McCormick vs AMR/AMR vs McCormick

DME107

Forum Probie
Very last question for this thread: Anyone know if McCormick pay for a full 24-hour shift, regardless of call volume?
Care pays 24 out of 24 no matter what. I've ran 2 calls on a 24. I have to agree with @gonefishing. I'm pretty sure that violates state law..... Unless they pull that federal law trumps state law bull

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Care pays 24 out of 24 no matter what. I've ran 2 calls on a 24. I have to agree with @gonefishing. I'm pretty sure that violates state law..... Unless they pull that federal law trumps state law bull

By bull you mean article VI of the Constitution? That says when state law conflicts with federal law, federal law prevails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

DME107

Forum Probie
By bull you mean article VI of the Constitution? That says when state law conflicts with federal law, federal law prevails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Yeah that stuff. Who cares about that.

Isaias Martinez Jr

Forum Probie
McCormick starting pay is currently minimum wage. I got a 3% pay bump after a year (works out to 30 something cents) for having a good eval, apparently, the 3% was the max yearly bump, but we'll see how that changes with the changes to the county and state minimum wage laws.

However, despite the low pay, the biggest draw for new EMTs coming to McCormick over places like AMR or Care is the fact that everyone runs virtually 100% 911 calls. There is some IFTs, but it's more like one once in a while. We have no IFT only units. Even the medic units are in the 911 rotation (where they run as a BLS unit due to the County EMS politics we all know and love:rolleyes:). Even as a new employee on a day car, you'll still run tons more 911 calls than IFTs.

New employees typically start off on 12 hour "Day Cars" (though roughly half of them are actually 11 1/2 hours long and the rest are a full 12 hours, with no apparent rhyme or reason I've ever been able to figure out for the difference), though there's always openings on the station based 24 hour units. Once you clear training you can pick up overtime at any opening at any station to your hearts content essentially.....if you manage to catch the schedule as it's posted, you may even be able to snag an OT shift on one of the coveted Malibu units! (though openings on those are......less rare than down in busier areas such as Willowbrook or Lynwood or Hawthorne lol). They've changed the rule recently but I do believe it's currently after 3 months you can start to bid on stations. (Just be aware that while you can bid on Malibu stations 19 and 20.....you're bid will be in the back of a loooonnnggg line of other bids for those coveted spots, you'll have much more luck bidding somewhere like Ladera Heights, less busy then down in Inglewood, but still not known as a "vacation station" lol. I have a shift bid in for our West Hollywood station (Station 4), I placed that one maybe 6 months ago now? Word is there's still a couple people in line in front of me for when openings there occur)

You don't really hear too much of people leaving for other ambulance companies. Unless you're talking about people who get their medic then leave for somewhere like AMR Ventura or Rancho or the like. So I guess there's not much of any widespread dissatisfaction problems. Now, of course, you get a room of us together we can ***** and gripe and complain about the company all day long if you let us lol, but honestly, that's really gonna be true no matter where you go. After being here a little longer than a year I only know of one person who left for another ambulance company (Care) who wasn't fired first and everyone else I know that has plans to leave, those plans all involve either going Fire, or Police or Nursing or PA or Med school....so unlike some other companies I've worked for in the past, there's not really any exodus of people getting hired than fleeing for other companies after a few months lol

New hire orientation (at least at the time I went through) is 5 days long, mostly classroom stuff with a skills day, then you get assigned to an FTO and you work 5 shifts (12 hours) on their shift as a third rider doing Field Training. Then you have to pass a policy test and a mapping test. Pass those and you get assigned to a shift, wherever they need you at that time. You'll be an "Attendant Only" i.e. not allowed to drive for the first 3 to 6 months until they have an EVOC class (classroom plus cone course) then you find an FTO and do 3 drivers training shifts before you're allowed to drive.

