Writing reports as paramedic

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Recently I was dropped from my paramedic program after clinicals last month because my instructors felt my reports were not up to standard for paramedics. Though they did help me with some, I leave out a lot of information. At my job, we use computers to do our reports but since the ones for clinicals were handwritten I have difficulty writing everything they want to see.

What's the difference in writing reports as a basic compared to a paramedic? I write everything I can think of, use all the tips they give us, but I my reports still suck. It's difficult to remember everything since there is much more involved especially major codes where I can practice my paramedic skills. I did fine with that at least and got many good calls, which did probably lead me to rush getting them all written before my shift was over. They have to be signed off by whoever we rode with and because of liability, we weren't supposed to stay after our assigned times.

There must be some secret to writing great reports I'm just not getting...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
You write what happaned. No leaving out info

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I would say that there really isn't any secret to writing good reports. Think about a SOAP note and what's essentially needed info for a very basic report, or CHART note. These outline ways to write a report quickly and easily. After you've figured out which way they'd like you to document (or modify one of these to suit), you need to develop a boilerplate script that you simply have to fill in the blanks as you go. Another tip is to write this stuff as you go, if you can. This way you can finish the run, do the verbal report, and head out to write the reports you need to ASAP.

SOAP is:
Subjective - anything anyone tells you that isn't otherwise verifiable
Objective - your physical findings. Write your Head to Toe here.
Assessment - knowing the above, what's your field diagnosis?
Plan - How do you intend to deal with the problem you've found

CHART is:
Chief Complaint - what someone tells you the problem is. Why they called you there.
History - PMHx, Meds, Events leading up to now.
Assessment - How you found the patient, scene description, ABCDE Primary & Your Head to Toe
R (Treatment on scene) - What was done on scene
Transport - what was done en-route.

My program had us write run reports too... in addition to the regular patient care reports. I would write the regular report and as soon as I was done with the PCR, I'd immediately write the basics of the report they wanted me to write for them.

Unfortunately, without seeing your reports and not knowing what they're looking for, I'm just taking a blind stab in the dark about what you need.

What's different about writing ALS reports? Detail and depth. That's it. Nothing more. You should have better assessment skills, have seen things now that are helping you put things together, so get out of the mindset that you're BLS, because that will hold you back. Having a computer to help you with your charting is nice, but you still have to know your pertinent positive and negative findings that lead you down the path to what you determined was wrong.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
There is always a formula for writing, and it's the same with EMS. Just as a formal paragraph requires a topic sentence, supporting details, and a clincher, you need to figure out what is expected in your report, write it down, and do it over and over again.

My company had us use the CHART method (as detailed above by Akulahawk). Still, there was certain language that was expected of me, and I included it in every narrative.

Ours went something like:
B100 dispatched priority 1 to 123 main street with A200 for a female complaining of chest pain. ATF 38 y/o female sitting upright in chair.

(C) Pt complains of _____________.
(H) Pt history and medications, learned by ________, listed below. Additionally, ______________________
(A) SAMPLE OPQRST noted here.
(R) Pt. positioned in position of comfort. O2 via NRB @ 2 LPM. (etc.)
(T) Pt moved to stretcher via sheet drag from bed. Pt secured with straps X3, rails raised. Pt secured in ambulance. Patient continue O2 @ 2 LPM via NC. Vitals and condition monitored during transport. Pt transported without incident or change in condition. Pt moved to ______ via ____. Pt belongings bag left _____. Full verbal report given to staff.

That worked at my old gig, but may be entirely inadequate in another service. I'd learn what they expect to you and do it.

Good luck!

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Don't sweat it.
Just adapt to whatever your school or employer want you to say.

EMS in general has a wacky approach to charting.

OP
OP
TechMedic

TechMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I know about soap and chart and I use them but there is always something that I overlooked
You write what happaned. No leaving out info

It's not on purpose, it's just things I didn't think about putting in for one reason or another

Don't sweat it.
Just adapt to whatever your school or employer want you to say.

EMS in general has a wacky approach to charting.
My reports at work have never been brought up to me so I guess I'm doing those right but even after trying every method and even having an instructor proof read them, I just can't get the hang of what they expect to see in reports.

