What is your most ridiculous call?

SpudCrushr

Forum Crew Member
Called to a 42 y/o male with a c/c "I think I'm having a heart attack".
We arrive on scene and find him lying UC on the living room floor.
We check vitals.... all WNL.
After establishing an IV, hooking him to the 12 lead and several other things
Um.. okay. We decided to do some "tests".
First the hand drop test(s)... FAILED (missed his face every time)
Tried inserting a OPA... FAILED (clenched his jaw tighter then a dolphins butt)
So we were pretty sure this guy is faking it.
We get to the ED and drop him off and give the story to the RN.
She turns around and walks into the Pts room and loudly says " Okay we are going to need to get his temp.... hand me the rectal thermometer"

The Pt. suddenly awakes, jumps up and yells NOO.

Turns out he was having problems with his soon to be ex-wife and was looking for attention.

LOL! That's great

Sasha

Forum Chief
Ooooh ooooh. Call from a nursing home, on a general transport BLS truck. "Severe head and neck pain 10/10 following a slip and fall" Wanna know how long ago the slip and fall was? 10 hours beforehand. Roll in with a back board and stuff for spinal percautions, nurse stares, blinks "What did you bring that for?"

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Got a Nursing home "Emergency Call" (Someone really needs to teach this Nursing Home Nurses/Techs what a REAL Emergency is) for a 76 Y/o Male with, as they put it, "Abnormal Sexual Tendencies".

My partner and I literally just looked at the text message (This is for my paid company, and rather then our dispatchers actually talking to us like humans we get text messages) and said, There is no way in hell I am wasting my lunch for that. We were each about halfway through sandwiches we bought for lunch, So yeah, We finished, and drove over there, Non Code3 of course. Arrived on scene, Went up stairs to the Pt's floor. Floor Nurse told us the call was cancelled. Seems they just decided that locking his door would do the trick.

But yeah, Apparently the Pt was Slapping young nurses and techs on their rears, and making crude advances on them. How in the hell is that an emergency, Idk. It just sounds like a horny old man to me.

YYCmedic

Forum Crew Member
hmmm... theres alot of them but this one sticks out right now for some reason.

pt states "My finger hurts" ...how long has this been happening? "my whole life but i cant deal with it anymore, its time to go to the hospital!" pt is 66 years old..... yupp, i love crackheads downtown!

jochi1543

Forum Captain
hmmm... theres alot of them but this one sticks out right now for some reason.

pt states "My finger hurts" ...how long has this been happening? "my whole life but i cant deal with it anymore, its time to go to the hospital!" pt is 66 years old..... yupp, i love crackheads downtown!

Let me guess, at the Cecil?

dslprod

Forum Crew Member
Had a drunk climb into the back of a PD K9 car with the dog inside. After we were able to pull him out with several bites to the legs, he told us he thought it was a taxi. Also had a homeless frequent flyer who had run out of legit complaints so he told us his nipples hurt, LOL

oh man this one made my day ! Lmao

DR_KSIDE

Forum Crew Member
Are you kidding...

My crew was called out to assist a person with putting on their neck brace. We got there and the person had taken the brace apart to clean it, but could not remember how to put it back together. After about 5-7 mins we finally reassembled it and put it back on them. Love to help people but sometimes you just wonder "why"?

SES4

Forum Lieutenant
Wow....

my crew was called out to assist a person with putting on their neck brace. We got there and the person had taken the brace apart to clean it, but could not remember how to put it back together. After about 5-7 mins we finally reassembled it and put it back on them. Love to help people but sometimes you just wonder "why"?

wow..... Lol.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
A guy I did my dispatch gig with told me that he had a guy attempting suicide via chainsaw on the phone. He kept threatening to do it and, of course, Justin (the dispatcher) was doing his all to keep him from doing it. He started the chainsaw and then started screaming. He turned it off and decided he wanted an ambulance for his wounds. He said he wasn't going to kill himself because it hurt too badly. Maybe not ridiculous but I was kindda like, "you have to be kidding, did he really think it wouldn't hurt?"

Maybe I just have a warped sense of humor. :)

Jonathan

Blueorchid

Forum Ride Along
This was a call my EMT-B instructor had…hope I get one of these gems some day soon- just finished my test!

Receive a call to the local 7-11 for a “CPR in progress,” fire crews are on scene and my lieutenant rolls up in his medic. As he and his partner get out of the car they see the crew walking out the door and all of them are laughing so you figure this has to be good. They get inside to find the patient in the back cupping the carotid pulse. He responds, has an airway, doesn’t look like he has trouble breathing, and they ask him why he’s clutching his neck (was this some kind of trauma?). His response?

“I’m feeling my pulse”
Why’s that?
“Well what if its stops?”
*after a looong pause*…Good point. Want to go to the hospital?