Hey Jim, thanks for the info. I just passed McCormick's map and written test. I have orrientation in 2 weeks. About that policy test. It's la county policy just like what we studied in emt school right?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey Jim, thanks for the info. I just passed McCormick's map and written test. I have orrientation in 2 weeks. About that policy test. It's la county policy just like what we studied in emt school right?
If you're asking about this policy test
New hire orientation (at least at the time I went through) is 5 days long, mostly classroom stuff with a skills day, then you get assigned to an FTO and you work 5 shifts (12 hours) on their shift as a third rider doing Field Training. Then you have to pass a policy test and a mapping test. Pass those and you get assigned to a shift, wherever they need you at that time.
Then it's a McCormick policy test on our own internal policys and procedures. Stuff like uniform standards (differences in Class A and B, etc) out of chute and response times, attendance, etc etc. You'll be given a policy book and go over everything in Orientation, but your FTO will expect you to be studying and know them cuz they'll quiz you on it, because you have to pass the test to clear training.

DME107

Forum Probie

You still have to do a lift test, patient assessment and interview with Lucas.

Then you go through orientation.... If I'm not mistaken.

Isaias Martinez Jr

Forum Probie
If you're asking about this policy test Then it's a McCormick policy test on our own internal policys and procedures. Stuff like uniform standards (differences in Class A and B, etc) out of chute and response times, attendance, etc etc. You'll be given a policy book and go over everything in Orientation, but your FTO will expect you to be studying and know them cuz they'll quiz you on it, because you have to pass the test to clear training.

Oh okay. Thanks for the info

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
More end of an Era. Bowers, Schaefer (slowly dying) now they are gonna kill off McCormick. Unbelievable.
f1dc1b47dabc8c22b404bbdeb55b9551.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Welcome to the family!!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Now my biggest question is what is amr gonna do with the Red rigs?
Lol, clearly you're new to this- whatever they want.

I think it's a sneaky, underhanded way to get back their EOA they once possessed known as their "South Bay" deployment; and some of their old Cerritos areas, too. Classic AMR stickin' it to the "LA County boys".

Ah My Ride is back in the real LA County every bawdy!

DME107

Forum Probie
Lol, clearly you're new to this- whatever they want.

I think it's a sneaky, underhanded way to get back their EOA they once possessed known as their "South Bay" deployment; and some of their old Cerritos areas, too. Classic AMR stickin' it to the "LA County boys".

Ah My Ride is back in the real LA County every bawdy!

Clearly you didn't get the joke, but whatever...you old timers on this site are funny.

It's obvious they only want mccormick because of the previously lost la county contracts. I'm sure in the end it's a good thing for current mccormick employees but what do I know.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Clearly you didn't get the joke, but whatever...you old timers on this site are funny.

It's obvious they only want mccormick because of the previously lost la county contracts. I'm sure in the end it's a good thing for current mccormick employees but what do I know.
Well Jr alot of us saw what happened what the amr buy outs in the past and it didn't work out well.

DME107

Forum Probie
Well Jr alot of us saw what happened what the amr buy outs in the past and it didn't work out well.

Haha junior.... You have no idea who I am or how long I have been around. Keep talking old timer.

AMR can and will do what it wants so why get all serious about it.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Haha junior.... You have no idea who I am or how long I have been around. Keep talking old timer.
Well, if you started at Liberty in LA, not that long, youngster;). They were barely starting up when I got my medic, but that's really neither here nor there.
why get all serious about it.
I agree with this, but give fish a little respect. I don't know too many old timers calling themselves old timers. Don't be a tool.

Anyhow, unless they're contractually obligated to keep these units this scheme, they're known to re-paint with the classic AMR red, white, and blue. That said, it is a lucrative contract, so I don't see them not bending over to keep their contracts happy. Maybe you work there, maybe you know //shrugs//

Also, the McCormick HQ seen on their website sure looks a lot like AMR's old LA County dispatch center. If it is, well that sure smells like coincidence to this "fogie".

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
they're known to re-paint with the classic AMR red, white, and blue.

The old R/M units in SD are still red. AMR has red units in the So Cal area... well primarily in SD county. I see AMR doing what AMR does best... saving money and keeping the color the same.