Is there anywhere I can get an affordable custom badge made?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
If professionalism requires badges, then this guy is *so* not a professional:

220px-James_Mattis_Official_SECDEF_Photo.jpg

In all seriousness, you should ask this: Why do I need a badge, especially if most of my colleagues aren't wearing one? (FWIW, if it's an unreimbursed uniform expense, it is probably tax deductible.)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Squirrel for sure....common terminology everywhere I have been. Squirrels always looking to get a nut...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Squirrel for sure....common terminology everywhere I have been. Squirrels always looking to get a nut...

Where I grew up in CT, they were called "rinks". No idea why. Everywhere else it's Whacker, Squirrel or Ricky Rescue.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The current county I work for has polos and t-shirts for uniform. It does not look "public-safetyish". This is unlike the other county service I worked for that had class A's as uniforms.

I feel the badge on a belt holder would look more professional, instead of being so minimalistic.

If you want to call me a "squirrel" or a "whacker" so be it. But I want to look like a professional.
Doesn't looking professional also mean looking like the rest of your service?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If professionalism requires badges, then this guy is *so* not a professional:

220px-James_Mattis_Official_SECDEF_Photo.jpg
Technically, the Secretary of Defense is a civilian position, so wearing a uniform with badges would be inappropriate, especially if he (or she) isn't active duty in the military.

Kind of like public officials elected as fire commissioners, they are civilian positions, so uniforms and badges are not appropriate dress, regardless of what their other job or background is.

BTW, if you are wearing a badge, and no one else wears them, than wearing that badge puts you out of uniform. Just saying.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Where I grew up in CT, they were called "rinks". No idea why. Everywhere else it's Whacker, Squirrel or Ricky Rescue.
Definitely regional then. Cali just calls 'em "ricks"; tools works, too.

Last edited:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@DrParasite, your point is well founded for sure. Still, I hope my *overall* sentiment was appreciated - i.e. that you don't see physicians or attorneys (i.e. the prototypical professionals) wearing badges...

DrParasite

@EpiEMS just to play contrarian, I know of several attorneys who have badges. They happen to work in the prosecutors office, as assistant district attorneys, but they are still lawyers.

It is my personal opinion, and this only my opinion, but I think if EMS is considered public safety we should have badges. Not the metal ones (although those do belong on dress uniforms, but not on day to day attire), but having a cloth version sewn on to a uniforms shirt does help portray that professional appearance.

Then again. I also hate wearing any employer ID (I've lost mine twice when i worked on the ambulance, along with my parking card), and much rather prefer having my name embroidered on my uniform shirts, with the appropriate patches reflecting the agency that I am working for. But again, this is only my opinion.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
My sevice recently made the change to give our EMTs and Paramedics blue and black polos, respectively. The polos have our department logo on the left chest and an NREMT patch on the sleeve. I love them, and I think they look plenty professional, in addition to being much more comfortable than the button ups.

I get the feeling that you do not want a badge to look professional- you want one to look "cool" and are attempting to justify it. Trust me, if you show up to work one day with your little custom badge your coworkers will think you are anything but cool. Do your social life a favor and drop the whole custom badge deal and instead focus your time on becoming a more educated, competent provider.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
The current county I work for has polos and t-shirts for uniform. It does not look "public-safetyish". This is unlike the other county service I worked for that had class A's as uniforms.

I feel the badge on a belt holder would look more professional, instead of being so minimalistic.

If you want to call me a "squirrel" or a "whacker" so be it. But I want to look like a professional.

I understand where you're coming from with wanting to look professional, but a badge doesn't automatically make one more professional and doesn't make sense for healthcare professionals. I feel I look like a professional in my scrubs or my medic school uniform (polo or vest/job shirt, EMT pants, boots). Flight crews look professional in flight suits. Doctors look professional when they dress.

In addition, I'm majorly against badges. Unless you're in a sworn position, you shouldn't be wearing them.

Spend the money on a good text book or a class.

phideux

Forum Captain
A badge on your belt won't make you look professional or cool, except maybe to you. I was issued a badge to wear with our "dress uniform", that only comes out for funerals.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Here is mine:

a4114033-27-badges-we-don-t-need-no-stinking-badges.gif

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I don't understand the desire to wear a badge...We got ours issued through the city, for our dress uniforms, which I've only had to wear once...Otherwise we wear polos, which tbh, in the summer time are absolutely miserable...I'd rather be able to wear just a t-shirt in the summer. Having a badge on all the time would be more of an annoyance to me, worrying about it getting hung up on a strap, getting caught on patients in tight situations and maybe getting ripped off. (That may be a bit unrealistic, as I know many services do have their medics/EMTs wear badges all the time) bit to me, that's what I would be worried about. Why add more crap to what I already have. More is not always better. I learned that a lot g time ago in the Corps; packing gear lists for a 2 week field IP that required practically every piece of issued gear we owned.

We may work at the same place! :)

City agency, yes, we have badges for our dress uniforms. I have been with the agency over 3 years, I've worn my badge ONCE. The day it was pinned on me... Our polo shirts are plenty 'professional' and while I'd much rather have a t-shirt in the summer too, I'll take the polo over a button up with a badge any day.

I have never, in over 3 years, thought to myself while on shift, "Man, I wish I was wearing my dress uniform with my badge!" Nope. Never. Not once.

DrParasite

In addition, I'm majorly against badges. Unless you're in a sworn position, you shouldn't be wearing them.
So if EMS were to become a "sworn" position, and enjoy many of the perks that come with it, you would be in favor of us having them?

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
So if EMS were to become a "sworn" position, and enjoy many of the perks that come with it, you would be in favor of us having them?

At my agency, we are sworn. The full 'badging and swearing' ceremony and everything.

As for perks.. well, I've noticed I get a great discount at Chick Fil A. And I love me some Chick Fil A.

Dennhop

Forum Crew Member
At my agency, we are sworn. The full 'badging and swearing' ceremony and everything.

As for perks.. well, I've noticed I get a great discount at Chick Fil A. And I love me some Chick Fil A.

We were sworn in at the ceremony? Lol. I missed it