I'm feeling pancakes for dinner

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I had fruit salad and Pringles. :(

Not feeling it.

Still a decent dinner...but chocolate chip pancakes is a wee bit better ;)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Can I have the last 12 hours of my night back? Spent all day standin around getting denied observation by patients in L&D then at the last second a patient says she'll let a student deliver with supervision...sweet deal right? Wrong! A med student rained on my parade hard.

I probably should have stayed and watched but I ended up Walkin out getting my signature and leaving.

I've about had enough of clinicals, I'm tired of being treated like free labor and someone who doesn't know anything. I'm always the first to jump in and help with whatever task needs to be done and sometimes it pays off in getting me some more interesting and technical skills. Lately its been nothing but moving patients and cycling vitals and even that is rare with the automated bp on the monitors.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Can I have the last 12 hours of my night back? Spent all day standin around getting denied observation by patients in L&D then at the last second a patient says she'll let a student deliver with supervision...sweet deal right? Wrong! A med student rained on my parade hard.

I probably should have stayed and watched but I ended up Walkin out getting my signature and leaving.

I've about had enough of clinicals, I'm tired of being treated like free labor and someone who doesn't know anything. I'm always the first to jump in and help with whatever task needs to be done and sometimes it pays off in getting me some more interesting and technical skills. Lately its been nothing but moving patients and cycling vitals and even that is rare with the automated bp on the monitors.
I feel your pain.

I had a variety of L&D clinical experiences:

In the urban teaching hospital, the nurses were tolerant of having a student asking questions, and for the most part, let me observe unfettered.

In my second go-around, I interacted with a bunch of nurses... some better than others. Best was the ones that brought me in, and introduced me with them... "I'm Nurse Rachett, and this is Jon, a paramedic student who's working with me today." Only in one case did someone ask why a medic student was in the hospital, and the nurse answered for me... "because this way he gets to see it in a controlled environment, rather than having to figure it out on his own in the field" - Family was more than OK with that explanation.

Worse was when the nurse went in "to get the patients OK" and asked... "There's this paramedic student that wants to observe your delivery.... I have to ask, but it's OK to say no"... well, of course those patients said no.

Sadly, good clinicals are a product of both engaged students and preceptors that care. If you get a crappy preceptor, you're going to likely have a bad shift, no matter what you do.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Still a decent dinner...but chocolate chip pancakes is a wee bit better ;)

Screw chocolate chip pancakes. Make them with mini M&M's. It's a game-changer.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

I save the M&M's for my popcorn.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

I have none...and I don't feel like going to the store :/

On a side note, our Zoll rep. is coming by tomorrow and I get to go look at the new X-series we'll probably be getting.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Worse was when the nurse went in "to get the patients OK" and asked... "There's this paramedic student that wants to observe your delivery.... I have to ask, but it's OK to say no"... well, of course those patients said no.

If they had your back, it would be "it's ok to say no, but it's really important for him to get this experience now, as he will be solely responsible for delivering babies in the field with no backup"

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If they had your back, it would be "it's ok to say no, but it's really important for him to get this experience now, as he will be solely responsible for delivering babies in the field with no backup"

I pointed that out, politely as I could be while my head was about to pop off, to the med student who swooped my delivery, as well as the fact that she'd been there for 30 minutes an I had been there for 11 hours... She didn't like that much and told me I could have the next one. Too bad it's real easy for med students to get consent and really difficult for medic students to get consent. Also there was no one in the unit that was going to deliver anytime soon an I was done wasting my time.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I pointed that out, politely as I could be while my head was about to pop off, to the med student who swooped my delivery, as well as the fact that she'd been there for 30 minutes an I had been there for 11 hours... She didn't like that much and told me I could have the next one. Too bad it's real easy for med students to get consent and really difficult for medic students to get consent. Also there was no one in the unit that was going to deliver anytime soon an I was done wasting my time.

Thats where I hope being female can help a little.

If I was preggo I would be more inclined to let a female come watch.

But if I knew there was a medic student there, I would give him the ok over a med student.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hello ridiculously big pay check. I can't wait to spend you.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Ouch.

ad6cd97e-2e64-4d40.jpg

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

I am always having bruises of one sort or another all over me. I went to a hematologist this week who took a look and said that she doesn't see bruises like that on anybody but toddlers unless there's a clotting disorder.

I guess that makes me as graceful as a 2 year old.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Haha nice. This is actuly my first bruise like that.

But thats because my body hates me right now, for having 8 iv starts on tuesday lol. I look like a junkie

Sasha

Forum Chief
Goodbye ridiculously big paycheck. I hardly knew you :(

Anjel

Forum Angel

Sasha

Forum Chief
That didnt last long lol

Nope but my vacation is now fully paid for and all my bills are paid and I still have a good amount left. It's just over half gone.