Do you keep your own personal jump bag

Tk11

Forum Captain
I'm curious, during my emt course my instructor told us "you all should have your own jump bag with basic stuff in it and keep it in your trunk or car, I have one myself, you don't know what you may run into." I was curious how many of you in ems actually do this?

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Most people on this forum are strict minimalists, and don't believe in carrying much (if anything at all) off duty.

I do not have a jump bag in my car because I have a cell phone which I can use to call 911. I do however carry gloves in my car.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I have a simple first aid kit in my truck that I bought from Walmart and that's only for personal use. I have a cell phone and am usually able to remember the number for 911 if needed.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Yes, but no. I have a basic BLS bag that I keep in my off-roader (which is currently puking coolant all over the garage floor from some unknown, but knowingly expensive, part of the motor) for wheeling or desert shooting trips.

In my DD, I have an N95 mask in my center console that I got from a fit test and use in my buddies shop when he's grinding metal and maybe some gloves in the glove box.

The most "basicing" I've done off duty was when a buddy of mine walked through a floor to ceiling glass window at a party. The Brawny paper towel man took care of that until an ambulance arrived.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
It really depends on where you live/what you do. If you live in a very rural community and are involved with the system in that area (career or volunteer) I could see it being of benefit if you have money burning a hole in your pocket. However, if you are in a high population density in the US, a cell phone will be more than sufficient.

TF Medic

Forum Crew Member
Some here think it's a badge of honor not to help people when they don't have to, and I think some of that is pretty backwards. My accountant friend answers tax questions over burgers and beers, and my mechanic friend will diagnose car problems. You can help with what you know how to do too.

Putting yourself in danger by trying to work an MVA you witnessed might be over the top, but you can probably help the nieces and nephews at the family reunion when they crash their bikes.

I have a basic kit that I have used a few times, all friends/family type stuff. But if you witness a bus full of kids get tboned by a car at an intersection and refuse to stop because you aren't on the clock, well...your moral compass is clearly set differently than mine.

Just one opinion.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I have a simple first aid kit in my truck that I bought from Walmart and that's only for personal use. I have a cell phone and am usually able to remember the number for 911 if needed.

Same here. Unless on duty and in uniform all I do is call 911 and keep driving.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll leave my Army issued IFAK in my backseat but only because I tend to leave the rest of my LBV there in between my monthly drills lol

kirky kirk

RN, EMT-B
I have a basic trauma kit that I carry everywhere I go.

TF Medic

Forum Crew Member
Get real dude. Without transportation to the hospital you are useless 99.9% of the time.

Take things to the extreme much?

I'm talking about bandaids, some gauze and maybe a cravat dude, not C Collars, IV's and Lifepaks.

A few weeks back a buddy shredded his hands when an extension ladder collapsed and he was leaking all over the place. Kerlix and a ride to the urgent care saved him hundreds of dollars. Should I have said "Tough ****, figure it out. I'm not in uniform." ?

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
My old role had me carry a personal EMS kit. I got to keep it as a benefit of the position even after I am no longer in that role.

So it sits in the trunk of my car without much purpose. Occasionally I use a band aid from it when I get a paper cut.

If I happened upon a trauma, and in the unlikely event that the scene was safe for a lay responder, I guess it would be very helpful.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Get real dude. Without transportation to the hospital you are useless 99.9% of the time.

I'm talking about bandaids, some gauze and maybe a cravat dude, not C Collars, IV's and Lifepaks.

A few weeks back a buddy shredded his hands when an extension ladder collapsed and he was leaking all over the place. Kerlix and a ride to the urgent care saved him hundreds of dollars. Should I have said "Tough ****, figure it out. I'm not in uniform." ?

That's a friend and you were already there...different then what we were talking about

TF Medic

Forum Crew Member
That's a friend and you were already there...different then what we were talking about
Who is "we"? You hadn't posted in this thread until your reply to me.

...and nobody was advocating stopping at scenes and playing ricky rescue, except for maybe some specific instances. In fact, my post specifically mentioned the stuff I have is for friends and family. Did you even read it before giving a smartass reply?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Some here think it's a badge of honor not to help people when they don't have to, and I think some of that is pretty backwards

That was me thinking you were talking about random BS on the side of the road...move on bud its ok

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I have a first aid kit. I have it because I'm kinda clumsy and I have two kids who inherited my kinda clumsiness. The fanciest thing in my first aid kit is a SAM splint (that I bought myself off Amazon, NOT acquired via sticky fingers at work). Because if one of my kids (or me) sprains an ankle it would be nice to have. Like when my 9 year old jumped out of a tree last summer (not kidding). I'll help out friends/family best I can, but I'm not going to carry a "jump kit" with the intention of "responding" in my off time.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief

So...if you weren't there, what? Someone would have called 911? He would have bled to death? Nobody would have been able to figure out a way to stop the bleeding? I guess I'm just not seeing how this really matters or is germain.

Helping someone out in a situation like that is very different from carrying a kit around with you because "you never know." Carrying around a basic first aid kit in the trunk isn't a bad idea and very different from carrying a kit stocked so that you can help in your capacity as an EMT/paramedic.

One does not equal the other.

TF Medic

Forum Crew Member
So...if you weren't there, what? Someone would have called 911? He would have bled to death? Nobody would have been able to figure out a way to stop the bleeding? I guess I'm just not seeing how this really matters or is germain.

Helping someone out in a situation like that is very different from carrying a kit around with you because "you never know." Carrying around a basic first aid kit in the trunk isn't a bad idea and very different from carrying a kit stocked so that you can help in your capacity as an EMT/paramedic.

One does not equal the other.

Obviously somebody else would have figured something else out. The OP asked who carried equipment in their POV and a number of the members here answered yes but only some basic first aid supplies. I'm not seeing your point?

Nobody is advocating stocking your POV with multiple sizes of collars and IV supplies, so maybe that answers the OP's question...

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Obviously somebody else would have figured something else out. The OP asked who carried equipment in their POV and a number of the members here answered yes but only some basic first aid supplies. I'm not seeing your point?

Nobody is advocating stocking your POV with multiple sizes of collars and IV supplies, so maybe that answers the OP's question...
It was saying this: Some here think it's a badge of honor not to help people when they don't have to, and I think some of that is pretty backwards. My accountant friend answers tax questions over burgers and beers, and my mechanic friend will diagnose car problems. You can help with what you know how to do too. Given the context of the OP's question, you make it sound as if, if you don't stop and help each and every time to offer help as an EMT or paramedic you are doing something wrong.

If that wasn't the case, great.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Some here think it's a badge of honor not to help people when they don't have to, and I think some of that is pretty backwards. My accountant friend answers tax questions over burgers and beers, and my mechanic friend will diagnose car problems. You can help with what you know how to do too.

I don't need a personal jump kit (you know, what's referenced in the thread title), do any of that.

Nor do I need anything in my car to make a difference on a school bus wreck besides a pair of gloves and a cell phone.