New NBC series "Trauma" this fall

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
They did have the obligatory MCI, though. Seems like they've got a formula going.

Rabbit is right about ALS meaning "ain't liftin s****", though. :)

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
hey, there are those of us, in ems, who are gay... and i should damn well know, falling into that catagory myself

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Gay paramedics!!?? Quick, lets take away their right to get paramedic licenses!

I know right! First it's our art teachers and hairdressers, now its our paramedics. Whats next? Fashion designers and sailors? A world gone mad. Now, you'll have to excuse me, there's an O'Reilly factor marathon on and that bust of Jerry Falwell isn't going to polish itself.

Trailpatrol

Forum Crew Member
I didn't care for the pilot episode, but I thought the idea had potential. As the weeks have gone by, the show has improved. The story lines are interesting and some of them are even believable. Unfortunately, the show is losing in the ratings war because of the poor showing in the first two episodes, and the fact that Leno is bombing afterwords, and NBC can't get out of their deal with him.

I've known medics like Rabbit. (Heck, I think I may have even been one, once-upon-a-time.) It's really not a bad show, and it has gotten better. I can remember when "Emergency" first came on (NBC, the same network, BTW) the story lines were a bit rough, too. I was a new EMT then, and EMS was a new thing. Nobody did anything in the field like John and Roy did back then. (Okay, maybe a half-dozen cities in the US) It took a couple years to develop.

Special FX have come a long way since "Emergency" was on the air. Trauma makes real good use of SFX, like Rabbit's chopper crash and the preview for Nancy and Glen's ambulance crash next week. Now that I am just starting to like the characters, (particularly Marissa and Rabbit) it will probably get canned.

"Someday I'm gonna write a book." Chief Patrick Meacham (John Mahoney) in H.E.L.P. (Another EMS series nobody remembers.)

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
They did have the obligatory MCI, though. Seems like they've got a formula going.

i know right? i mean, it wouldn't be a day-in-the-life if they didn't have a crazy mci everyday :rolleyes:

on a sidenote, was the helicopter pilot chick starting iv's?

Trailpatrol

Forum Crew Member
was the helicopter pilot chick starting iv's?

I think she said a couple weeks ago that she's an EMT-I. It's been a bone of contention between her and Rabbit that she's supposed to be an EMT and doesn't do anything but fly the chopper, so a couple weeks ago he sat her down at the episode's end and started reviewing her medical skills.

It surprised me that Aimee Garcia (Marisa the pilot) is actually a few weeks shy of 31 years old...she looks like such a kid. (And Pauley Perrette, who plays Abby on NCIS, is over 40!)

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
About the only thing I like on this show now is the dynamics between the partners, it's about the only thing that's even a little bit realistic. But, a big WTF to the EMT nasally intubating!?

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
relax, the rest of the season will still air

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Alrighty!!!!! get that inaccurate depiction off the air! :p

Trailpatrol

Forum Crew Member
About the only thing I like on this show now is the dynamics between the partners, it's about the only thing that's even a little bit realistic. But, a big WTF to the EMT nasally intubating!?

Just looked at the San Francisco (City/County) EMS Agency (http://www.sanfranciscoems.org/) protocols: They allow BLS to assist with set-up if trained, but dropping the tube is still an ALS skill. It doesn't deliniate where an EMT-I would be in that situation.

JPINFV

Gadfly
...that's because SanFrancisco doesn't use EMT-Intermediates.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sure, assuming that all of the states adopt the new standard without anyone putting their own spin on it. Consider, for example, that 2 states still use "EMT-I [one], EMT-II, EMT-III (well, one of the two), and EMT-P instead of "EMT-B, EMT-I, EMT-P."

SEBeast

Forum Crew Member
Relax

This show is purely for entertainment. I for one love it. It's television, not real life. Relax!

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
This show is purely for entertainment. I for one love it. It's television, not real life. Relax!

Yes, it is true..the sad part is some PTs or people wont think of it like that. I am glad the show is gone and hope they think twice before puting this kinda crap on tv.

SEBeast

Forum Crew Member
People

Yes, it is true..the sad part is some PTs or people wont think of it like that. I am glad the show is gone and hope they think twice before puting this kinda crap on tv.

What people think of us depends on the impression YOU make on them.