COVID VACCINE - The Megathread

Would you get the Pfizer vaccine if it were available to you?

• Total voters

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
What really gets me with all these protests is that COVID is the lading cause of LODD for the last 2 years. Project 100 is and should be a point of emphasis for LE yet COVID alone took 200 per year. I still have officers on every call not even wearing a simple mask, let alone an N95.

As there isnt a ton of evidence for routine 3rd shots, my hospital system has yet to make any mention of requiring it, though it is available and you can mix if desired.
It was easier for me to understand concerns about the vaccine before so many people survived their vaccinations. In the absence of data that indicate significant probabilities of vaccine-related death and disability, particularly when compared to COVID-related death and disability, I think mask and vaccine avoidance is driven mostly by a dislike of being told what to do.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm probably not going to get the booster... at least not yet. I'm not in a high risk category, I don't work full time in healthcare (anymore), and I'm not sure where the line will end (will this be an every 3 month requirement? every 6 month? annually, like the flu shot? idk).

And should I discuss my primary care provider, and they recommend that I get it, than that might change: but that's no one's business. And lets not forget, even if you are vaccinated, you can still get covid, still need to wear a mask, still need to socially distance, etc, so the effectiveness of the vaccine is questionable (but I do acknowledge that it makes your infection time much less sucky and life threatening if you are vaccinated).

As I mentioned previously, whether or not a person is vaccinated in their business, and I don't agree with terminating someone's employment based on their medical decisions. And if you contract covid, and chose not to get vaccinated... well, my sympathy levels decrease significantly. But as a provider, I will still treat your medical complaints to the best of my abilities, regardless of vaccination status.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Nothing like abusing emergency authority to implement a vaccine mandate.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You’ll have to provide some specifics here.
Other than the fact this rule was implemented under the Emergency Temporary Standard instead of the actual rule making process detailed in the Administrative Procedures Act...or better yet passing an actual law? We're over two years into Covid, and almost a year into this presidency...meaning there has been plenty of time to implement this mandate in a way that doesn't reek of abuse of executive branch power.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Other than the fact this rule was implemented under the Emergency Temporary Standard instead of the actual rule making process detailed in the Administrative Procedures Act...or better yet passing an actual law? We're over two years into Covid, and almost a year into this presidency...meaning there has been plenty of time to implement this mandate in a way that doesn't reek of abuse of executive branch power.
I do not agree with this assessment at all. There is still very much a crisis occurring, the situation in Colorado is worse than has been yet.

I do medicine, not politics. God forbid we talk about how this might implicate medicine, or how it affects the providers that are still dealing with this nearly two years later.

Many places are at a breaking point and yet where are the solutions from those that oppose such mandates? Provide a compelling solution and not just a denial.

Summit

Critical Crazy
CO rural hospitals full of sick patients are transferring their additional ICU patients to even smaller rural hospitals because the tertiary care ICUs are full. And then when these transfers deteriorate they are crash intubating and cancelling the helicopter in flight because there is no destination bed for the helo to fly to. Tertiary hospitals are cancelling procedures and double bunking ICUs. o_O:(:mad:😓

84% of our COVID hospital patients are unvaccinated while only 21% of 12+ are fully unvaccinated in CO. We are literally waiting for those 21% to get a vaccine or get infected, but they are getting infected too quickly.

Transmission rates and severe susceptibility rates have to drop!

We can mandate vaccines
OR
We can go back to mandating masks and social distancing and business restrictions and cancelling elective procedures and other highly economic detrimental measures
OR
We can let people die because we don't have a bed for the stroke patient and the ER is on divert so keep driving with that STEMI or have bad outcomes by rationing care

All choices suck. Mandating vaccines sucks the least.

Last edited:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I do not agree with this assessment at all. There is still very much a crisis occurring, the situation in Colorado is worse than has been yet.

I do medicine, not politics. God forbid we talk about how this might implicate medicine, or how it affects the providers that are still dealing with this nearly two years later.

