Fellowhuman

Forum Ride Along
Hi folks -

I'll keep it short & sweet.

I'm really passionate about working as an EMT. Problem is, I don't want anything to do with driving an ambulance.

I don't trust my sense of direction while under stress in an area I might be unfamiliar with especially when someone's life could be on the line. My driving record is flawless 14 years and running, there aren't ulterior reasons in play here.

I've read that EMTs can work in many areas, from hospitals, theme parks, nursing homes, etc.

My question: Is it possible to achieve full-time employment without experience in an ambulance? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Jdog

Forum Crew Member
Is it possible? Yes... if you have connections at a hospital who can hook you up with an ER tech position. The problem is obtaining a position as an ER tech is very, very competitive and you'll be up against people with years of experience over you.

I've never heard of EMTs working at nursing homes. I'm not sure what an EMT's function at a SNF would be, other than assuming the role of a CNA.

It is possible to work special events or at theme parks. Not sure if there are full-time positions doing that though. You wouldn't really be functioning as an EMT, but more of a first-aid giver.

Hope this helps.

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
Most ER tech jobs require experience (on an ambulance usually), and the event companies mainly offer part-time employment. I looked into the theme park gig when I first started in EMS and a lot of those places also want experience.

Is the hang up simply the driving? Unfortunately that is a part of this career- yes there are other ways to use the cert, but many of those options come after gaining experience. I admit, driving is one of my least favorite parts of the job, but it's necessary in order to get experience. If you're worried about it, pick up a map book (they still make Thomas Brothers) and start to learn the area you want to work in- map out major routes and learn the best way to get to each hospital. I've worked in places that my first time driving in an area was driving code-3 to a call- it's scary, but you make it work.

nater

Forum Crew Member
You could look in to industrial EMS / safety. You might need to learn more about OSHA regulations, but large factories employ personel to oversee fire, EMS, safety and security.

Theme parks do employ EMTs and Paramedics, but most would be seasonal unless you are in the South.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Find a place that does dual EMT BLS rigs, preferably one that doesn't do drivers training for new hires until after a few months on the job as an Attendant Only, and just stay an A/O. (Your partner will absolutely love you </not>). Or offer to drive TO the call with your partner mapping you and giving you directions and then switch so you attend in the back. Or just use a GPS (most urban/suburban areas are fairly reliable nowadays, while I keep my mapbook handy and open to the page we're in, I usually just use Google Maps on my phone, compare the cross streets to the page, then manually guide my partner in w/out using the sometimes finicky turn by turn guidance).

Or apply at a non-emergent Inter-Facility Transport company. BLS transfers there will almost never be code 3, you'll get plenty of experience going to and from all the different little Healthcare facilities and learn where the hospitals are (and importantly, where the ambulance parking is) without all the pressures of an emergent ALS/CCT run.

It seems intimidating at first, but it just takes a little practice to find your way to the hospitals. Just remember you only have so many hospitals and so many main roads to get there. All you need to know really is the nearest main road, really just like how you drive anywhere else you know regularly.