New Ferno IN/X Cot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
In the 911 setting, you still have to pick up the cot to load it in the truck, even if it is a power cot (we don't have power load), you still have to go up and down stairs (yes this is only good for 2-3 stairs), and you have to do it faster (sometimes, if actually a critical PT). Coming from someone who uses a power Stryker everyday, this looks amazing.

I can count on one hand things where seconds truly matter and that's is getting there not getting out.

I'd love to play with one of these things. Ok maybe it's overly complicated from the lifting standpoint but the lighting system is definitely nice.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
... But it has LEDs!!

Looks interesting, and anything to limit stress and strain on medics/emergency responders should be given a look-over.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
But the LEDs seemed to illuminate a full 2 feet in front of the stretcher. Seemed to illuminate the pt. more than the road. Now if this stretcher had a couple of these, now we'd be talking.

My%20EYES!!!-thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
We have both the stryker and ferno power cots. The strykers are miles better, lighter easier to move over surfaces and less top heavy. This looks twice as bad.

I also dont see how you dont have to support one end when you go down stairs with this thing. If you watch the video the back wheels are in the air and only the front are on the ground, so you still have to support it.

Once again, Ferno is late to the game with a heavier piece of equipment.

A shame, considering the 35-A is a classic EMS cot and i love ours

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
I love the nice LEDs on the side of the cot for night time calls. Very ergonomic! I have seen the Stryker's, they have kind of the same features. But the Ferno is a nice cot!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We have both the stryker and ferno power cots. The strykers are miles better, lighter easier to move over surfaces and less top heavy. This looks twice as bad.

I also dont see how you dont have to support one end when you go down stairs with this thing. If you watch the video the back wheels are in the air and only the front are on the ground, so you still have to support it.

I think you have to support it coming downstairs, but it loads itself into the ambulance for 10k less...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

I don't see why you couldn't pull up to the stairs if they're not super long and lower the catch wheels onto the ground like the back of the rig then let it lift itself.

I've never used a Ferno cot, hell I've never used Ferno anything.

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
I don't see why you couldn't pull up to the stairs if they're not super long and lower the catch wheels onto the ground like the back of the rig then let it lift itself.

"You can never get carried away with SAFETY:cool:!"

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

That is what we do, works like a charm. Also effective off the side of a porch if there is no railing.

Zmedic107

Forum Ride Along
This ferno weighs 170 lb?! you must be kidding me...IMO: i would think an X frame would handle the weight better than this h frame. Also, what if the battery dies? no siderails anymore? what about an MCI and you need to load this into another rig, but doesn't have their ferno track? it looks like the pram needs to go extremely high to load a patient (top heavy!).

Stryker has been the proven technology time and time again...ferno, not so much. i'll stick with what has saved my career Power-PRO & Power-LOAD.

KELRAG

Forum Probie
I didn't personally see it in use but our department got a demo with what I think this video is showing and my coworkers were really impressed. Apparently the ferno rep did dips with the stretcher fully extended out the back and it was solid. From what I heard this product has been in the works for years but kept getting pushed back for design issues. I am very skeptical of anything this company develops. We have both ferno manual and stryker manual stretchers. The strykers are firefighter proof, the ferno stretchers have to be the most dangerous stretchers known to man.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I didn't personally see it in use but our department got a demo with what I think this video is showing and my coworkers were really impressed. Apparently the ferno rep did dips with the stretcher fully extended out the back and it was solid. From what I heard this product has been in the works for years but kept getting pushed back for design issues. I am very skeptical of anything this company develops. We have both ferno manual and stryker manual stretchers. The strykers are firefighter proof, the ferno stretchers have to be the most dangerous stretchers known to man.

How so? Also what model?

KELRAG

Forum Probie
How so? Also what model?

I dont know what model but it is their newest self-loading power stretcher.

The design issues I am talking about are with their older, manual stretchers. When lifting the stretcher from ground level, both people pull to chest height and the wheel base is supposed to drop and lock. This rarely happens. The person at the foot can adjust their handle lower to help with ergonomics but the person at the head has to lift a considerable distance. Usually, the bottom does not fall into position and the person at the head will push the bottom with their foot. While we were harshly lectured by the Ferno rep for doing this, it is almost always necessary. Pushing the base with your foot can push the base out the other side, into the person who is positioned at the foot's knee. This also drops the patient. Further, to get the patient in load postion is a challenge for all other than crossfit junkies. The rep came out and showed us the "proper" medthod for these processes and explained how easy it actualy is. My buddy actually asked the rep if we were in trouble by the way he was talking to us ( I realize this isnt directly a problem with the stretcher design but I think this guy is tired of hearing how bad these stretchers are). It would be as is a gunmaker produced a pistol that had to be fired with perfect hand placement or it would shoot the owner.

