first call of the day is...

Jwan

Just a guy
Disp to the unresponsive in a car, possible overdose.

Pt was unresponsive, no overdose, with a blood glucose of 14. Lowest number I've seen. Im assuming 10 and under would read "Lo" on the glucometer?

Depending on the glucometer but yea, below reportable range but usually the pt breathing like a fish out of water will give it away!

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Here's the most important question... how much strength did it take you to keep from laughing you bum off?
All that I had. My partner and I had done one of those spartan races the day before so we were already reallllly struggling and that was not helping things. Dude never got off the floor for the entire interaction which further increased bizzaro levels.

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
All that I had. My partner and I had done one of those spartan races the day before so we were already reallllly struggling and that was not helping things. Dude never got off the floor for the entire interaction which further increased bizzaro levels.
youre my new hero. Most likely I couldnt stay professional.

Jwan

Just a guy
the super brady/sinus arrest call you posted the strip of.

Gotcha sorry just woke up and got on shift, it actually was very boring after that, pt stated she did not want chest compressions or intubation, this strip came when she was already in hospital, transferred to ICU and she passed a few hours later.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll tell you what though, as morbid as it sounds, watching a failing heart on the monitor has been one of the most intriguing experiences in the ED, and got me interested in electrophysiology. Hoping to do some more studying this summer and pick myself up on EKGs a bit after finals. We were holding patients in the ED due to a full house up stairs, so one of our crash rooms was occupied by a terminally ill geriatric patient that was essentially brought to us to die. I checked her monitor every 10-15 minutes as I could, watching her go in and out of idiopathic until it stuck and got slower and slower. It is just absolutely mind blowing that the physics can be measured, and you can explain what is happening and where with that measurement.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I'll tell you what though, as morbid as it sounds, watching a failing heart on the monitor has been one of the most intriguing experiences in the ED, and got me interested in electrophysiology. Hoping to do some more studying this summer and pick myself up on EKGs a bit after finals. We were holding patients in the ED due to a full house up stairs, so one of our crash rooms was occupied by a terminally ill geriatric patient that was essentially brought to us to die. I checked her monitor every 10-15 minutes as I could, watching her go in and out of idiopathic until it stuck and got slower and slower. It is just absolutely mind blowing that the physics can be measured, and you can explain what is happening and where with that measurement.
I watched a living heart go into ventricular fibrillation during a donor organ harvest operation years ago. The chest was cracked open but the heart itself wasn't deemed suitable for donation, so I saw VF on the monitor for the first time at the same time I actually saw the heart itself stop contracting in an organized manner.

Honestly, it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen in medicine and a major reason I'm a paramedic today. I was a senior in HS at the time and knew at that moment that I definitely wanted to work in the medical field.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
"Explosive diarrhea" after drinking the laxatives in preparation for a colonoscopy the following morning. Wanted us to "make it stop".

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Single vehicle roll on its side at around 50mph. non injury.

YoungMedic

Forum Probie
Diabetic problem, RP told dispatch that we could cancel and he was feeling better (enroute). I ended up convincing crew to go anyways. (Have ran on this pt before) Checked him out, he was fine. Last time i gave him D50.

emsdave

Forum Probie
Syncope...that happened 3 days prior yes please call me out at 230 am to tell me you THINK you fainted but I might have had the typical "few beers" 3 days ago.