What light do you carry on your belt?

Buzz

Forum Captain
I carry a light about the size of a minimag, but it's got three superbright LEDs.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
I carry a 2-AAA pocket light from Underwater Kinetics. Gives off good light at close range plus also water-proof and shock resistant. Fits in your pocket and light weight.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a small pouch with most of my stuff on it, and has a velcro loop so it's easy to take off during the night shift to sleep. Radio, roll of tape, couple pens, pen light, trauma shears, couple sets of gloves, and a flashlight. Stethoscope around my neck, notepad in my shirt pocket, extra city map in my back pocket. I would much rather be prepared than not, and if that means I made fun of so be it. It doesn't "weigh me down," but apparently I'm not a huge wuss. :p And like I said, it comes off pretty easy and most of the stuff comes in handy at least once a shift. We're a pretty busy service, with a lot of varied calls, so it's this or lug around the jump bag constantly.

On to the original post, I carry a small flashlight, only about three inches long, but it has nine LED's in it. Thing will light up a small room like it's daytime, and make you feel like your eyes are on fire if you point it in the wrong direction.

I also have a keychain link thing to hold my keys with a single LED built into it, so when I'm not on duty I can still put out a spotlight-like beam when I need it.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Nothing. My service has the equipment I need on the ambulance. If out of ambulance what I need is in the jump bag.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
You have two medics same age side by side. One has everything but the kitchen sink attached to their uniform. The other has nothing with them. Which one do you want treating you?

Which is why I said I was the one standing next to the fully stocked guy... :rolleyes:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Which is why I said I was the one standing next to the fully stocked guy... :rolleyes:

LOL. My bad. In my old age I am getting forgetful.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
We keep 1.5 million candlepower spotlights in each truck. They're battery powered so we can walk a while with them if looking for missing people or parts on outdoor scenes. The jump bag has 2 mini-mags in it. My belt is empty except my cell phone and occasionally a radio but I usually don't carry one.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I usually have either a Stinger or a Surefire Lithium-battery powered light with me.... I almost always have it at night.

As for stuff on the belt? I try to keep my belt free. Shears in a thigh pocket, and a flashlight in a coat pocket, at least for winter.

curt

Forum Crew Member
I've got a streamlight. Since it's an LED set (7 bulbs) light, it's not too great at holding the beam together at distance, but it's bright as everything for its size. The handle if flat, so you can grip it easily in your teeth if you absolutely must. Also, it's one of those sealed lights that's designed to never spark or ignite fumes and such. I was going to get a pretty rockin' mag-light, but this one does the job pretty good, so there's no need.

firespec35

Forum Probie
I carry a surefire E2e on my L pocket a Surefire G2 in my backpack and a gander mountain headlamp in my backpack. Use the E2e all the time, G2 is for backup/ partner w/ no light and head lamp is just in case. I have 3 jobs 1 is cushy dispatch gig 1 is special events medical (use light all the time) and I work for a normal company that does 911 for a city encapsulated by Detroit and is one of the worst Ghettos in the area so a lot of homes have no power/ light is safety

MRE

Forum Captain
I carry a Fenix PD30 with me all the time. I also have a Surefire E2E in the pocket of my EMS jumpsuit.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
My hubby has bought me several of varying sizes and prices, but the one I carry on a regular night is a cheapy $10.00 mini-maglight that I bought @ Target. It has a little belt holster and isnt too big or bulky for daily use. The only time I use it is when trying to give dispatch our mileages, the dash light is out on my ambulance. We have several larger ones in the ambulance if needed.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
well, I was going to start a new thread on this exact topic, but i figured might as well just bump the old thread instead.

I recently went from working FT days on the road to FT nights up in dispatch, but I still have been picking up nights 911 shifts at my old job (easier than going from nights to days, much easier on my sleep cycle).

anyways, I have numerous 3 D cell maglights, and swear by them as the best lights out there. however, I need to get a flashlight that has a holster with a secure cover (either velcro or snap, so it doesn't fall out of the holster), and since maglight doesn't make anything like that (and yes, I asked customer service), they are pretty much out of the question.

so here are my requirements: 1) needs to come with or have a holster that is purchasable that has a secure cover 2) needs to have a push button activation (preferably tailcap, but in body works well) 3) water proof/water resistant, and able to be dropped 4) has to be bright.

any suggestions? and if you can include price and a weblink, that would be great.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
... here are my requirements: 1) needs to come with or have a holster that is purchasable that has a secure cover 2) needs to have a push button activation (preferably tailcap, but in body works well) 3) water proof/water resistant, and able to be dropped 4) has to be bright.

any suggestions? and if you can include price and a weblink, that would be great.

