Why isn't this guy running for President or director of Space force

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope. His desires don’t impact anyone nor devalue their contributions.

He puts his pants on one leg at a time. He’s not special. I’ve done more than him in other arenas…as have many on here.

Summit

Critical Crazy

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
A high end guy that comes from a culture that values strong families and virtues like courage and perseverance. Sounds like his advance in the military had nothing to do with his skin color or gender identity but on sheer grit and character. Glad those things still count for something, so guys like him can flourish and serve the country well.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Nope. His desires don’t impact anyone nor devalue their contributions.

He puts his pants on one leg at a time. He’s not special. I’ve done more than him in other arenas…as have many on here.
Lol what.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Kav stated this guy makes every man on the planet feel inadequate.

CCCSD replied...nope, his desires (Johnny Quest) has no impact on us mere mortals, basically refuting Kav's inaccurate assertion.

CCCSD is not wrong. Just cause this man is amazing, is a high achiever, it has little relevance on my own accomplishments or feelings of "am I adequate enough". And yes, there are things I have done this man has not and may possibly not ever do. It does not make one better than the other or less than the other. And saying "well he could do them if he wanted to" is not a valid argument.

So yeh, I agree with CCCSD.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Kav stated this guy makes every man on the planet feel inadequate.

CCCSD replied...nope, his desires (Johnny Quest) has no impact on us mere mortals, basically refuting Kav's inaccurate assertion.

CCCSD is not wrong. Just cause this man is amazing, is a high achiever, it has little relevance on my own accomplishments or feelings of "am I adequate enough". And yes, there are things I have done this man has not and may possibly not ever do. It does not make one better than the other or less than the other. And saying "well he could do them if he wanted to" is not a valid argument.

So yeh, I agree with CCCSD.
I don't feel inadequate either. I think that was hyperbole by the Op.

I was specifically questioning cccsd's assertion, if serious, that he was more accomplished just in other areas. I suspect that this was the same dubious wonder of others.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Bro, this guy makes Brown feel inadequate. I mean, Brown only has three degrees, is regarded as an expert in Brown's field, can spell suxamethonium and can remember the difference between glycolysis, glycogenolysis, and gluconeogenesis 😅

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Bro, this guy makes Brown feel inadequate. I mean, Brown only has three degrees, is regarded as an expert in Brown's field, can spell suxamethonium and can remember the difference between glycolysis, glycogenolysis, and gluconeogenesis 😅

unlike you, his achievements are real.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't feel inadequate either. I think that was hyperbole by the Op.

I was specifically questioning cccsd's assertion, if serious, that he was more accomplished just in other areas. I suspect that this was the same dubious wonder of others.
I am.
He’s never arrested, charged, and gotten a conviction of a murder suspect.
He’s never been by himself searching a darkened building for a shooting suspect with no backup.
He’s never run into a burning structure fire for a rescue.
He’s never done a lot of things…

SEAL? BFD.
MD? Must be nice his family et al funded it.
Astronaut? Yeah. So was Sally Ride, who was a Teacher.
He’s just another privileged MALE who is set on Bragging Condition One.

Ho hum.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Exactly. Everyone achieves different things and just because they may be different or "not typical," that does not mean that person is no better than any other person. Such is the individual nature of life really I suppose. I think society has become too preoccupied with norms and what is "normal" or "typical" or "expected," which creates stereotypes and intense pressure on people to conform.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Norms, stereotypes, pressure -- nothing new. Some folks will adjust better and accomplish more than others. Good for them. We need all the help we can get,

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The idea that we should not celebrate someone for accomplishing several extraordinary, disparate achievements just because someone else did something else that is also impressive is in a word—ludicrous.

I am happy to be good at my job and proud of what I have done. But I’m not going to pretend I’m on equal footing with someone who has done many things that it takes most others a lifetime to achieve.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I am.
He’s never been by himself searching a darkened building for a shooting suspect with no backup.

SEAL? BFD.

Ho hum.
the only person bragging here is you bro.

