New NBC series "Trauma" this fall

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Tha Game

A couple of comments from the petition to bring back trauma...

You rage, you lose.

Keep the show.This is an amazing show.I always had an interest in the medical field and this shows those of us not in the field what it may be like.Im looking forward to watching this show in the future

Keep this show.I am an EMT and this show is alot like real life and what we go through day by day. My family and I enjoy watching it and hope it wont be cancelled.

I find Trauma to be exhilerating and very captivating. I take time out of my schedule to watch every episode from the very beginning.

Trauma is a program that doesn't seem to be a cookie cutter. I find myself emotionally involved in the storyline and feeling the characters are a part of the family.

Wow. I am surprised that Trauma has bad ratings. Maybe its the time slot. I don't know. This show reminds me so much of E.R. I can't possibly imagine how this show hasn't picked up that demographic.

It's smart, and fast-paced. The cast is great. Seems more authentic than ER; that turned into a soap opera and lost me as part of their viewing audience

Love the show! Love Rabbit!!

This is a great show. Very inspiring to someone who is thinking of being in the Medical field.

PLEASE keep "TRAUMA" on the air. it is one of the best medical shows NBC has had since you cancelled "St. Elsewhere." ....

...."Trauma" is the closest to the real thing without throwing too much sexual innuendo into the script like the other shows do.

It is thought-provoking and edgy

People are idiots.

Achromatic

Forum Lieutenant
For now, I'm being optimistic and saying it's just because they're new, and total white clouds. Hard to fault them when they've barely gotten calls, and all that.

But... I have my suspicions. :ph34r:

Hey now! I'm a student, and I've been caught several times swearing, rolling eyes, threatening to throw things at the TV because of this show (I admit I've seen all the episodes, because it's like a trainwreck, so horrific).

Anyone in EMS who thinks that show has any redeeming qualities with reference to opinions or perceptions of emergency medicine should be, I humbly submit, shot.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Hey now! I'm a student, and I've been caught several times swearing, rolling eyes, threatening to throw things at the TV because of this show (I admit I've seen all the episodes, because it's like a trainwreck, so horrific).

Anyone in EMS who thinks that show has any redeeming qualities with reference to opinions or perceptions of emergency medicine should be, I humbly submit, shot.

That's my general opinion. But life is so much easier when you can blissfully pretend your coworkers aren't morons.

I see bits and pieces, and keep refusing to watch more with them. Just don't think I could take it.

Cory

Forum Captain
Actually it's not a rumor and I didn't make it up kthnx.

Its a little difficult to put a link to page from a magazine that I don't want to go track down right now, but it is being cancelled due to low viewing rates. Mercy is just barely surviving as well. Jay LEno is really doing a number on the whole network by holding the most prime spot on NBC, even though his ratings are awful.

From what I understand, it might even be gone next Monday...I don't think they have decided if the season will finish airing or not, personally I hope it does. I know some of you like to sit at home screaming whacker, but I can actually appreciate a well made drama, even if it is totaly inaccurate. It's not a documentary...and this is as good as we're gonna get for a while, I think it would be great if it stayed, but it won't.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I did notice, while watching HawthoRNe, that everyone seems to be using a sprague steth. For some reason, that stood out for me, since I don't think I've ever seen one on a doctor or nurse. Loved how she shoved the Doc out of the way to take over a code after the patient had been pronounced, too...

Alot of medical shows use these scopes and it probably because that is what is in the prop department.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Doesn't this mean that they were operating under the phsycians license? :/

Not a procedure they were formally trained for, and certainly out of scope. Just like half the things they do on the show.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Actually it's not a rumor and I didn't make it up kthnx.

Its a little difficult to put a link to page from a magazine that I don't want to go track down right now, but it is being cancelled due to low viewing rates. Mercy is just barely surviving as well. Jay LEno is really doing a number on the whole network by holding the most prime spot on NBC, even though his ratings are awful.