Stinger LED. Awesomely bright, small and rechargeable. I didn't carry it on my belt, but it was always within reach.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=123

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
or you could go for the Strion LED, also by streamlight, its what I have. extremely bright(i think like 160 lumens at its brightest if that means anything to you), but small enough for a pocket, which is why i got it instead of the stinger

Simusid

Forum Captain
After a few midnight calls on the highway I discovered that my el cheapo ($4) LED light just would not cut it on the side of the road in pitch darkness. I bought a Fenix PD30.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Don't carry a light. Have yet to have the need for one. I do like these:

E2DLED_45L_large_24531.png

Mainly for the ability to strike someone in the face with it.

(I'm just kidding about that last part :p)

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a Steamlight SL-20X-LED that follows me to work and stays in the truck while I'm on for when I really need some light.

I almost always carry a Steamlight Microstream clipped inside my pocket. They are less than $20 with a metal housing, shorter than a pen, run on a single regular AAA battery, and are plenty bright for almost everything I do, even at night. The only downside is runtime. See www.opticsplanet.net - they are a good source for flashlights at good prices.

opplanet-streamlight-microstream-led-pen-light.jpg

TomInOregon

Forum Ride Along
On my belt is an ElektroLumens EDC-MCE and a Fenix P3D Premium Q5. Clipped to my pocket is a Dereelight CL1H V4 MC-E. At this point, I mostly carry the Fenix just because it's small enough I don't really notice I have it with me. The Elektrolumens is my primary light with the Dereelight as the backup. Either of them can be used as a portable scene light or for searching over the edge of embankments or in the woods/fields. They have been exceedingly useful when responding to homes during power outages as they light the room nearly as well as a light bulb (much better than a Streamlight Lightbox). They are bigger than most people would want to carry, but I don't even notice them anymore. Of course, I'm a flashaholic so I'm somewhat biased.
Like others here. I highly recommend the Fenix PD30 (the current version of the P3D) for most people, as it should be plenty of light for nearly any use and is very small relative to its' output. Alternatively, the Fenix TK20 is also a great light. Slightly larger than a mini-maglite, nearly indestructable, waterproof, uses 2 AA batteries and has a warmer, yellowish beam like an incandescent bulb.

Tom

TomInOregon

Forum Ride Along
well, I was going to start a new thread on this exact topic, but i figured might as well just bump the old thread instead.

I recently went from working FT days on the road to FT nights up in dispatch, but I still have been picking up nights 911 shifts at my old job (easier than going from nights to days, much easier on my sleep cycle).

anyways, I have numerous 3 D cell maglights, and swear by them as the best lights out there. however, I need to get a flashlight that has a holster with a secure cover (either velcro or snap, so it doesn't fall out of the holster), and since maglight doesn't make anything like that (and yes, I asked customer service), they are pretty much out of the question.

so here are my requirements: 1) needs to come with or have a holster that is purchasable that has a secure cover 2) needs to have a push button activation (preferably tailcap, but in body works well) 3) water proof/water resistant, and able to be dropped 4) has to be bright.

What's your budget? If you are happy with Maglites, I would probably recommend a Surefire 6PL or G2L (both of these are the LED model and slightly brighter than a 3D Maglite. If you really like filament bulbs better than LEDs, the 6P or G2 use bulbs and are about the same brightness as a 3D maglite. The beam won't travel quite as far as with your maglites, but I think you will be happy. Surefires are highly recommended and have a reputation for a fantastic lifetime warranty. In fact, right now they are shipping me a new bezel and lens for my 10 year old 6P no questions asked. You can find them at Cabela's or many other places. Google "Surefire 6P" or whichever model you want. The 6P should cost about $65 and the G2 should cost about $35. Prices include a belt holster with velcro flap. These are some of the most popular lights in the world right now because they are reliable and upgradeable. If you want them brighter or a different color or holster, someone out there can make it happen. Downside is they use CR123 batteries which cost ~$1 apiece if you buy in bulk online.

Tom