medication question for newbie

Mattie

Forum Ride Along
I just applied for and got a job offer with AMR!! this is really my last opportunity to not end up broke and working at mcdonalds. i'm so happy and excited. I have not yet started the pre-employment process. I take 2 medications that might dq me. adderall and valium. (the valium is an as needed sedadtive i only take for calming myself before bed) does anyone know if that will be a problem on a drug screen? they're legally prescribed and i wouldn't take them if i didn't need to but will a dr's note matter? i'm mostly only concerned with the adderall because i don't take the valium very often. should i just stop taking them until the drug test? i tried google with no luck. any info on this would be greatly appreciated as i'm very desperate to keep this opportunity. oh I'm in southern california if that helps any.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If they're prescribed by a physician, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

OP
OP
M

Mattie

Forum Ride Along
If they're prescribed by a physician, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.
well one of the interviewers told me if i wanted i could get a dr's note saying it wouldn't affect my driving and that it should be fine. but i wasn't sure. i've been wanting this exact job for a long time and i don't want anything to screw it up, and adderall is a controlled substance.

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
Because he'll pop for benzodiazepines on a pee test.
Ive had this issue before. I just got my doctor to send a fax saying the medication I was on would make me test positive for that substance. And I never had to disclose what medication and what it was for.

OP
OP
M

Mattie

Forum Ride Along
So I should just get a dr's note and I'll be fine? i'm really nervous about this because this is my dream job and i'm new to EMS, I don't know how employers react to medications like mine.

wilderness911

paramedic student
Ive had this issue before. I just got my doctor to send a fax saying the medication I was on would make me test positive for that substance. And I never had to disclose what medication and what it was for.

Who did you have the fax sent to, the employer or the drug testing company?

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
My employer, they may have contacts the drug testing company with it for questions. But I don't know. They just told me I needed to provide evidence that I was prescribed medication that would make me test positive for such substance.