From what I understand, it might even be gone next Monday...I don't think they have decided if the season will finish airing or not, personally I hope it does. I know some of you like to sit at home screaming whacker, but I can actually appreciate a well made drama, even if it is totaly inaccurate. It's not a documentary...and this is as good as we're gonna get for a while, I think it would be great if it stayed, but it won't.

It is not so much I care about the drama of the show. It is the fact people will look upon this as truth and will wonder what we are doing. I always watched the nursing shows..and it is a joke. We live enough and work enough in plenty of drama and action from day to day. It does not need to be made into hollywood version of real.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Not a procedure they were formally trained for, and certainly out of scope. Just like half the things they do on the show.

I am familiar with the case. I don't think they lost their NR cards or NYS cards. I believe they had their NY cards.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
It is not so much I care about the drama of the show. It is the fact people will look upon this as truth and will wonder what we are doing. I always watched the nursing shows..and it is a joke. We live enough and work enough in plenty of drama and action from day to day. It does not need to be made into hollywood version of real.

I beg to differ. If you make a documentary solely about EMS, it won't hold interest anywhere near as much as an episode of COPS or First IN. If you were to take away all of the fire material from First In and make an episode of only the EMS runs, it would appear quite boring to the public.

Just think what the public would think of us if they heard even a small portion of our commentary and Gallows humor. Most wouldn't understand much of the medical procedures that we do, and if you're not following, you'll eventually become alienated and lose interest. And, in the interest of accuracy, the public would be viewing our sick calls, minor injuries, wellness checks, lift jobs, etc. Important work in general, but certainly not sexy in the least.

Regarding our personal lives, most of us have quite mundane lives compared to the TV characters. Who wants to follow the story of the EMT who works three jobs, sleeps, does it again, etc. etc. Or the medic who works, goes to school, works, goes to school, etc. Or the employee who works, goes home, spends an hour or two with the kids and goes to bed. It might get some kind of audience with the Lifetime channel or Hallmark maybe, but certainly not primetime network TV. Today's society has been desensitized to the point where a show is "boring" without a large amount of gratuitous sex, violence and profanity. If you don't provide that, no one will watch.

The general public seems to have a misconception that since we work a job that focuses on caring for people, that we're supposed to carry that mentality at all times when off duty to all other areas of our life. When I worked as a boncer, and also did shootfights, people would say "But you're an EMT. You're supposed to help people. How could you fight and possibly injure someone? Doesn't that conflict with your job?" That's the key word, "job". We're not a bunch of Mother Theresa's, we're paid to do a job, and then we go home to our personal lives, whatever that may be.

The job just isn't as sexy as others that are portrayed on TV, at least in the documentary genre.

Last edited by a moderator:

SEBeast

Forum Crew Member
Trauma

I love this show. I've been in ems for seven years four as a medic. It's very entertaining and it's a nice break from the reality of our job. I hope it stays on the air a while.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I beg to differ. If you make a documentary solely about EMS, it won't hold interest anywhere near as much as an episode of COPS or First IN. If you were to take away all of the fire material from First In and make an episode of only the EMS runs, it would appear quite boring to the public.

Just think what the public would think of us if they heard even a small portion of our commentary and Gallows humor. Most wouldn't understand much of the medical procedures that we do, and if you're not following, you'll eventually become alienated and lose interest. And, in the interest of accuracy, the public would be viewing our sick calls, minor injuries, wellness checks, lift jobs, etc. Important work in general, but certainly not sexy in the least.

Regarding our personal lives, most of us have quite mundane lives compared to the TV characters. Who wants to follow the story of the EMT who works three jobs, sleeps, does it again, etc. etc. Or the medic who works, goes to school, works, goes to school, etc. Or the employee who works, goes home, spends an hour or two with the kids and goes to bed. It might get some kind of audience with the Lifetime channel or Hallmark maybe, but certainly not primetime network TV. Today's society has been desensitized to the point where a show is "boring" without a large amount of gratuitous sex, violence and profanity. If you don't provide that, no one will watch.

