Whole class relied on a test.

TFtruck1

Forum Ride Along
Ok so I live in PA. I took a EMS class that started in November and ended last week. The class was longer then any other class since this one allows you to take in during my highschool hours. I took the whole class did very well but then the unreal happened. The teacher made us take a mid term and a final. I passed the mid term. The Final I unfortunately failed. So I was not allowed to go to states. Is this allowed. I mean I took the whole class I worked really hard during this whole thing (and passed the class). The final I seriously studied the week before non stop. I have never been good at tests. So this completely tore me apart and im still in shock. Did everyone have a final test in there classes that they had to pass the first time and if you didn't you weren't allowed to go to states? Thanks for your time.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Why should you pass the class if you fail the test that quizzes you on your cumulative knowledge?

My EMT school required a 75% on all test, and a 78% on the final in order to pass the class. If you get 100% on all test, but a 76% on the final, you fail. Paramedic-- maintain a 78% in the class, and get 80% on the final. Fail the final, you fail the class.

Thats how it should be.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Strange. The majority of the courses in my undergrad and graduate academic career had 2-3 exams with the grade determined only on the exams. Welcome to the big leagues.

OP
OP
T

TFtruck1

Forum Ride Along
I did keep that on my quizzes. "Why should you pass the class if you fail the test that quizzes you on your cumulative knowledge?"
Because the state you can fail as many times as you want. I know my stuff I blew through all my practicals. I am horrible on any huge test I don't know why but its how I am. My question was answered that's all I wanted out of this Thread.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Okay, let me make sure I understand this.

You failed the final exam in a class that is a pre-requisite for you to go and take the state exam for EMT. Not to sound harsh, but if you don't take exams well, what makes you think the state exam is going to be any different? Just because you can take the state test as many times as you want does not mean you should. Seriously, how many times should you be allowed to take the test before you've proven you don't know the material and have to take the class again?

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
I am horrible on any huge test I don't know why but its how I am.

well then it looks like you have something to work towards. unfortunately for you, the world is full of huge tests. not to sound mean, but thats just the way it is. i don't know if it is the pressure that gets to you or something else, but try to single out what is causing it so you can work on it.

just to add another answer, my class was similar to the other responses. you needed to pass the class overall(like a 70 or 75), and get at least a 75ish on the test(don't remember the exact number). the instructor told some horror story of someone who went into the final with a high A and got like a 74 on the final. had to retake the whole class. not sure if he was just trying to scare people or what, but i guess it does happen. work on those test taking skills.

just for the record, yes i think it is fair.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The EMS dept that I'm doing paramedic school with has the rule that if you don't get a 70 on the final (or an 80 in some classes) you will not pass the class, no matter what your grade averages out to. I think it's perfectly fair. If you can't be relied on to pass a major test, whats to say you wont completely freeze up in the field with a critical patient?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, they can do this to you. In fact, every type of medical education will require you to pass the final with a certain score regardless of what you got in the class.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
On the most general level, having taught high school classes, and having taught with teachers who currently teach high school classes, a student that fails the final exam may end up failing a course all together.

It is extraordinarily common for EMS programs to require you to pass a final exam in order to pass the program and take a state or national exam. It is common in college, and it is common in many professional fields. It's rough that you didn't pass the test, but I'd focus on what you can do better the second time around or what you need to do in order to take the test again.

Being an EMT isn't about the certificate or the title, it's about the learning and growth you experience through the education process and beyond. You'll be a stronger EMT if you learn from this experience and do better the second time around.

Good luck!

Sasha

Forum Chief
It's totally allowed and how all classes should be. If you did so well on all your other tests, you should have passed the final, no? What is a final but a review of all your past tests? Did you cram, memorize the night before but not LEARN the material?

I often find people who claim to be bad test takers are those who really don't know the material. If you know the stuff, you know the stuff, shouldn't matter if it's on a piece of paper or on the street.

If you can't pass the final, what makes you think the state will be any different?? In a way, they are saving you the fee by not allowing you to test, you should be thanking them.

Welcome to being an adult, better luck next time.

Buzz

Forum Captain
What is a final but a review of all your past tests?

