New Ferno IN/X Cot

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
Strkyer cots

Where I was assigned to my ride alongs, they just started to use the STRYKER cots with the buttons on the head end to raise all four legs on the cot and POC and Trendelenburg positions too. I like them. Actually the ambulance agency got the Strykers from, is HCMC in the Twin Cities. They were donated to them and I think HCMC swapped them out for new cots. I don't know off hand if HCMC switched to Ferno or back to STRYKER. I asked the paramedic and EMT-B on duty while on ride alongs if I can try it out and learn how to place the cot in the rig. However, in my classroom training we did not have a ambulance or a mock ambulance to learn how to move cots in and out of a rig. However, the STRYKER was user friendly and it saves on the back and less stress on the patient. The cot just slips into the locking mechanism without any problems. Nice equipment. "expensive!" Yes indeed, "but well worth it!":D

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The one we demoed had both rails and a manual operation mode...

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We operated it manually with the a patient...

And if you're people are struggling to push the lit up green button I don't know what to say.

You're experienced in no way mirror mine and seem rather dramatic. And this is coming from a Stryker liker so to speak.

Jake Jones

Forum Ride Along
You cannot operate it manually with a patient - you have to take the patient off. Then you have to lift all 190 lbs. from the ground up! It's also crazy hard to operate. I run with a volunteer department and I doubt half the people could figure it out. The Stryker is easier to use and more "firefighter proof". It has no bariatric option also. You can't get it wet either. The ferno rep ran it up in the air and jumped on it. We never transport that high so thats a null point. It is really unstable while loading and the rep would barely let us use it. If my department purchases one of these I will flip out!

This is incorrect on so many levels it's hard to believe. either your blindfully following stryker or work for them...

1 - you can operate it in manual mode with a patient on it, we did it at our agency
2 - you do not have to lift any weight from the inx at all throughout the entire process ... seriously, i've seen videos of kids loading it from ferno's page
3 - there are two buttons to operate...a + and a - ... if you've ever used a powered stretcher or can remember two buttons you can use it..again ive seen kids load it on first try
4 - you can wash it with a hose...how can you not get it wet? dumb
5 - our rep did the same deal with putting it as high as he could..it was meant to show stability even at it's most vulnerable point
6 - everyone in our station got to load it...no idea what your talking about for unstable

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Anyone see that little jog in the beginning? Just a little marker of how disconnected from EMS that ad is.
This has the true hallmark of modern Ferno designs: failure-prone features no one asked for. "Hey, I've never heard of a flashlight. What if we put lights on our stretcher and ran them off the battery we need to lift this 78 kg monstrosity?" "Brilliant! Here's my prototype of an IV pole; it can fall right off, and not only that, but other crews can steal it without tools!" (in unison) "WHEEL LOCKS!"
It also looks pretty high when loaded: not a problem in a Sprinter, but I've had clearance issues loading higher stretchers with upright patients into Type IIs and some box builds.
The manual release looks awful, both based on location and because I can't figure out how it even works by looking at it and they haven't posted the manual. Oh, and did I mention it's over twice the weight of a 35-A? Have fun holding that up while your partner figures out which way the legs fold.

So we called FD for an intrication assist.
Stealing that.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It doesn't need to be that high to load. Just high enough to hook it like any other cot. To load it in our Type Is it has to be at a maximum height.
I was skeptical at first but I really do see it as an improvement.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
This doesn't look useful at all. It looks bulky, heavy, and like a pain to use. Now you will have to wait and hold up for two legs to come down when loading and unloading. Same thing going down a few steps of stairs. We cont have problems with 2 or 3 stairs. It's the big stairs we do.

I do like the idea of lights on it though, extra visibility is always good.

We ordered on last summer and delivery is after the first of the year. we are happy for this power cot. and as for "wait and hold up for two legs to come down", no issue. as you will not be holding any weight while the legs go up and down. We had a demo and super easy. we had the smallest EMT load the biggest guy 275# and it was a one handed job for her.

Jake Jones

Forum Ride Along
We ordered on last summer and delivery is after the first of the year. we are happy for this power cot. and as for "wait and hold up for two legs to come down", no issue. as you will not be holding any weight while the legs go up and down. We had a demo and super easy. we had the smallest EMT load the biggest guy 275# and it was a one handed job for her.

we had the same thing...smallest female in our agency loaded 325 pound medic. never held the weight at all and could do it with one hand if needed to...

Status
Not open for further replies.