The general public seems to have a misconception that since we work a job that focuses on caring for people, that we're supposed to carry that mentality at all times when off duty to all other areas of our life. When I worked as a boncer, and also did shootfights, people would say "But you're an EMT. You're supposed to help people. How could you fight and possibly injure someone? Doesn't that conflict with your job?" That's the key word, "job". We're not a bunch of Mother Theresa's, we're paid to do a job, and then we go home to our personal lives, whatever that may be.

The job just isn't as sexy as others that are portrayed on TV, at least in the documentary genre.

I don't know about that. We have a prime-time documentary show here called "medical emergency", which follows cases from the ambulance call out to the ED (and then a quick follow up at the end of each episode). It usually has an air ambulance case (usually road trauma), a puff piece (little girl with grazed knee + a good PR shot of a uniformed paramedic handing her an Ambulance Victoria teddy bear), and a nanna down/arrythmia or too. Its polished; nobody swears, makes fun of pts, says anything inappropriate and they never show cases where pts die. But others than that, its almost identical in format to cops, with the exception of the occasional commentary offering a simplified break down of whats going on, "Paramedic John must use an electric shock to get Matt's heart beating in time.... or he'll die". Despite that, I find it to have an acceptable level of accuracy given that it has to communicate complex management to the public in an entertaining and suscint fashion. There was a RSI of a head injured pt complicated by hypothermia last week, which was pretty cool, and I always see medics I know from uni on it, which is good for a laugh.

Its in its....6th season I believe, and rates very highly.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Melcin, have you been able to find any episodes on the interwebz?

Talking about trauma or medical emergency? Trauma; yes, I watch it every week and LOL heartily. Medical Emergency? No, and I've looked high and low because I wanted one of the episodes where one of my lecturers was on it as a pt. The network that its broadcast on is the only network to not provide comprehensive internet streaming for its shows.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
great.... bringing up the homosexual group now. I'm sure that'll go over well. both by EMS and the gay community;)

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
great.... bringing up the homosexual group now. I'm sure that'll go over well. both by EMS and the gay community;)

They handled it well. Brings some realism to the show....

Gay paramedics!!?? Quick, lets take away their right to get paramedic licenses!

JPINFV

Gadfly
They handled it well. Brings some realism to the show....

Gay paramedics!!?? Quick, lets take away their right to get paramedic licenses!

Prop 8 for paramedics?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
no, its just similar to the mentality of the paramedics having sex in the back of the ambulance in the first episode. I think that they should have waited until the second season before they brought that kinda idea up.

... I think them illustrating it wasn't a bad thing, but its just the fact that they decided to spring it up only a few episodes in. I personally have nothing agaisnt the gay community, but myself personally, I'm not for it. And to try to bring up an iffy subject that is still not "worldly" accepted... in a show that lacks plot, character development, and realism. I just think that this show is trying WAY TO HARD to stay afloat. despite their efforts tonight, I think its only going to lower the shows ratings.

So, yeah. Not trying to offend anyone, but I just felt that this episode's "agenda" only turned more viewers away (including myself and my wife). :/

reaper

Working Bum
no, its just similar to the mentality of the paramedics having sex in the back of the ambulance in the first episode. I think that they should have waited until the second season before they brought that kinda idea up.

... I think them illustrating it wasn't a bad thing, but its just the fact that they decided to spring it up only a few episodes in. I personally have nothing agaisnt the gay community, but myself personally, I'm not for it. And to try to bring up an iffy subject that is still not "worldly" accepted... in a show that lacks plot, character development, and realism. I just think that this show is trying WAY TO HARD to stay afloat. despite their efforts tonight, I think its only going to lower the shows ratings.

So, yeah. Not trying to offend anyone, but I just felt that this episode's "agenda" only turned more viewers away (including myself and my wife). :/

I think that this was one of the better episodes yet. I thought they did a good job of bringing the gay team member into it. While you or some may not agree with the life style, there are a lot of gay members in EMS and they are a vital part of the community.

I think this episode did more to show the public what we are really like. Less trauma and more daily life.;)