I hope to try getting my paramedic at some point but maybe I need more time as a basic before moving on. Frankly it terrifies me to be the paramedic in charge right now since the likelyhood of accidentally killing someone or getting sued is much higher, and I still struggle with all the material. Anytime one of them would quiz me, it's hard for me to answer even if I know it, but not well enough to give a good answer

Anjel

Forum Angel
I know about soap and chart and I use them but there is always something that I overlooked

It's not on purpose, it's just things I didn't think about putting in for one reason or another

My reports at work have never been brought up to me so I guess I'm doing those right but even after trying every method and even having an instructor proof read them, I just can't get the hang of what they expect to see in reports.

I hope to try getting my paramedic at some point but maybe I need more time as a basic before moving on. Frankly it terrifies me to be the paramedic in charge right now since the likelyhood of accidentally killing someone or getting sued is much higher, and I still struggle with all the material. Anytime one of them would quiz me, it's hard for me to answer even if I know it, but not well enough to give a good answer

Maybe this is for the best then. Sounds like you were dropped for more reasons than just report writing. Being a basic should definitely help with that, maybe take some A&P courses, and take the class again with more confidence.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
When I'm writing the hpi section of the CHART method, I pause a second beforehand and the semi-template for that paragraph or two is like this:

Considering the differential diagnosis, I write about the onset and issues contributing to the onset, specific symptoms the patient is complaining of, including pertinent positives and negatives. Things the patient did to treat the issues, responses to those, and how they changed since the onset.

Also remember the OPQRST line of questioning. That can be documented very efficiently in a sentence like "Pt complains of sudden onset of 10/10 crushing chest pain radiating to left arm and jaw while at rest today at 1500."

Another place I commonly see details lacking is in documentation of a full head to toe assessment, review of systems like: HEENT, neuro, chest/cardiovascular, abd, gi/gu, extremities and back.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I think its pretty hard to say whats wrong with your reports without seeing them and watching you practice. I'd seek more feedback from those who have assessed you and found your writing to be lacking.

My two cents on narratives:
-Age, gender, relevant medical social hx, hx of the presenting problem up to the point ambulance was called.
-O/A: A sentence describing the scene where neccessary eg O/A: "Pt laying wedged between toilet and sink having apparently fallen from sink top".
-O/E: The subjective symptoms or complaints and pertinent negatives. Eg: "Pt c/o SOB, dizziness. Nil chest pain/discomfort, palpitations, nausea". Then the objective results of my exam and pertinent negatives, often broken down roughly (not too formal or strict about the categories) into systems or areas of assessment. Eg ABDO: Soft and pain free on palpation, nil masses, guarding, rigidity or distension. GI: Reports single vomit, of food only, nil haematemesis, melena, blood in stool, bowel movements as normal.
-Provisional diagnosis and maybe a little justification unless its pretty obvious. "Proceeded as anaphylaxis" or "Dx: ?LRTI"
-Treatments and response. "Pain easily controlled with morphine, pt becomes nauseated approx 5 mins after morphine admin, single vomit of food only, nausea and vomiting resolves after metoclopramide, transport otherwise uneventful."

Usually no longer than a short paragraph, approx quarter of a page. The details (like drug dosages and times, vitals etc) are elsewhere on our sheets.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
For what it's worth, here's a typical chart that I write. We chart history, meds, vitals and such in a timeline...but this is a typical narrative.

Medic XXX and ambulance XX responded with lights and sirens (6-delta-4) to an 84-year-old male at a private residence complaining of left leg pain and swelling and increased shortness of breath. Patients wife related that the patient has had increased swelling in his left leg and has had difficulty in getting out of bed for the past four days. She relates his balance is off, he seems a bit lethargic and his breathing is more labored than usual. Patient relates that his left leg is causing him extreme pain whenever it is moved. Aside from the leg pain, the patient has no real complaint. The patient denied chest pain, difficulty in breathing, abdominal pain or discomfort, changes in movement or sensation aside from his left leg, headache, blurred vision or any other pain or discomfort. The patient relates he uses 2-4 lpm of oxygen at home PRN and has been using it more than usual. The patient's medical history and medication list is detailed below.

On my arrival I found an obese 85-year-old male lying supine in bed. The patient was extremely warm to the touch. He was conscious, alert and oriented 3/3 and was able to answer all questions appropriately. Examination revealed both of his lower extremities had +3 edema and discoloration. His wife related that the discoloration was normal but his left leg was significantly more swollen than usual. The patient was nonambulatory and was not able to stand and pivot or move from his bed without the assistance of four EMS providers. Further assessment is detailed below.

