McCormick vs AMR/AMR vs McCormick

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Man this thread is making me incredibly thankful to be on the east coast.

They way addrobo makes it seem, is that its a big deal for services out there to talk with a physician?
Eh, not really that big of a deal to talk with a doctor. Every county here is different. Los Angeles in the most notoriously archaic system bar none. And as he eluded to, there aren't pissing matches in every part of the state.

Where I am, much like where he is, generally everyone gets along fine. I don't call for orders unless perhaps it's something that's rarely done, or seen that I may want coverage from my end on.

Every state, city, system, county has issues. Read the whole thread before responding next time.
From what you know, about how long before a new EMT is able to do CCT, even occasionally?
Re: fly-by-night IFT companies- this is nothing new.

As far as CCT work, it depends. Some of the more reputable heavy IFT companies probably contract for better/ higher acuity transfer cars, and (I would imagine) yield higher quality nurses with more experience, and better equipment. It's been a good while since I've been involved with that area so I couldn't give you any current companies other than those previously mentioned already, good luck.

TheComebacKid

Forum Crew Member
@Jim37F That said more often than not the squaddies weren't the nicest people to be around, or directly learn from

So much truth to this. Medics in LA county are either incredibly friendly or absolutely hate private EMTs (Although some private guys give them a good reason to) You truely learn what NOT to do by working along side county fire medics. They aren't all bad, but as someone who takes patient care and bedside manner to heart, they are some of the most laziest, inconsiderate jerks who do not deserve a blue card or belong anywhere near a tackle box.

McCormick no offense to any one like Jim and a few others ive met over the years, is full of jr fire fighters. Doing the job waiting to get their number called while making minimum wage.

I loved everything about working at McCormick except the other EMTs. The job was a lot of fun, but when I first started, all the inglewood and Lynwood guys would be holding the wall with unzipped boots, untucked shirts, trying to pull rank, talking about how the company ain't like it used to be and how they are the back bone of county fire. Then you walk into the Er bay to find a thick layer of grime and dirt on their ambulance with the inside cab littered with week old fast food bags and water bottles filled with dip spit. (Dipping on the job is hilarious since a majority of mccormick guys only started dipping because they saw county medics doing it and wanted to pick up their habits). Just like county medics, They aren't all bad (Jim37F was always an awesome and friendly dude when I worked in the South bay!) but there will always be the good and the bad.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Fortunately most of "those guys"^ seem to be gone now (word has it management has quietly let go a lot of those old guard for various infractions over the last few months, personally I don't know anyone who got the boot, but I do know that with a bunch of recent new hire classes there is a bunch of openings in the schedule...)

Fortunately the new shiny red ambulances do have a bit of a psychological impact of "oooh new, better keep this brand new rig that belongs to me clean" vs some of the old rigs pushing 200k miles so full of old dents and dings it was like "why bother?" (My old frontline was kinda like that)

And while there's a few EMTs there i don't like (and one guy that if I saw I was scheduled to work with, if seriously consider calling off sick that day...) but for the most part it's the fellow EMTs that make it worth coming in to work, at least at my station haha.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Fortunately most of "those guys"^ seem to be gone now (word has it management has quietly let go a lot of those old guard for various infractions over the last few months, personally I don't know anyone who got the boot, but I do know that with a bunch of recent new hire classes there is a bunch of openings in the schedule...)

Fortunately the new shiny red ambulances do have a bit of a psychological impact of "oooh new, better keep this brand new rig that belongs to me clean" vs some of the old rigs pushing 200k miles so full of old dents and dings it was like "why bother?" (My old frontline was kinda like that)

And while there's a few EMTs there i don't like (and one guy that if I saw I was scheduled to work with, if seriously consider calling off sick that day...) but for the most part it's the fellow EMTs that make it worth coming in to work, at least at my station haha.
You never answered me Jimbo, what happened to the station with the Jacuzzi tub? lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
You never answered me Jimbo, what happened to the station with the Jacuzzi tub? lol

Hmmm.....I wish we had one at mine! lol but no I have no idea about any with such a nicety. Sounds like a Malibu thing lol, which also happens to be the only couple of stations I haven't yet visited up in that area lol but I have not run across one yet

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmm.....I wish we had one at mine! lol but no I have no idea about any with such a nicety. Sounds like a Malibu thing lol, which also happens to be the only couple of stations I haven't yet visited up in that area lol but I have not run across one yet
LOL last time I knew it exsisted was around 2 years ago and I know the owner was looking to end the lease.

TheComebacKid

Forum Crew Member

I can confirm that the Malibu and Zuma stations do not have hot tubs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did at some point. Both of them are just beach houses fitted to accommodate two EMTs.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I can confirm that the Malibu and Zuma stations do not have hot tubs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did at some point. Both of them are just beach houses fitted to accommodate two EMTs.
The station I speak of I believe is no longer used. Owner wanted to end the leasing terms to sale off the property.

TheComebacKid

Forum Crew Member

I honestly liked the White and Blue color scheme better. The red is just so bland with a skinny little grey stripe.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I honestly liked the White and Blue color scheme better. The red is just so bland with a skinny little grey stripe.
totally agree they needed to include a stripe down the middle, just look at the red Mercy rigs you see at the shop, those are alright, like you said, without it, ours are just kinda boring solid......and honestly the "ooh shiny new rig" would prob work just as well with the old color scheme....but in any case, I get to go wash and wax goldenrod yellow rigs now :D:cool:

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Not yet at least, hopefully soon! I'm thinking after I put in my 2 weeks I'll find a Space-A flight (when my schedule is a lot more flexible lol) to go apartment hunting

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
20170607_144538.jpg
Screenshot_20170621-222757.png
The black "PARAMEDIC" on RA504 helps, but yeah, still needs a stripe lol

OP
OP
Tony Maximilian

Tony Maximilian

Eternal Optimist
Very last question for this thread: Anyone know if McCormick pay for a full 24-hour shift, regardless of call volume?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Very last question for this thread: Anyone know if McCormick pay for a full 24-hour shift, regardless of call volume?
For 24 hour shifts. There's a designated sleep period from 11 (2300) to 0700.....any 5 uninterrupted hours in that time period and you only get paid for 22 hours. Doesn't matter if you've already ran 15 calls in the meantime. Conversely any call or move up, even if you immediately get cancelled and returned and even if that's your only call of the shift, and you get the full 24 hrs. Most shifts you'll end up paid the full 24 lol, especially the ones newbies get placed on lol

OP
OP
Tony Maximilian

Tony Maximilian

Eternal Optimist
For 24 hour shifts. There's a designated sleep period from 11 (2300) to 0700.....any 5 uninterrupted hours in that time period and you only get paid for 22 hours. Doesn't matter if you've already ran 15 calls in the meantime. Conversely any call or move up, even if you immediately get cancelled and returned and even if that's your only call of the shift, and you get the full 24 hrs. Most shifts you'll end up paid the full 24 lol, especially the ones newbies get placed on lol

Interesting. Thanks.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm pretty sure that violates CA labor law