Not sure why I bother to defend someone who a) does not need it and b) I do not know; But this dude saw plenty of combat and nowhere does it say his journey through medical school was self funded.

Meanwhile we have you, contributing your exploits as a cop somewhere on an EMS forum. Riveting.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I am.

SEAL? BFD.

Ho hum.

While your claims are laudable things, millions of people have done each of those things.

Your specific claim is that you are as accomplished as Dr. Space SEAL, just different.

Over 10,000 US murder convictions per year, each typically involving multiple people who can make the claim they arrested/charged the convict.

There are in the US 700K LEO and over 1M FFs. While there are 1M physicians, the effort and bar to achieve the role is much more demanding for physicians and their duration of service is much much much longer (for many reasons) meaning the number entering the profession each year is much much lower and vastly more selective and arduous as MDs spend more time just becoming an MD than the average LEO/F/EMS spend working in the career field. How he paid for school is a cheap shot and completely irrelevant.

SEALs there are less than 3000. The training pipeline completion for those who qualify is <10%. SEALs typically see far more dangerous combat situations than police.

There are 48 US active astronauts. Candidate classes are ~12 per year.

You may be accomplished, but you have not demonstrated that you are "as or more accomplished, just different." You are however, either trolling us, or blatantly manifesting defensiveness to cover for your apparent feelings of inadequacy.

Last edited:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it's all relative really mate. So this bloke is an astronaut, and a doc, and some military super fella. Good for him. Those are all notable achievements. Well, who'd want to be a doc, jeez, no thanks. Everyone else achieves things which may, to them or their family or community or part of society, mean just as much as being an astronaut or a doc. I do not think just because someone else's achievements are not on the same level of "coolness" or glory or money or whatever, doesn't make them less worthy or valid or "as good."

Some dude who is half crippled in a truck and trailer wreck and spends months in rehabilitation learning to walk again so he can go back to his job as the mailman or working at Countdown or whatever, although these end-points are nowhere near as "flash" a being an astronaut or a doc, doesn't mean they, for him or his family or whatever, just as good.

I really do think modern society has a severe "you aren't as accomplished because ......" problem. No, seriously. I am feeling it nearing middle age who does not own property because prices are too extreme and I could never afford to pay the mortgage. Those of us in this boat cannot help but some sense of inadequacy or "not good enoughness" because of how we have been conditioned by society.

And besides, he probably has to poo in a vacuum bag .... no thanks 😅

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm gonna say I agree this guy has racked up a very impressive list of accomplishments and is far more deserving of praise and fans than most celebrities or politicians people tend to worship instead. If he ever does run for President he has my vote

At the same time his successes do not drag me down or make me feel any particularly inferior. Sure his bragging rights are more than mine, but I have mine and my accomplishments in the fire service don't drag him down.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm gonna say I agree this guy ... far more deserving of praise and fans than most celebrities or politicians people tend to worship instead. If he ever does run for President he has my vote

Preach it bro. Bloody clown pols. My old mate who was a doc used to lament them for meddling in the health system and how the root problems he saw as a doc were all as the result of it, yet, he was basically powerless to change it. What can I say, I am basically in the same position. And this is with the cavaet that our pols are far milder.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I am.
wow, so he's never been a cop... or firefighter... BFD, especially when you think about how many cops and firefighters there are in the US.
SEAL? BFD.

Ho hum.
Dude was a SEAL... that's not an easy task to accomplish. Not only that, but he earned a Silver Star, a Bronze Star with Combat “V” and completed more than 100 combat missions in Iraq... so it's not like he was just a paper pusher.
Dude graduated Harvard medical school, and is a practicing physician.... that's not an easy task.
Dude has been in space... how many people can say the same? I know I can't.

Put all of those things together, and he's impressive... and he's done impressive stuff. it's ok to admit that. BTW, I bet if he did decide to become a firefighter or a cop, he would excel at that too.

OP
OP
Kavsuvb

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Their's even a podcast Interview with Jonny Kim on the Jocko Podcast show and it's an eye opener about him