Prior to moving the patient he was transferred to 4 L per minute on EMS oxygen, with nasal prongs to measure end tidal CO2. It was noted the patient had a respiratory rate of 24 with an unobstructed end tidal wave form of 34. The patient had a ventricular demand pacer at a rate of approximately 80. Initial blood pressure 128/62. A stick on temporal temperature strip read approximately 100°. The patient was moved from the residence via a stair chair and then to the stretcher. IV access was obtained in the left AC with a 20 gauge catheter. A serum lactate was obtained and read 3.3 mmol/L. Phlebotomy samples were drawn. Patient received approximately 500 ml of normal saline while en route. 12 lead EKG was captured, showing a paced rhythm. Medical control with Hospital was established via radio, advised ETA and status of patient as priority three.

On arrival at Hospital the patient was moved to bed 19 and a verbal report, blood samples and the patient's medication list were all given to the RN at bedside

mike1390

Forum Captain
For what it's worth, here's a typical chart that I write. We chart history, meds, vitals and such in a timeline...but this is a typical narrative.

Medic XXX and ambulance XX responded with lights and sirens (6-delta-4) to an 84-year-old male at a private residence complaining of left leg pain and swelling and increased shortness of breath. Patients wife related that the patient has had increased swelling in his left leg and has had difficulty in getting out of bed for the past four days. She relates his balance is off, he seems a bit lethargic and his breathing is more labored than usual. Patient relates that his left leg is causing him extreme pain whenever it is moved. Aside from the leg pain, the patient has no real complaint. The patient denied chest pain, difficulty in breathing, abdominal pain or discomfort, changes in movement or sensation aside from his left leg, headache, blurred vision or any other pain or discomfort. The patient relates he uses 2-4 lpm of oxygen at home PRN and has been using it more than usual. The patient's medical history and medication list is detailed below.

On my arrival I found an obese 85-year-old male lying supine in bed. The patient was extremely warm to the touch. He was conscious, alert and oriented 3/3 and was able to answer all questions appropriately. Examination revealed both of his lower extremities had +3 edema and discoloration. His wife related that the discoloration was normal but his left leg was significantly more swollen than usual. The patient was nonambulatory and was not able to stand and pivot or move from his bed without the assistance of four EMS providers. Further assessment is detailed below.

Prior to moving the patient he was transferred to 4 L per minute on EMS oxygen, with nasal prongs to measure end tidal CO2. It was noted the patient had a respiratory rate of 24 with an unobstructed end tidal wave form of 34. The patient had a ventricular demand pacer at a rate of approximately 80. Initial blood pressure 128/62. A stick on temporal temperature strip read approximately 100°. The patient was moved from the residence via a stair chair and then to the stretcher. IV access was obtained in the left AC with a 20 gauge catheter. A serum lactate was obtained and read 3.3 mmol/L. Phlebotomy samples were drawn. Patient received approximately 500 ml of normal saline while en route. 12 lead EKG was captured, showing a paced rhythm. Medical control with Hospital was established via radio, advised ETA and status of patient as priority three.

On arrival at Hospital the patient was moved to bed 19 and a verbal report, blood samples and the patient's medication list were all given to the RN at bedside

This... I use a tad more abbreviations, but as long as all the info gets across this would cover it.

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Thats well done sir.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader

Medic XXX and ambulance XX responded with lights and sirens (6-delta-4) to an 84-year-old male at a private residence complaining of left leg pain and swelling and increased shortness of breath. Patients wife related that the patient has had increased swelling in his left leg and has had difficulty in getting out of bed for the past four days. She relates his balance is off, he seems a bit lethargic and his breathing is more labored than usual. Patient relates that his left leg is causing him extreme pain whenever it is moved. Aside from the leg pain, the patient denies any other complaints. The patient denied chest pain, difficulty in breathing, abdominal pain or discomfort, changes in movement or sensation aside from his left leg, headache, blurred vision or any other pain or discomfort. The patient relates he uses 2-4 lpm of oxygen at home PRN and has been using it more than usual. The patient's medical history and medication list is detailed below.

