the 100% directionless thread

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Hanging out at the hospital, waiting for my husband to go to surgery. Not how I had planned on spending my weekend...

xray2.jpg
xray1.jpg

Been there done this. I wish him the best. Has the ortho said how it will be repaired? IM nailing or plates/screws?

patput

Forum Crew Member
Has anyone else been ridiculously busy lately? I run with a volunteer ALS service covering 500 or so square miles. General call volume is approximately 3-4 a day. We have been in the 5-10 range for the past two weeks or so. Lots of second rig calls too which can really put us in a bind, especially over night because we only have one medic on call then.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Has anyone else been ridiculously busy lately? I run with a volunteer ALS service covering 500 or so square miles. General call volume is approximately 3-4 a day. We have been in the 5-10 range for the past two weeks or so. Lots of second rig calls too which can really put us in a bind, especially over night because we only have one medic on call then.

Is it spring break up there for school kids? It always picks up during spring break.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Leg has spiral fractures, so force was applied.....

medic417

The Truth Provider

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Makes me think he made epi-do mad.

Or she was mad about the elections and he was close...

I hope the surgery and recovery goes well.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Been there done this. I wish him the best. Has the ortho said how it will be repaired? IM nailing or plates/screws?

He now has a plate and some screws in there, holding it all together.

How'd he manage that?

He took our son roller skating, and decided to join in the fun. On his first lap around the rink, he fell and couldn't get up. :p He said he felt it break. Dummy was going to drive himself to the ER. He refused to let them call an ambulance because he didn't want to "bother anyone." The skating rink employees made an attempt to splint it (props to them for at least making an effort), and then a couple friends helped him into a vehicle so they could take him to the ER.

It then took the ER over an hour to get him any pain meds. (I was not very happy!) Of course, during the course of that hour, I pointed out that had he allowed an ambulance to be called, he would have gotten something for the pain, although he would most likely be needing more at that point, and that they would have properly splinted his leg.

He doesn't know exactly what happened when he fell, but my guess is he twisted his leg and managed to hit it with the other skate at the same time.

Makes me think he made epi-do mad.

Actually, I wasn't anywhere close when it happened. I was at work. I did point out to him though that just because I hadn't been to the ER yet that shift, he didn't have to make sure it happened for me.

Or she was mad about the elections and he was close...

I hope the surgery and recovery goes well.

Surgery went well. Now for the recovery part. I am thinking this is the part that isn't going to be much fun. Thanks!

mycrofft

Rt leg...the ankle inverted (adducted at an unnatural angle) which spiraled the tibia. The 3/4 of the fib acted as a lever and caused the upper end of the fib to spiral as well. No obvious intrarticular bone damage, hope he gets better son.

Was he going to drive left-footed?:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Spending a rainy St PAt's day reading HG Wells, baking cherry and almond scones, listening to Alanis Morrisette unplugged. Life can be OK.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
What happens when 2 ambulances and 2 fire trucks, all running code, our ambulance opposing traffic, meet at a downtown intersection in rush hour traffic and hundreds of pedestrians on the sidewalk?

A total cluster, that's what! Holy crap plus add a car that fails to yield to all 4 emergency vehicles...

Nothing bad happened but it got real interesting for a second trying to decode who had the right of way seeing the turn lanes were green and all straight lanes were red and everyone of us was going straight.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Apparently there's black ice in the freeway just west of here. Something ain't right Willis.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Apparently there's black ice in the freeway just west of here. Something ain't right Willis.

1/2 of ice and slush on the freeway causing an accident possibly 10 vehicles involved. Just got declared as an MCI. All in Banning.

19 patients need to be transported so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
1/2 of ice and slush on the freeway causing an accident possibly 10 vehicles involved. Just got declared as an MCI. All in Banning.

19 patients need to be transported so far.

We had an accident like that a couple weeks back. Mix some water and snow on the freeway and add in 100 yd visibility and we get to play in it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Wow. In a matter of 4 hours my county has had a total of 4 MCIs. 1 with 6 patients (3 airships had to be called for that one). The second one with 7 patients. The third one with 7 patients. The fourth one with 19 patients.

And a new MCI just got declared. So that makes 5 within four hours. Wow, we are going to have no beds open at any hospital.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Wow. In a matter of 4 hours my county has had a total of 4 MCIs. 1 with 6 patients (3 airships had to be called for that one). The second one with 7 patients. The third one with 7 patients. The fourth one with 19 patients.

And a new MCI just got declared. So that makes 5 within four hours. Wow, we are going to have no beds open at any hospital.

Sounds like a total :censored::censored::censored::censored: show of a night to be working.

On another note it just hit me that I graduate from school in 3 months. I'm starting to get a little nervous about being the guy that everyone on scene turns to for answers when everything goes to hell.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Sounds like a total :censored::censored::censored::censored: show of a night to be working.

On another note it just hit me that I graduate from school in 3 months. I'm starting to get a little nervous about being the guy that everyone on scene turns to for answers when everything goes to hell.

Just starting to? Hell I'm only three months in and I'm already nervous about that, haha. Granted, it seems around these parts there's usually five other medics standing around on scene in the city and most suburbs here.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief