravy. My dad saw the amount of bouillon it called for (2 cubes) and said it would be far too salty, and asked me to replace one bouillon cube with a packet of brown gravy mix. He also asked me to omit the can of mushrooms it called for.

The result was a disappointment as far as going for beef-tips in gravy.

I did manage to salvage it by taking a left over baked potato, removed the skin, then diced it, added it to the 'beef tips' along with some frozen carrots, and turned it into an excellent beef "stew".

Yep. All DRT members are on stand-by with a high likelihood of being deployed.

I'm hoping they do two waves. I'll have a chance at deployment if they do. I made close to 5k from Issac, and wouldn't mind another 2 or 3 grand

Back