I failed again for the 3rd time NREMT-P, please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnyevans2001

Forum Ride Along
Hello, let me first start by saying I got cut off at 80 question and I left out of the testing center feeling somewhat good about it. Well I got my results and I didnt pass for the 3rd time and very upset as I want to pass this darn test more than anything right now. I was using the website emt-national-training and had been scroing very high in it. I also used and purchased passmedics notes as well. I was wondering if there was something else other than fisdap study tools which I just purchased that could help me? Also Im not in EMS im in the military so how would I go about getting a 48hr refresher and submitted in, as they are telling me this is required in order to take it again? Thanks for all your help!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Maybe rewrite and post thins in MILITARY?

Maybe another military member will see it there?

It is not a good sign when folks start buying all the magic study notes and guides. Is this really for you?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
you need to study from the normal books. The smaller notes just are sufficent, obviously if you failed 3 times from studying.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Quite honestly, if you've failed it three times, now is the time to question if being a paramedic is really for you.

That being said, there's no use purchasing more study aids when you've already tried aids just like them that obviously didn't work. Like firecoins said, study from your paramedic text, that's the only true way to pass the NREMT. It's not a difficult test by any means, it is simply there to determine whether you know the bare minimum that is required to be a paramedic, and you should know that info at this point in the game.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Quite honestly, if you've failed it three times, now is the time to question if being a paramedic is really for you.

What makes you say that?

Extensive experience as an educator?

One of the best medics I ever met had to take the test 5 times. He was educated to a higher level prior to medic school and couldn't effectively dumb himself down to national registry.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
What makes you say that?

One of the best medics I ever met had to take the test 5 times. He was educated to a higher level prior to medic school and couldn't effectively dumb himself down to national registry.

My own personal opinion, I assumed that as a forum it could be assumed that my posts are my own opinion?

If this is a case like the one you mentioned, then I apologize. If not, then I stand by my statement.

Anjel

Forum Angel
What makes you say that?

Woahhhh you posted.

And what you are saying definitely isn't the norm.

It is a hard test from what I heard. But if you know your stuff I don't see why you should have to buy all these extra cheat.sheeta.juat to help you pass.

OP... You may of taken a bad program....have poor study skills, bad at test taking. Just know your stuff in and out keep trying or retake the program.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If I may?

I am not convinced the cases are similar, but I do have some insight on the system.

In the last and the current curriculum (the latest one,) there is an increase in basic science as well as its emphasis over skills.

As such there is a probalem across the nation as many instructors have no background in these sciences, becomming instructors based on their time in EMS.

In the past, memorizing disconnected facts related to EMS was enough to pass and that is no longer the case.

Though every EMS publisher including one I contract to is creating powerpoints to present to students for instructors that have no idea what they are teaching.

As such, at this moment in history there is a very high likelyhood the problem is with the instruction.

To add to that, this soldier mentioned he was in the army, so he may have stressors and responsibilities that preclude a focus on academic performance. As well as a predisposition towards "what is needed to be known for the field."

As well acclimation from military to civillian world takes some time, and trying to pass a medic exam during, it is in my teaching experience, very difficult for the students.

If he is a medic, he may also simply not know what he doesn't know about civilian medicine but his military training allows him to take a test he is not prepared for and there is an under estimation of what is involved.

I would agree with your assessment if it were a different time in EMS and you were replying to some person whos only focus was passing paramedic class.

But as it stands today, the old wisdom does not apply.

Anjel, I told firetender I would extend some charity :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It is a hard test from what I heard. But if you know your stuff I don't see why you should have to buy all these extra cheat.sheeta.juat to help you pass.

See I heard the complete opposite. Everyone I've talked to said it isn't very difficult at all. On the other hand my class final is going to be a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and a half.

Trauma_Junkie

No rest for the wicked...
See I heard the complete opposite. Everyone I've talked to said it isn't very difficult at all. On the other hand my class final is going to be a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and a half.

That's the vibe I'm getting from talking to current medics that took their medic class with our instructor.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Getting through the paramedic course should be more difficult that the test for sure.

