would you backboard a patient punched in the head?

chri1017

Forum Probie
Say you had a pt who was punched in the head. The patient has some swelling and a minor contusion. Pt denies any loc, nausea, dizziness and neck/ back pain. Who would board?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Say you had a pt who was punched in the head. The patient has some swelling and a minor contusion. Pt denies any loc, nausea, dizziness and neck/ back pain. Who would board?

not I

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Negative

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
No sir (or ma'am)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Not even a second thought.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Would not even cross my mind.

JPINFV

Gadfly
To break consensus, I would... if he was hit by Chuck Norris.

Wait... I'm sorry, that would result in injuries incompatible with life so... no.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nope, wouldn't even think about it

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP

No. Why would you want to?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
My reply failed to post.

Work up for cranial injury, r/o cervical complaints, tx per protocol prn.
Does cervical restriction or immobilization help closed head injuries?
Know how to look for early signs of an injured TM joint, basal skull fx, other s/s of TBI.

NOTE: edited five days after posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
No, unless he was punched by Chuck Norris.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
No

And to add, why would you?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

No way would I board. If they fell, it'd be a consideration, if there were, say, LOC or if the injury was reported as being particularly painful. I'd document the pertinent negatives that you mentioned, as well as whether the patient was ambulatory on scene, whether the patient was on anticoagulants and/or platelet aggregation inhibitors, assess neurological function, etc.

But given the scenario you presented, it'd be a mistake to board the patient.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I would definitely board a patient who had taken a punch to the head. I'd also give them 15lpm via NRB and give them lights and sirens to the hospital. It doesn't matter how serious the injury was: they need all 3!

;)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I would definitely board a patient who had taken a punch to the head. I'd also give them 15lpm via NRB and give them lights and sirens to the hospital. It doesn't matter how serious the injury was: they need all 3!

;)

Don't forget the IV for all of them!

Epi-do

I see dead people
And to check their BGL :D

Naturally! You just never know when hypoglycemia is going to cause someone to fall into another person's fist. We might as well get a 12-lead too! (You know, for when the BGL is normal.)