the 100% directionless thread

Much appreciated. I'm looking at buying a snowmobile not a waverunner, ski-doo vs. sea-doo ;)

Doh! Please forgive my ignorance. I know nothing of snowmobiles.

Good luck on the hunt.

Doh! Please forgive my ignorance. I know nothing of snowmobiles.

Good luck on the hunt.

Haha no worries! Thanks. I like jet skis but they get old quickly. Only so much you can do on them, plus it's about to start snowing!

I hate Landau... They are the "Skinny jeans" of scrubs.

I mostly have Cherokee or ****ies. Generic unisex scrubs are usually the cheapest however they fit kind of weird if you have broad shoulders or are muscular. I stay away from unisex and only buy the men's brands.

Oh and get pants with pockets.....Lots of pockets.

I'll buy Cherokee or ****ies from a local scrub shop, but my favorite are the ones my memere made for me. She'll add extra pockets, they fit my curves better than off the shelf, and she uses wider drawstrings for the waistband. A bonus to the ones she makes is that I get to pick out cute prints and don't need to worry about a coworker showing up with the same scrubs. I remember one day at a previous job where three of my coworkers had the same print on their scrubs, and it wasn't planned.

BigBaldGuy, If you mail-order, I can send you the website for the scrub shop I buy from. Her prices are lower than most catalogs.

Dear fellow students...

You're a medical student on a surgery rotation. The hours will be long. You're finally in the hospital and actually getting a chance to manage patients, and doing it at one of my school's better sites. Stop whining, this is what you signed up for 2 years ago.

Guess Detroit wanted to give the Yankees a break!

Hello AICD

509DD459-EBC9-4797-B312-A044D79EB1A4-6868-000002CF3F3E3C8B.jpg

Dear fellow students...

You're a medical student on a surgery rotation. The hours will be long. You're finally in the hospital and actually getting a chance to manage patients, and doing it at one of my school's better sites. Stop whining, this is what you signed up for 2 years ago.

No sarcasm at all!
I honestly love working a long shift, I do snowplowing and landscaping part time and in the winter, I get excited to stay up for 30 hours and see the sun rise and then set and rise again.
What do you consider long hours? Anything over 12?
Because anything over about 32 is long for me (w a 3 hour nap) :)

Hello AICD

509DD459-EBC9-4797-B312-A044D79EB1A4-6868-000002CF3F3E3C8B.jpg

Annnd ZAAAPPPPPPP!

Now did you get to watch it from your tele desk or in person.

One of the "cooler" things I've seen was capturing a 12-lead when the patient went into VT during the 12-lead then his AICD fired and terminated the VT. I thought it was awesome, the patient didn't agree. Luckily the amio drip warded off any more dysrhythmias. Poor guy got zapped 3 times. Once PTA, once as I walked through the door and again during my 12-lead.

Annnd ZAAAPPPPPPP!

Now did you get to watch it from your tele desk or in person.

One of the "cooler" things I've seen was capturing a 12-lead when the patient went into VT during the 12-lead then his AICD fired and terminated the VT. I thought it was awesome, the patient didn't agree. Luckily the amio drip warded off any more dysrhythmias. Poor guy got zapped 3 times. Once PTA, once as I walked through the door and again during my 12-lead.

I am watching from my desk right now. I had the patient on the floor monday and he did it twice infront of me. He is going in and out of VT/VF a few times an hour but most of the times he overdrive paces out of it instead of shocking.

I remember we had a patient who went into VTach with a pulse and his AICD shocked him into VFib. That one confused me

No sarcasm at all!
I honestly love working a long shift, I do snowplowing and landscaping part time and in the winter, I get excited to stay up for 30 hours and see the sun rise and then set and rise again.
What do you consider long hours? Anything over 12?
Because anything over about 32 is long for me (w a 3 hour nap) :)
What do I consider a long shift? Anything around 24+ (call is about 30 hours with a decent possibility of sleep... especially if we have a night float student). Currently I'm averaging about 13 hours per shift ( ~5am to ~6pm). However I take the attitude during rotations of 'stay till the works done.' It's simply not worth it to whine during a rotation.

Granted, I don't mind doing consults/admissions, helping out with random floor work (right place/right time = procedures anyways), or going to trauma calls. Besides, it looks good, which helps the rotation grade.

What do I consider a long shift? Anything around 24+ (call is about 30 hours with a decent possibility of sleep... especially if we have a night float student). Currently I'm averaging about 13 hours per shift ( ~5am to ~6pm). However I take the attitude during rotations of 'stay till the works done.' It's simply not worth it to whine during a rotation.

Granted, I don't mind doing consults/admissions, helping out with random floor work (right place/right time = procedures anyways), or going to trauma calls. Besides, it looks good, which helps the rotation grade.

I have one problem, my feet begin to hurt, after standing and walking for Lon periods of time. :(
I just love to get in there and get my hands dirty :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one problem, my feet begin to hurt, after standing and walking for Lon periods of time. :(

Rules of clerkships and residency:
1. Don't run when you can walk.
2. Don't stand when you can sit.
3. Eat when you can.
4. Sleep when you can.

Also, my attending is a vascular surgeon. We sit on the little rolling doctor stools. Just make sure you're seated comfortably when you first sit down, or else it's awkward to roll back from a surgery just to stand up and sit back down again.

Go to a New Balance store and have them fit you for a shoe. They have like 10 different types for each size (different widths, arches, etc). They look ugly as hell but my feet never hurt running around the hospital for 12 hours.

mw812wt_nb_02_i

Go to a New Balance store and have them fit you for a shoe. They have like 10 different types for each size (different widths, arches, etc). They look ugly as hell but my feet never hurt running around the hospital for 12 hours.

mw812wt_nb_02_i

New balance are the bomb. Sketchers has some good shoes too.

Medical standby at the range tomorrow for range qualifications.

Bring the guns and have fun! :beerchug:

I can't beleive I get paid for this somtimes.

3. Eat when you can.
4. Sleep when you can.

Those are generally good rules to live by in any form of acute care medicine.

He's no longer a CL? Bummer. :[ Must be too busy with medic school.

mw812wt_nb_02_i

Got a pair of Merrell's a few months ago and so far I have really enjoyed them. I never had much luck more regular tennis shoes.

3. Eat when you can.
4. Sleep when you can.

Also, my attending is a vascular surgeon. We sit on the little rolling doctor stools. Just make sure you're seated comfortably when you first sit down, or else it's awkward to roll back from a surgery just to stand up and sit back down again.

I remember my vascular surg rotation and spending hours in the OR wearing lead for peripheral bypass cases.

And open AAA repairs were one of my favorite surgeries to scrub in on, great chance to see anatomy.

Back