Rumor has it the fastest finish time on our final is 5.75 hrs. :ph34r: :blink:

medic417

The Truth Provider
http://www.jonpuryear.com/ Does some live online refreshers. Not sure when the next one is but the web site should say. Might also check with percomonline.com.

CHITOWNMEDIC

Forum Probie
Passing the NR EMT

All I know is that this was the first time I took their test and I made sure I slept well the night prior to taking the written. But I've also been a medic since 1984 so I don't know what advice I can give in regards to doing anything different to pass the written. There were some very unusual questions on the written I took Tuesday but I either used a process of elimination & checked the answer that would make sense to the NR, or just took an educated quess, it worked for me. Now all I have is the practical to finish .

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Hello, let me first start by saying I got cut off at 80 question and I left out of the testing center feeling somewhat good about it. Well I got my results and I didnt pass for the 3rd time and very upset as I want to pass this darn test more than anything right now. I was using the website emt-national-training and had been scroing very high in it. I also used and purchased passmedics notes as well. I was wondering if there was something else other than fisdap study tools which I just purchased that could help me? Also Im not in EMS im in the military so how would I go about getting a 48hr refresher and submitted in, as they are telling me this is required in order to take it again? Thanks for all your help!

Have you been evaluated for a learning disability? It could be something to look into. Many cases of ADD, dyslexia ect. go undiagnosed into adult hood and they can effect your test taking skills.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain

I don't know if you have a state final, or if you just do NREMT-P, but you will be grateful when you get to your certifying exam that your class final was a bear. You will be able to walk out of the certifying exam saying "Wow, did I miss something? That wasn't bad at all." My paramedic original class had a 100% pass rate on the state final if the person got through the class final OK. (Ours was 2 nights, 4 hours each.)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
What makes you say that?

Yeah, but you and I both know that there are statistical abberations in any population. Your friend is one of them. Chances are the OP is not. As an educator with a fair amount of experience, I'd like to point out that someone who fails the exam more than once is probably not cut out for the field.

Getting through the paramedic course should be more difficult that the test for sure.

If you're not washing out 50-75% of a class (before they ever make it to the final exam let alone the state or national credentialing process), you should seriously be considering whether to increase the standards.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief

One question everyone seems to have missed, if you are in the military, not in EMS, what type of course have you actually done? Was it through the military? Was it a civilian college course or what?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Yeah, but you and I both know that there are statistical abberations in any population. Your friend is one of them. Chances are the OP is not. As an educator with a fair amount of experience, I'd like to point out that someone who fails the exam more than once is probably not cut out for the field.

I thought that way at one time, but as I see more and more good people stumble over mutliple choice exams that do not measure any level of knowledge, but the ability to identify similar concepts I have had a change of heart.

If you're not washing out 50-75% of a class (before they ever make it to the final exam let alone the state or national credentialing process), you should seriously be considering whether to increase the standards.

While stimulating for debate, this is not the case. University classes are designed that 75% fall within the C average in a gausian distribution. As EMS very very slowly moves into an education rather than a vocation, it will have to meet the same criteria that other educational programs fall into.

This past year, the US EMS school I teach at received its certification audit. Now one of the State criteria for certification of the educational institution is an attrition rate below 20%

This is done for a couple of reasons.

The most important is to put a premium on front end selection, to make sure unqualified candidates are not simply being used as a cash cow and droppped before examination so the pass rate is high enough to maintain the school's certification.

The other is for the protection of the students who will in all likelyhood be taking out educational loans in order to pay for the classes. Allowing students in and then dropping them without refund saddles them with an educational debt that will not go away and not give them the opportunity to enter a workforce in order to pay off said debt.

Any organization that has a fail rate of >25% probably has serious organizational deficencies if not teaching staff who need to be unemployed.

The purpose of education is to teach, not to weed out.

I find it rather ironic that practicioners in perhaps the world's most dysfunctional healthcare system talk about weeding people out.

Especially considering that there are very few healthcare systems that have ancillary providers outside of nursing and radiology and nobody else has anywhere near the level of them the US does.

If you want to start weeding people out, unecessary providers are a better start than candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.