That is not always the case. For example, the class I took gave quizzes after every chapter, using the quizzes provided. Our final exam for the class, however, was something more like the national registry exam in the way the questions were worded. We were warned ahead of time of the change in format, but it was still more difficult for a lot of people. Many from our class that were doing quite well ended up not making the cut.

Sasha

Forum Chief
That is not always the case. For example, the class I took gave quizzes after every chapter, using the quizzes provided. Our final exam for the class, however, was something more like the national registry exam in the way the questions were worded. We were warned ahead of time of the change in format, but it was still more difficult for a lot of people. Many from our class that were doing quite well ended up not making the cut.

The format may be different, but isn't the information all the same?? They're not pulling out information that you hadn't learned and wasn't in the book. That's what I meant. If you really know it, it shouldn't matter what format thw question is in, the answer would be the same regardless. I would hope that those interested in a career in EMS would be smart enough to do well regardless of question format.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Ok so I live in PA. I took a EMS class that started in November and ended last week. The class was longer then any other class since this one allows you to take in during my highschool hours. I took the whole class did very well but then the unreal happened. The teacher made us take a mid term and a final. I passed the mid term. The Final I unfortunately failed. So I was not allowed to go to states. Is this allowed. I mean I took the whole class I worked really hard during this whole thing (and passed the class). The final I seriously studied the week before non stop. I have never been good at tests. So this completely tore me apart and im still in shock. Did everyone have a final test in there classes that they had to pass the first time and if you didn't you weren't allowed to go to states? Thanks for your time.

You're still in high school? Focus on your studies there first...EMS will still be around in a year or two once you're finished there. Most test anxiety comes from not knowing the material well enough. Find your strengths and weaknesses, and hone up on the stuff you need more work on. Budget your time effectively, but don't overdo it.

In answer to your original question - yes, I have had finals for all my classes, all of which needed to be passed to move on to take the state final.

Last edited by a moderator:

cperschke

Forum Probie
The format may be different, but isn't the information all the same?? They're not pulling out information that you hadn't learned and wasn't in the book. That's what I meant. If you really know it, it shouldn't matter what format thw question is in, the answer would be the same regardless. I would hope that those interested in a career in EMS would be smart enough to do well regardless of question format.

I'm not trying to be combative, but I think that's a bit narrow minded. We don't know what format the test was in. I know that I have taken tests on subjects that I know very well and failed because the format was misleading, or the questions were worded improperly.

In general I think if you take the class you should be able to take the state exam. I think It's really the states responsibility to ensure that whatever method they use for certification is effectively testing knowledge.

That being said, I wonder if this class has a high failure rate? It could just be a very bad class? Maybe they make money on repeat customers?

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
I'm not trying to be combative, but I think that's a bit narrow minded. We don't know what format the test was in. I know that I have taken tests on subjects that I know very well and failed because the format was misleading, or the questions were worded improperly.

In general I think if you take the class you should be able to take the state exam. I think It's really the states responsibility to ensure that whatever method they use for certification is effectively testing knowledge.

That being said, I wonder if this class has a high failure rate? It could just be a very bad class? Maybe they make money on repeat customers?

What Sasha is saying is if you have a fundamental understanding of the material, you should pass regardless of its in format A, or format B (eg. fill in the blank vs. multiple choice). There are standards in place that must be met, no matter what way the test is written. Just because the test doesn't give you 3 blatantly wrong answers and one obvious one doesn't mean it's a poorly written test. Yes there are a few questions that may read different than the instructor meant, but I doubt over 30% of the test is written that way.

You're probably right - but it's most likely a bad instructor...not so much a bad class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You're probably right - but it's most likely a bad instructor...not so much a bad class.

Probably both. The instructor probably did not write good test questions to prevent failures in the class, and then the class assumed the test would be similar to what they had seen and was not prepared or studied appropriately.

R/r 911

flhtci01

Forum Captain
When I did Basic, we not only had to pass the class but the final had to be at least an 80%, otherwise we were not allowed to take the NREMT.

So, yes it is allowed.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Have to say it. My EMT-B class was the same way. Had to pass not only the class, but also the final, to be able to take not the state test, but National Registry. Welcome to the real world.