How old are you?

dhump4free

Forum Crew Member

Hoping that its only a quarter of through life.

Porta

Forum Lieutenant

Stay away from negative, emotionally draining people. Its amazing how many friends we have who meet this qualification. Just get rid of them.

YES.

Nearly 30. You're never too old to start over.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm older than born, younger than dead.

My advice for the new EMT is to simply take the book and throw it away. While it was good enough to get you started, you'll need to learn a LOT more than that to really do the job the way it's supposed to be done. Your old book can't take you far enough.

And never stop learning. When you think you have learned all there is to learn about EMS, that's the day you should quit.

Legliss

Forum Ride Along
17, and my advice is....well I'm looking for advice as it is! Keep your eyes and ears open when dealing with patients and always listen to your senior medics

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
17, and my advice is....well I'm looking for advice as it is! Keep your eyes and ears open when dealing with patients and always listen to your senior medics

And remember to fact check occasionally.

Vladamir von bone

Forum Probie

only been at this 9 months
I've learned no matter what the nurses are always rite

Your patient over there the one having a his second seizure he's just doing his funny dance he can stay in triage another 20 mins you emts don't know what your talking about

Also THE CAKE IS A LIE!

AUSEMT

Forum Probie

been working in ems 3 years, still consider myself a total probie

Never be afraid to asks questions afterwards
Know when not to talk
Being polite and courteous will always pay off in the long run

Find a mentor who will support and teach you what you need to learn, not what you want to know

learn from everyone, everything and every source, keep looking for more, the learning never stops

whenever you hear something you dont know/havent heard of/dont understand... educate yourself! look it up and if you still dont understand, ask questions!

ECG's are the hardest thing you will ever teach yourself... they make the coagulation cascade feel like the alphabet... dont give up, keep going at it and you will start to have epiphany moments, but at the same time, dont get upset or force it.

politics or any other cr*p should never interfere with the best care of the patient

people die, thats life, our job isnt saving lives, thats a tiny bonus. most people who are dead will stay that way and most people who are alive will stay that way no matter what we do to 'em.
our job is to ease pain.. become a master of that!

Never forget the basics.... the pediatric TBI dosing for suxemethonium is useless if you dont know how many puffs of Salbutamol MDI to give.

you dont need a lot of equipment, knowledge and the ability to improvise is 1000 times more valuable.

never rely on technology. it is there to supplement the assessment... always look listen and feel, knowledge costs nothing but pays for itself.

remember to laugh

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Emotionally 12-14
Humor 8
Mentally forever 18
physically 72
Biologically close to cresting that proverbial hill

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Lifeguard/dock hand/ first aider =age 19
Firefighter/crash rescueman = 22-26
EMT-A ("Basic") = 24-31
RN= 30-still licensed but retired age 57 minus 1 month
Born 1953

If we were waiting for a bus and mine was about to arrive, I'd say: "Over-learn the basics and keep learning; learn your protocols; THINK with every patient; keep your ego out of patient care; watch your and your partner's back; family and you first before the job".

flhtci01

Forum Captain
52 Learn something from every run even if they are a frequent flyer.