Medlife Ambulance is a great company to work for!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It correlates to the topic though. Personally, if they're asking me to fabricate a medical need for ambulance transport when it's not there then it's not a great company to work for.

Add them getting their license popped and it seals the deal.

Apparently yesterday's LA County EMS licensure hearing didn't include Medlife. This company gets to live another day.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I saw a Medlife rig on the 10 earlier today and all I could think was whether or not today was their last day, guess not just yet

I still don't understand why people are staying on that sinking ship....maybe the possibility of unemployment?

Woodtownemt

Forum Lieutenant
I think the crews there now figure they make more than unemployment will pay. As long as the checks don't bounce. Pretty sure by now everyone will be keeping an out for openings.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
I still don't understand why people are staying on that sinking ship....maybe the possibility of unemployment?

What makes you think they are sinking? I haven't seen them formally be denied by appeal officer, have you? It's possible that the appeal officer will just grand appeal like they did to elite ambulance and that will be the end. We will probably find out in the next few month.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I saw them picking up out of the ER at Whittier Presbeteryian friday. Thought they couldn't do that?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
PIH? Well you have to go through the ER to get to the floor for IFTs for one. I'm not aware of any restrictions on who can pick up out of the ER itself beyond normal county protocols for BLS/ALS/CCT that I'm aware of. I've picked up patients out of ERs going back to SNFs or if they're stabilized for non emergency BLS transport to another hospitals ER for insurance reasons or whatever (I.e. a Kaiser member gets taken to the ER at PIH, after they're stabilized, Kaiser'll want them transferred to one of their facilities)

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
PIH? Well you have to go through the ER to get to the floor for IFTs for one. I'm not aware of any restrictions on who can pick up out of the ER itself beyond normal county protocols for BLS/ALS/CCT that I'm aware of. I've picked up patients out of ERs going back to SNFs or if they're stabilized for non emergency BLS transport to another hospitals ER for insurance reasons or whatever (I.e. a Kaiser member gets taken to the ER at PIH, after they're stabilized, Kaiser'll want them transferred to one of their facilities)

That does count as operating in the county which they don't have a right to correct?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
That does count as operating in the county which they don't have a right to correct?

"The Ambulance Operator Business License for the following company was denied by the Ambulance Licensing Hearing Board on April 18, 2013; however, an appeal of this decision and a request for a stay (which would allow the company to continue operating in the cities for which they are properly licensed pending the outcome of their appeal) was received by the Business License Commission Office on May 15, 2013, the decision of the Business/Ambulance License Appeals Officer regarding the stay and appeal, is pending:
 Med-Life Ambulance Services, Inc."

Very bottom of the pending applications list on the LA County EMS Agency website
http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/AmbulanceLicensing/AmbOperAppReceived.pdf

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
In other words Medlife is circling the drain, but can still operate until the appeals officer makes their ruling.

My question is is how likely is the appeals to say no, if that happens are they shut down for good or can they appeal again?

If appeals says yes, would ML be good to go then? Or are there more hoops to jump through after?

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
The following was posted on la county ems website
"The Ambulance Operator Business License for the following company was denied by the Ambulance Licensing Hearing Board on April 18, 2013; however, their appeal is in process and during this time they have obtained a stay which allows the company to continue operating in the cities for which they are properly licensed pending the outcome of their appeal:
 Med-Life Ambulance Services, Inc.
The Business/Ambulance License Appeals Officer has scheduled an appeal hearing for the above company on July 8, 2013."

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
How many appeals do they get before they have to close down?

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
How many appeals do they get before they have to close down?

Wrong question, the correct question is how many times does appeal officer accept appeal before granting them a win . I have a feeling that after hearing, appeal officer will grant them a win and be done with it.

I wonder how their hearing went as well....

emergency123

Forum Crew Member
Medlife hearing

Well I'm sure the Appeals officer is getting tired of the back and forth between Medlife and LACoEMS hearing officers....I bet the Appeals officer will grant Medlife and I sure if that happens, Medlife will be closely scrutinized/monitored ect.