On my arrival I found an obese 85-year-old male lying supine in bed. The patient was extremely warm to the touch. He was conscious, alert and oriented to person, place, event and was able to answer all questions appropriately. Examination revealed both of his lower extremities had +3 edema and discoloration. Pedal pulses were ____, able to move extremities with assistance only, denies any numbness/paresthesia to bilat lower extremites. Homan's Sign negative LLE. His wife related that the discoloration was normal but his left leg was significantly more swollen than usual. The patient was nonambulatory and was not able to stand and pivot or move from his bed without the assistance of four EMS providers. Further assessment is detailed below.

Prior to moving the patient he was transferred to 4 L per minute on EMS oxygen, with nasal prongs to measure end tidal CO2. It was noted the patient had a respiratory rate of 24 with an unobstructed end tidal wave form of 34. The patient had a ventricular demand pacer at a rate of approximately 80. Initial blood pressure 128/62. A stick on temporal temperature strip read approximately 100°. The patient was moved from the residence via a stair chair and then to the stretcher. IV access was obtained in the left AC with a 20 gauge catheter. A serum lactate was obtained and read 3.3 mmol/L. Phlebotomy samples were drawn. Patient received approximately 500 ml of normal saline while en route. 12 lead EKG was captured, showing a paced rhythm at 78 BPM. Medical control with Hospital was established via radio, advised ETA and status of patient as priority three. No changes noted in status while en-route.

As others have said, that's pretty good. I might add or change a couple things to the above, in red... for clarity. To the OP, you want to be able to show what findings led you to the field diagnosis. Why was this probably not DVT and more likely a cellulitis with sepsis...

Writing down why you chose that over something else meant that you considered positive and negative findings and also you have documented that. You're more likely to have a better report by simply doing that. Later, when you're at home, you could look up the problem and learn why that problem occurs. The more often you do that, you're more likely to pick up on those things again in the future and document those findings. If you have time before you can restart the program, I strongly recommend you take an A&P course, at the minimum.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I use the VOMIT method.

I give a quick run down on how I found them (helps me remember what the heck the call was even about later) and what they complained of. Throw in pertinent positives and negatives.

V Vitals

O Oxygen

M Monitor

I IV

T Treatment/Transport

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Something we all forgot to add/expand upon is that the amount we write and style we use is often directly related to the amount of space available (and format) of the patient care report.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Something we all forgot to add/expand upon is that the amount we write and style we use is often directly related to the amount of space available (and format) of the patient care report.

True.

The majority of writing a chart for me is selecting drop-down menus and clicking bubbles with the occasional quick note in a comment section.

At the end I generate a narrative that pulls everything I selected into the narrative section and I have to do a quick subjective section, response to treatment/changes en route section, sign it, Bluetooth an ECG and boom goes the dynamite.

I guess for the point of this thread it is formatted in a SOAP format.

Wes

Forum Lieutenant
Obviously, you have to do whatever your educational program or employer want, but here's my $0.03 (adjusted for inflation, ya know).

With electronic charting becoming more and more prevalent and capturing the majority of your interventions and assesment findings, I find that a straight narrative works quite well. In other words, start at the dispatch and tell a chronological story. Don't worry about SOAP/CHART/etc. Tell a chronological story and you'll capture the details. This is how the cops write their reports. They write their reports like every report they write will be going to court -- because many of their reports do.

As Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts, ma'am."

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
I use JPVINE's format now that I am on EPCR, formerly a very short 4 sentence that fit on the one page carbon copy LA county PCR. many of my partners make comments about how long my narratives are but once you have the format memorized it is very fast. my narratives are about one page of 12pt times new roman.

if you want a great article on how to write a long chart check out JPs blog below and read the whole series on his Pre-SOAPeD narrative. is basically SOAP with the pre-arrival (dispatch info) and Delta (Changes) on the end.

http://emtmedicalstudent.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/ems-documentation-introducing-pre-soaped/

Jason

Medic
At our squad and the whole county, we use the Field Bridge program for information input and report charting. I was taught to also use the CHART method. Conveniently under our Narrative tab, the Set Narrative sets up our narrative in CHART format automatically and auto-populates info into each section.
However, with or without computer charting programs - it's so important to know what to report and how.
I don't know how long you've been an EMT Basic, but what is needed to report as a paramedic is more in-depth.
Best of luck to you.