My biggest problem with this stretcher is that it requires a specific techinique to operate and ANY deviation can have serious consequences including injury to providers and patients. We have dropped several patients and had many near misses. The Strykers are almost firefighter proof. We can try to operate them in anyway possible and they do not pose a risk to the patient of provider.

I am open to seeing what their power stretcher/load system is but I will be forever cautious of a company that produces such an irresponsible product.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Our company got a demo of it as well, sadly I was not working that day. From what I hear the crews that got to play with it were very impressed. The price tag seems astronomical however, I'm hearing $30,000 to $40,000 for a stretcher. It's in pre-production and if we were to order it in June we wouldn't have it until August.

The crew that demo'd it put three people on top and loaded it without effort.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I dont know what model but it is their newest self-loading power stretcher.

The design issues I am talking about are with their older, manual stretchers. When lifting the stretcher from ground level, both people pull to chest height and the wheel base is supposed to drop and lock. This rarely happens. The person at the foot can adjust their handle lower to help with ergonomics but the person at the head has to lift a considerable distance. Usually, the bottom does not fall into position and the person at the head will push the bottom with their foot. While we were harshly lectured by the Ferno rep for doing this, it is almost always necessary. Pushing the base with your foot can push the base out the other side, into the person who is positioned at the foot's knee. This also drops the patient. Further, to get the patient in load postion is a challenge for all other than crossfit junkies. The rep came out and showed us the "proper" medthod for these processes and explained how easy it actualy is. My buddy actually asked the rep if we were in trouble by the way he was talking to us ( I realize this isnt directly a problem with the stretcher design but I think this guy is tired of hearing how bad these stretchers are). It would be as is a gunmaker produced a pistol that had to be fired with perfect hand placement or it would shoot the owner.

My biggest problem with this stretcher is that it requires a specific techinique to operate and ANY deviation can have serious consequences including injury to providers and patients. We have dropped several patients and had many near misses. The Strykers are almost firefighter proof. We can try to operate them in anyway possible and they do not pose a risk to the patient of provider.

I am open to seeing what their power stretcher/load system is but I will be forever cautious of a company that produces such an irresponsible product.

The problems you note are present on Stryker H frames as well. It's an inherent flaw to the H frame design.

KELRAG

Forum Probie
The problems you note are present on Stryker H frames as well. It's an inherent flaw to the H frame design.

We must have a newer stryker model because these problems arent on ours. Your comment does make me dislike ferno a little less. MOre than anything I have a problem with either of the companies selling a product that is this dangerous.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The stryker power pro is obnoxiously simple to use. I'ver never used ferno gurneys but don't they make an X frame too or only the H frame? It seems like an X frame gurney wouldn't be difficult to design for safe operation but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't really see this new stretcher having those problems since it is a power stretcher but who knows.

They're not 30-40 I thought it wads closer to 20 which is cheaper or around the same as the stryker powerpro and powerload combo. Your ambulance bill being expensive has more to do with those who don't pay for services rendered than cost of the equipment but it does have some weight in it.

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
That is quite understandable Robb! We get the long end of the deal when other people don't pay for services or when some call 911 for little things like a toothache and other illnesses that are not necessary for EMS to get dispatched to.:rofl: its just ludacrist!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The stryker power pro is obnoxiously simple to use. I'ver never used ferno gurneys but don't they make an X frame too or only the H frame? It seems like an X frame gurney wouldn't be difficult to design for safe operation but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't really see this new stretcher having those problems since it is a power stretcher but who knows.

They're not 30-40 I thought it wads closer to 20 which is cheaper or around the same as the stryker powerpro and powerload combo. Your ambulance bill being expensive has more to do with those who don't pay for services rendered than cost of the equipment but it does have some weight in it.

My old place had brand new Ferno X frame manual cots, worked just as well as manual strykers I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.