How old are you?

OP
OP
Always BSI

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
I have the pearson Emergency care 11th edition. Would you recommend to buy newer versions of that to stay up on my EMT knowledge?

Are there any books you guys can recommend for me?

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
The newer versions of EMT-B textbooks are basically identical to the old ones, don't buy a new one. Good reading would be works on A&P, pharmacology, that kind of thing. Most will be more helpful as a paramedic, but more knowledge is never bad.

As for me, I'm 23, and in addition to all the advice here, I'd say staying calm is important. Nothing was ever solved by being worked up, and it's very embarrassing when the EMS crew is more worked up then the patient's family.
Take deep breaths, and remember that you can never actually make a cardiac arrest patient any worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devistat

Forum Ride Along
I'm 23 and the advice I have is for the experienced individuals teaching and passing on their knowledge, Also a quote my old journeyman told me in my welding days. “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”
. Probably the greatest advice I've ever received.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
We use the 8th edition of the "transport of the sick and injured"

Obstructions

Forum Crew Member
18, I was the youngest in my EMT class.

Even if you don't know what you're doing, pretend like you do know for the patient.

Steffah

Forum Probie
18, I was the youngest in my EMT class.

Even if you don't know what you're doing, pretend like you do know for the patient.

Same here, and if you go to EMT school when you're under 21, prepare to play hell finding a job (unless you're in a BFE county and know everybody :glare:)

Keep learning. It sounds cliche, but it's so important. Ask your coworkers for their advice. Do online research. Learn about everything you can, don't get the 'well when will I use this as an EMT?' attitude, there's no such thing as bad knowledge. EMT school does not teach you everything you need to know, you have to learn the rest on your own terms.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Same here, and if you go to EMT school when you're under 21, prepare to play hell finding a job (unless you're in a BFE county and know everybody :glare:)

In some places this may be true but I work with plenty of people under 21 (including myself), and this is in a major urban area. Sure you have to try harder, but keep at it and asking if positions are available until they tell you no. Not no answer, no.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I'm 23 and the advice I have is for the experienced individuals teaching and passing on their knowledge, Also a quote my old journeyman told me in my welding days. “Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”
. Probably the greatest advice I've ever received.

+1 great advise

OP
OP
Always BSI

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Yea I completed my EMT class back in FALL 2010...

yes 2010...

I just got hired a week ago Took nearly 2 years... First EMT job I'm really excited. This place gives good advice.

:beerchug:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yea I completed my EMT class back in FALL 2010...

yes 2010...

I just got hired a week ago Took nearly 2 years... First EMT job I'm really excited. This place gives good advice.

:beerchug:

Omg that's when I took my EMT class! Haha

OP
OP
Always BSI

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Omg that's when I took my EMT class! Haha

Yep, We had this discussion on another thread... before I had my name changed because of certain reasons... ;)

We went to the same school as well haha

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yep, We had this discussion on another thread... before I had my name changed because of certain reasons... ;)

We went to the same school as well haha

I know haha. I was teasing :p

OP
OP
Always BSI

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Ah I see haha the damn heat is getting to me!

hoop762

Forum Crew Member

The whole point of our existence on this planet is to have a positive impact on the lives of those around us. Live that every day and you will never go wrong.

Treatment with drugs and what not is a very small part of pt care...CARE being emphasized more than anything else.

Steffah

Forum Probie
In some places this may be true but I work with plenty of people under 21 (including myself), and this is in a major urban area. Sure you have to try harder, but keep at it and asking if positions are available until they tell you no. Not no answer, no.

Not impossible (hence why I have a job), just more difficult. My advice isn't to wait until you're 21, it's just be prepared to work hard to get that first job ;) but once you get it, you'll be happy you didn't wait.