What light do you carry on your belt?

discworldfan

Forum Ride Along
Besides the usual penlight in your holster or bag - do you carry anything with more ooomph?

I tend to go crazy with flashlights, carrying what amounts to a 'midnight sun' for those times when I need to find someone or something in a hurry.

Here are some of my favs:
A Wolf Eyes Raider in 9v - 220 lumens
6019-l.jpg

A Blackhawk/Night Ops Falcata 9v - around 150 lumens
img-falcata9v.jpg

And an EagleTac - somewhere around 395 lumens
6574-l.jpg

Ooh. Sorry about the pic size.

None of these are longer than 5 or 6 inches; they easily fit into pockets, pouches and such, run on rechargeable batteries and blow the run of the mill maglight out of the water.

Anyone have a favorite?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a 4 D cell maglight, but, it's not on my belt, it's within reach, for those times that we get cars over the side of the freeway, and we're trying to figure out if they hitched a ride or not, and other similar uses.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Nothing on my belt. The service has a light in the bag.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I carry an el-cheapo Mini Mag-Lite. A little 2 cell AA battery job that is attached to my belt in a Velcro pouch.

I usually use it to see the settings on my cameras at night. But, I'm stunned how many medics that I ride with that do not carry a light! Many times I've been on scene in a darkened home and the medics are looking around for extra light. I just pass mine forward.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I've got a 2 cell AA mag-lite w/ LED bulb in my backpack where I can get to it easy

reaper

Working Bum
I carry an el-cheapo Mini Mag-Lite. A little 2 cell AA battery job that is attached to my belt in a Velcro pouch.

I usually use it to see the settings on my cameras at night. But, I'm stunned how many medics that I ride with that do not carry a light! Many times I've been on scene in a darkened home and the medics are looking around for extra light. I just pass mine forward.

You hit it on the head. I work nights and NEED my flashlight at least 2-3 times a shift. Dim houses, side of road, and inside a vehicle. I don't like people always asking to borrow something they should have themselves. Same goes for shears. They are to good to carry them, but always ask for them when needed.

People, You do not need to have a belt full of junk, but do come to work prepared for the job!!!!!!!!!!!!.

medic417

The Truth Provider
You hit it on the head. I work nights and NEED my flashlight at least 2-3 times a shift. Dim houses, side of road, and inside a vehicle. I don't like people always asking to borrow something they should have themselves. Same goes for shears. They are to good to carry them, but always ask for them when needed.

People, You do not need to have a belt full of junk, but do come to work prepared for the job!!!!!!!!!!!!.

All that is in the service jump bag. If I did my ambulance check out I know its there, so why weight myself down? Why add something else to carry home germs on?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I prefer to have the latest new guy stocked with everything stand next to me on a call.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I prefer to have the latest new guy stocked with everything stand next to me on a call.

You have two medics same age side by side. One has everything but the kitchen sink attached to their uniform. The other has nothing with them. Which one do you want treating you?

The medic with nothing. Why? They are obviously the experienced medic. New people go out and buy every thing you can stuff in a pocket, attach to a belt, fanny packs, backpacks, etc. Experienced guy just asks newbie for everything they need.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
You have two medics same age side by side. One has everything but the kitchen sink attached to their uniform. The other has nothing with them. Which one do you want treating you?

The medic with nothing. Why? They are obviously the experienced medic. New people go out and buy every thing you can stuff in a pocket, attach to a belt, fanny packs, backpacks, etc. Experienced guy just asks newbie for everything they need.

Or do you want the medic that can prepared for any type of situation, or the lazy medic who couldn't care if they had the proper supplies just because they are there for a paycheck.

It can go both ways, I wouldn't base anything off of those ;)

reaper

Working Bum
All that is in the service jump bag. If I did my ambulance check out I know its there, so why weight myself down? Why add something else to carry home germs on?

You must have a very sore back! I do not have my jump bag on back, every second of a call. I don't see a flashlight as over kill, It is equipment that is needed.;)

reaper

Working Bum

As I said earlier, you do not need a bat belt full of stuff. But, the experienced medic knows what equipment needs to be carried!;)

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
As I said earlier, you do not need a bat belt full of stuff. But, the experienced medic knows what equipment needs to be carried!;)
Or the experieced medic makes sure he or she is partnered with a newbie.
I am a former newbie who did carrie everything under the sun on his duty belt. Now I carry keys, minimag, radio, pager, and a glove pouch. Before I carried 5 more pouches that contained stuff that was in the trauma bag. Iwas going to stop wearing a duty belt but on of the deputy co-ordinators is considering duty belts for everyone.

NJN

The Young One
I dont carry anything on my belt, if i need it its somehow attached to my radio strap, which means i don't need anything really. I have a stinger i keep in my go bag, for scenes where i thinking i'm going to to need it.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
a bright light.

zacdav89

Forum Crew Member
My service issued us all hats that actually have an 3 bulb led light build in to the brim of the hat its kinda cool and it works well the light goes where you need it and you have use of both your hands, there about as bright as your mini mag,

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You've heard my rant before, no?

A good, cheap, brightly colored two-AA-cell light which uses a basic type flashlight bulb. I repace it with a krypton bulb and carry a spare bulb and battery set.
I work where if the power goes out it gets very very dark and you are locked in.
The majority of times you will have a flashlight bulb fail is in the dark. Little wires on bulbs (minimag) are impossble to change by Braille, and little bulbs can be easily dropped in the dark without hope of finding. Plus minimags and other sexy lights are very pilferable whereas, since replacing mine is cheap, Murphy's Law says it will always be returned to me.
I also carry a Skil nine LED nonfocussed three-AAA light (red aluminum, $3 at Kragen Auto); a one-AAA one LED minilight about 1.5 inches long ($3 Walmart); and a Welch Allyn otoscope in my kit ($>300 new, found in trash).