New Ferno IN/X Cot

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This is a game changer when transporting patients down a couple of stairs or loading the ambulance. I look forward to seeing how they perform.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I wonder how they hold up in the snow/slush/winter crap.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Didn't Stryker already do this x2 with their powered cots and their power load system. Ferno seems a bit behind the curve on this one.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I don't think Stryker has independent legs like the Ferno. I think Stryker power cots are all Xframes.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
This doesn't look useful at all. It looks bulky, heavy, and like a pain to use. Now you will have to wait and hold up for two legs to come down when loading and unloading. Same thing going down a few steps of stairs. We cont have problems with 2 or 3 stairs. It's the big stairs we do.

I do like the idea of lights on it though, extra visibility is always good.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If it was a hoverboard, I'd be stoked. Now, just looks heavy. And a pain when the battery dies.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Even though it does have independent legs, why is it preferable over the x-frame design? They both appear to do the same thing, except for two independent systems having a greater chance of breaking versus one. Also, the argument about going down a few stairs to save your back is invalid, because if you were so worried about saving your back, then you would go ahead and grab the stair chair anyways.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Even though it does have independent legs, why is it preferable over the x-frame design? They both appear to do the same thing, except for two independent systems having a greater chance of breaking versus one. Also, the argument about going down a few stairs to save your back is invalid, because if you were so worried about saving your back, then you would go ahead and grab the stair chair anyways.
The independent legs appear to hold the entire weight of the cot/patient when loading and unloading the patient to and from the ambulance.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I think this is going to be a huge game changer. I doubt it's much heavier than the power gurneys. With that said you shouldn't be carrying your gurney up stairs anyways and you don't have to carry this one it lifts itself up stairs and into the unit without having to install the power load system.

I heard a number around 20k per unit...saving money on back injuries would offset that though. I've heard people saying that it'll never work because of cost...how much does it cost to buy a PowerPro and a PowerLoad together? Gurney is 6-8k if I remember correctly and the load system is probably near there if not more.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Which is exactly why in my first comment, I said that this is Ferno's somewhat belated response to Stryker's power-whatever monopoly. This equals the Stryker power cot plus power load. Why this is so revolutionary versus the Stryker's product, I really still don't get that part. Maybe EMTlifers are just Ferno lovers.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We've ordered one. 10 grand less than a powerpro with the powerload system. It's self loading too, I saw a video of a child loading a rather large male with it unassisted.

Looks awesome to me. Automatically charges while in its mount, which meets European crash test ratings which are far stricter than current standards.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I heard a number around 20k per unit...saving money on back injuries would offset that though. I've heard people saying that it'll never work because of cost...how much does it cost to buy a PowerPro and a PowerLoad together? Gurney is 6-8k if I remember correctly and the load system is probably near there if not more.

The Stryker cots go for near $14k. It's another $20k for the power load. Maybe less if you're buying in bulk?

Though we've gotten away from the power stretchers in my service because people don't like the weight (and the cost is prohibitive for us). The unpowered Mx-Pros seem to be well liked.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've never worked with a manual gurney except for our bariatric gurney and in school. The PowerPros really are not that heavy. I'm only 5'8" and 140#...

Rin

Forum Captain
Also, the argument about going down a few stairs to save your back is invalid, because if you were so worried about saving your back, then you would go ahead and grab the stair chair anyways.

A large number of our patients are unable to sit 90° for a stair chair due to back problems or are unable to fit in the stair chair due to pure width. :/

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
A large number of our patients are unable to sit 90° for a stair chair due to back problems or are unable to fit in the stair chair due to pure width. :/

So how exactly do you guys get patients down from THAT 3rd floor apartment without elevators and crooked stairs?

Kevinf

Forum Captain
It would become an extrication and FD would be called. I just had a discharge from an ECF to residence where the patient was bed confined and morbidly obese. The hallway to the bedroom was a tight Z shape. Stretcher wouldn't fit fully compacted, pt too big for stair chair (wheelchair also did not fit through hallway) or other two man non-stretcher methods. So we called FD for an intrication assist. We dropped the stretcher and used 3 layers of blankets for a 6 man lift and carry. Still struggled to get around that zig-zag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dylfrick

Forum Ride Along
Doing mostly transport side of the industry I could see how this would be pretty useful. Yes taking a stretcher up a few steps isn't a huge problem most of the day, but by the fifth or sixth 225 plus person up 3 steps, that stretcher could come in handy. As for a 911 situation I don't see why what is out there isn't already good enough.

Also don't like how I didn't see side rails throughout the video...maybe I just missed them.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

DerekC

Forum Crew Member
In the 911 setting, you still have to pick up the cot to load it in the truck, even if it is a power cot (we don't have power load), you still have to go up and down stairs (yes this is only good for 2-3 stairs), and you have to do it faster (sometimes, if actually a critical PT). Coming from someone who uses a power Stryker everyday, this looks amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.