The patient agrees, by the way this was not an ETOH guy or any sort of altered mental status, he seemed awake alert and oriented, no blood or problems on his neck. Vitals are still taken but as he stands up he gets this look on his face and stops with the reply of “Hey guys! I can’t feel my pulse!”

He proceeds to start his own chest compressions, and did so as they took him all the way to the hospital. When they brought him in (still doing compressions) the charge nurse took one look and shuttled him to the waiting room.

Gotta love self-CPR :p

aidan

Forum Crew Member
self-CPR, hahaha. I always thought that a general rule of thumb is: if the patient can perform self-CPR, the patient doesn't need CPR :p

ok actually I just now made that rule of thumb up.

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
LOL some people have random issues, I heard about a call that a rural ambo responeded to, a medical call, the ambo reached the call deep in Alexander(our local town ship, very dangerous) for a male that has "a warm leg", and does not know why.

A waste of time in my opinion.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
Fire and medical

Just dispatched for a structure fire, revised to chimney fire. Sheriff is first on scene, stands everyone down. People had just gotten a wood stove and didn't know why smoke was coming out the top, worried that something was on fire.

I don't know why I let stupidity surprise me anymore.

danguitar12345

Forum Probie
Stress/Asthma/BS

Woman complaining of chest pain turned out to be a stress/asthma attack and she kept on saying how she didn't think it was a broken rib and i was thinking well hell I didn't ask you if you thought you broke a rib.

ChristinaM

Forum Ride Along
Oh.. I have a good one...

I was blessed to have worked in Boca Raton, Palm Beach County, Florida.. primarily a very wealthy retirement community.

We got a call one night at about 0200 for a traumatic injury. Upon arrival at the residence, an elderly female in the bed informed us that her toenail was stuck in her bedding and she needed help getting it loose.

Mind you, her husband was standing by watching the entire event and proceeded to watch us free her from her imprisonment and leave.

Oh... those were the days...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
We get a call at 0520 (10 minutes before getting off.. been on for 12 hours) for a priority 3 sick person on the opposite side of the city (30 min drive)

Get out there and FD was already there. A FF came out and warned us that she was a frequent flier. We go in and she c/o ab pain. We get her in to the truck and I go to take her BP and she pulls away. I was like "ma'am, I have to take your blood pressure" and all she did was turn away and stare off into a cabinet.

Being the good EMT student I was, I told my medic, who came in and said "Listen, you called us, we didn't call you, now let us do our job". She reluctantly gave me her arm and I took vitals.

Seeing as she wasn't dying, we did vitals before leaving so road artifacts didn't toy with me. She starts complaining that we're taking too long and said she should have drove her self (mind you, she has 1 leg).

We get going to the hospital (30 min drive back) the whole time her complaining that we were going too slow and "Oh oh the pain".

I hate to say it, but it got kind of funny. My medic was in the captains seat out of her view, so he was laughing, which made me want to laugh but I couldn't since I was next to her.

We finally get to the ER and place the cot against the wall while the medic goes to check her in, and instructed me to stay with her since she kept trying to take the straps off. Some more complaining ensued, so I turned towards the nurses trying to stiffle a laugh, which they saw, so the nurses started to laugh... yea... didn't end well.

Basically the lady made us 1.5 hours late from our original time due to gas.

Bosco578

Forum Captain
We get a call at 0520 (10 minutes before getting off.. been on for 12 hours) for a priority 3 sick person on the opposite side of the city (30 min drive)

Get out there and FD was already there. A FF came out and warned us that she was a frequent flier. We go in and she c/o ab pain. We get her in to the truck and I go to take her BP and she pulls away. I was like "ma'am, I have to take your blood pressure" and all she did was turn away and stare off into a cabinet.

Being the good EMT student I was, I told my medic, who came in and said "Listen, you called us, we didn't call you, now let us do our job". She reluctantly gave me her arm and I took vitals.

Seeing as she wasn't dying, we did vitals before leaving so road artifacts didn't toy with me. She starts complaining that we're taking too long and said she should have drove her self (mind you, she has 1 leg).

We get going to the hospital (30 min drive back) the whole time her complaining that we were going too slow and "Oh oh the pain".

I hate to say it, but it got kind of funny. My medic was in the captains seat out of her view, so he was laughing, which made me want to laugh but I couldn't since I was next to her.

We finally get to the ER and place the cot against the wall while the medic goes to check her in, and instructed me to stay with her since she kept trying to take the straps off. Some more complaining ensued, so I turned towards the nurses trying to stiffle a laugh, which they saw, so the nurses started to laugh... yea... didn't end well.

Basically the lady made us 1.5 hours late from our original time due to gas.

Wow that was funny.