the 100% directionless thread

Things I have learned today (after less than 12 hours in Chicago with two boys):

1. Apparently, even in a place as busy as downtown Chicago, it is possible for a 9 year old to be oblivious enough to his surroundings that he will still walk out into the middle of the street without looking if you don't stop him.

2. If it has been 2 years since you have been someplace, and that was the first time in memory you had been there as an adult, you obviously know how to get anywhere and everywhere without having to ask for directions.

3. If you tell a 10 year old one of the tallest buildings in the world is in the city you are visiting, there isn't a doubt in his mind that you know exactly where said building is, and can tell him how to get there from where ever you happen to be when he asks about it. (And it doesn't matter how many times you tell him you don't know exactly where the building is.)

4. Once the 10 year old finally believes that you really don't know where the building is (see #3 above), every skyscraper he sees MUST be the Sears Tower.

4. Once the 10 year old finally believes that you really don't know where the building is (see #3 above), every skyscraper he sees MUST be the Sears Tower.

I can only nod and smile at this one lol.

Ugh. Have very bad cold. Sore throat, fever, swollen lymph nodes.

Feel like hammered poop.

I remember my vascular surg rotation and spending hours in the OR wearing lead for peripheral bypass cases.

And open AAA repairs were one of my favorite surgeries to scrub in on, great chance to see anatomy.

Those sound cool. On the other hand I have a feeling that when I check the board tomorrow (post call today) we're going to have 3 surgeries, and at least 2 of them being related to AV fistulas. I'd almost say that I'd rather see a lap chole, but the last few I've seen the attending and residents have been borderline manic with controlling the camera and it was making me nauseous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to watch my dad (A retired USN Capt.) award a medal to a Navy corpsman from WWII. The guy should have been awarded in 1944, but somehow the papers got lost in the chaos of wartime record keeping, and he finally got his award today, 68 years later.

He spent 24 hours on the beach in Normandy, crawling on his belly, caring for wounded and dying soldiers despite being wounded fairly severely himself. After he got fixed up, he spent the next 22 days on the beach, working 7 days a week, 18 to 20 hours a day treating guys coming back from the front line. And they were under fire from German artillery nearly the whole time. His unit suffered 50 percent casualties.

It was quite an honor to be there today and shake his hand.

I'm going to the hospital to teach some nurses how to backboard.

That's right there is something I know that you don't. Sit back and take notes. Lol

That awkward moment when you can't get out of bed because the only bright spot in your day is a dissecting a two day old, non preserved quail.

I'm going to the hospital to teach some nurses how to backboard.

That's right there is something I know that you don't. Sit back and take notes. Lol

Why do nurses need to learn to backboard? Real healthcare providers don't believe in such practices hence hospitals don't stock backboards?

Why do nurses need to learn to backboard? Real healthcare providers don't believe in such practices hence hospitals don't stock backboards?

So if people fall or go down outside of the hospital they don't have to call 911 to get them inside? This county we are in has been obsessed with back boarding lately. People stay on the board in the ER for hours.

And hospitals here have backboards, ked boards, a Stryker stretcher, splinting supplies ( the big orange boards) and traction splints.

They sit in a pile by the front door.

Edit: it is the trauma nursing core course

Last edited by a moderator:
So if people fall or go down outside of the hospital they don't have to call 911 to get them inside? This county we are in has been obsessed with back boarding lately. People stay on the board in the ER for hours.

I have never heard of a hospital that allows staff to exit the front doors to render aid, not even in the parking lot. Maybe its a rural thing?

I have never heard of a hospital that allows staff to exit the front doors to render aid, not even in the parking lot. Maybe its a rural thing?

It's a just in case thing. For the trauma nurse course.

We are in the middle of one of the most dangerous cities in America. EMS is useless around here. I'm glad I don't work in this area.

I am getting 20 clinical hours out of the deal. That's why I am here.

This county we are in has been obsessed with back boarding lately. People stay on the board in the ER for hours.
For the nursing folks:
Risk of impaired tissue perfusion, pain, and infection? :P Seems like a wonderful idea, keeping these patients boarded for so long...

Things I have learned today (after less than 12 hours in Chicago with two boys):

1. Apparently, even in a place as busy as downtown Chicago, it is possible for a 9 year old to be oblivious enough to his surroundings that he will still walk out into the middle of the street without looking if you don't stop him.

2. If it has been 2 years since you have been someplace, and that was the first time in memory you had been there as an adult, you obviously know how to get anywhere and everywhere without having to ask for directions.

3. If you tell a 10 year old one of the tallest buildings in the world is in the city you are visiting, there isn't a doubt in his mind that you know exactly where said building is, and can tell him how to get there from where ever you happen to be when he asks about it. (And it doesn't matter how many times you tell him you don't know exactly where the building is.)

Don't ask around for the sears tower someone will laugh at you, it's called the Willis tower now
And you're in the 8th tallest building in the world.
However, it is still quite fun to look down!
By the way I recommend you stop at Unos (the original) for the best pizza around!

Would that be Oakland, Genesee, Wayne, SC?

When I worked at an ER we had several times that a visitor or employee would pass out and fall or just trip and fall. They would send an ER nurse and tech to go backboard them and bring them back to the ER.

Back