Many places are at a breaking point and yet where are the solutions from those that oppose such mandates? Provide a compelling solution and not just a denial.
Explain to me why this is an emergency that couldn't be handled by the normal rule making process anytime in the past two years. It isn't necessarily the mandate I am opposed to, but the process by which it was implemented. The means are just as important as the ends...or at least they're supposed to be in our society.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Explain to me why this is an emergency that couldn't be handled by the normal rule making process anytime in the past two years. It isn't necessarily the mandate I am opposed to, but the process by which it was implemented. The means are just as important as the ends...or at least they're supposed to be in our society.
I'm not so sure about your last sentence. I've never worked anywhere where the means were as important as the end. We didn't ignore the means, but results were pretty much always more important than how we got there. I'm talking about several industries, not just EMS.

If you're okay with the mandate to require vaccination during a public health emergency, why is it a problem for an executive order to be the way that happens? I mean, individuals in our society take unilateral action affecting others all the time. If the president makes a decision, and the decision makes sense to you, I don't see a critical issue.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Explain to me why this is an emergency that couldn't be handled by the normal rule making process anytime in the past two years.
2 Years? We have not been giving vaccine for even 1 year and uptake rates only started stagnating about 4 months ago while Delta prevalence took over only 3 months ago along with the start of the current wave that we hoped to avoid by having everyone get vaccinated. The intent for a vaccine mandate was announced 2 months ago.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
This has been a rapidly evolving and difficult to quantify situation. Additionally, there is so much derision towards the scientific community from members of elected government at all levels that I don't see how any sort of "normal" process would work. Not everyone's opinion matters, nor are they valid.

Also I could not disagree more with the last sentence. The means need to be accounted for to ensure that they do not cause undue and unnecessary harm, but insisting everyone be ok with them is akin to stalling.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Never happen...this is a discussion, nothing more.
Wow, you really are the forum VP, lol.

Anyhow I agree with the comment @Tigger made, I don’t do politics, I do medicine. And I certainly don’t care to mix the two. Just my stance.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Wow, you really are the forum VP, lol.

Anyhow I agree with the comment @Tigger made, I don’t do politics, I do medicine. And I certainly don’t care to mix the two. Just my stance.
Unfortunately, COVID is a political as well as medical issue. It would be nice if it was strictly medical, but that is not the world we live in.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Unfortunately, COVID is a political as well as medical issue. It would be nice if it was strictly medical, but that is not the world we live in.
Agree to disagree. There’s always a choice to engage or disengage if nothing more than for one’s own simple sanity.

Am I saying that these issues aren’t very real and extremely visceral for some people? Absolutely not.

What I am saying is if I opt not to bring such matters into my own world (life), if you will, I cut out one more frivolous matter...to me.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Got my Pfizer booster yesterday. Received the Moderna vaccine in December 2019 and the booster a breeze in comparison. A headache and lots of fatigue mostly. I have not had COVID to my knowledge.

I was preparing for the worst so immediately went for a big mountain bike just to get some exercise in and also justify being a complete slug for the next 24 hours.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Got my Pfizer booster yesterday. Received the Moderna vaccine in December 2019 and the booster a breeze in comparison. A headache and lots of fatigue mostly. I have not had COVID to my knowledge.

I was preparing for the worst so immediately went for a big mountain bike just to get some exercise in and also justify being a complete slug for the next 24 hours.
If I’m reading right, you cross-pollinated. Which, if this the case, I’m interested to see how this works.

I’d thought about getting the J&J vaxx had the Moderna taken much longer. I have heard pros and cons of doing this.

Also, ditto on the SE being mild and timing my workouts for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If I’m reading right, you cross-pollinated. Which, if this the case, I’m interested to see how this works.

I’d thought about getting the J&J vaxx had the Moderna taken much longer. I have heard pros and cons of doing this.

Also, ditto on the SE being mild and timing my workouts for the same reasons.
Yes. As far as I could tell there isn't really much to say you should or should not stick with the same manufacturer. It was logistically easier to go to the grocery store and get Pfizer the day I got off work. The pharmacist said no issues, and he knows more than me I presume.