What flashlight do you carry?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Do you carry your own flashlight (pen light excluded)? Or do you just use one from the truck?

If you do carry your own, which one do you use?

Gymratt

Forum Probie
I don't carry one at all now and very few people here does anymore. Everyone just uses their cell phone LOL.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I carry my own. The ones we have on our truck are cheap and don't work very well.

I have a little stream light that I carry in my pocket (it doubles as a penlight: http://www.thefirestore.com/mobile/...ht-High-Performance-1AA-Flashlight-50-Lumens/).

Then strapped on my helmet I have another stream light (http://www.thefirestore.com/mobile/...-Streamlight-Rubber-Helmet-Strap-130-Lumens-/)

I'm my backpack I usually carry another stream light or a LED Maglite if we are going to have to hike in to get to a call.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I carry a little Fenix light, an LD12. Uses a single AA sp batteries are easy to come by
ypy7yvu9.jpg

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Singe AA Gerber firecracker. Fits next to my leatherman in the same case so that's nice. I have a little black diamond headlamp in my bag too.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I carry a 5.11 TMT L2. Found it on sale for about $50. The flashlights we have on the truck are really good maglites, but the problem is when I go into the station and before I get to the truck. Before we updated the lighting, it was so dark in there, I ran smack dab into the side of a truck once. It's also nice to have at night walking around campus or other darker areas since I'm really good at tripping over my own feet.

I actually bought a set of rechargeable batteries for my flashlight which I now think is a waste. The first set of regular batteries that came with the flashlight are still running strong after about 9 months so I haven't even broke open the rechargeables yet.

I would recommend the light to anyone who asked. It's a bit on the heavier side, and you can get the L1 or one of the A series if that's an issue, but my hands are bigger so any smaller and the flashlight would have been harder to handle.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Used to use this guy until I left in the rig and it got jacked. Around the same time I switched to a day shift and regular use of a light was not needed, but I always wanted to replace it. This little guy could light up a whole scene, and small enough to fit in a pocket or on a belt loop.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
streamlight stinger rechargeable. Had it for a few years now and use it often.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I had a nice surefire that got left on a scene. Now I carry a little knock off tactical flashlight, with a Cree LED head, that I got on eBay. Two lights two sets of rechargeable batteries and a charger for less than 20 bucks. Now I don't feel bad if I lose one.

Our trucks have a pair of polycarbonate SX 20 stream lights, as well.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0015UC17E?pc_redir=1403367663&robot_redir=1

This little guy. Fits in my penlight pocket and it's still bright enough I light up a large room. Still use it as my penlight, too, just gotta come in with the side of the beam so I don't blind the pt.

I used the same for a while. Good light. More recently this guy, which is good too. Room for improvement too I'm sure.

I think the best choices are this style with a pen-type form factor, which fits into pen pockets and doesn't get in the way. Ideally with a clip (put it on your epaulet, seatbelt, hat brim, etc), both intermittent and locked-on options, and I really like the option for multiple brightnesses, because I find I want low light for poking around the rig and reading maps, and high light for scenes, and they're pretty different. Flashlight technology has come so far recently that you can easily have all of this including a VERY bright highbeam in a reasonably-priced light that uses standard batteries (not lithiums, which cost bank). I still have a bigger SureFire around that lived in my bag, but it's just not needed very much anymore.

Should also be water-resistant at least, pretty tough, and I like a stout clip, because mine always end up bent. Oh, and it should be LED, because it's the 21st century, guys.

I also like to wrap a couple rubber bands around the back end so you can hold it in your teeth if you need.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Oh, and unless your light has a VERY low "low" mode, it won't cut the mustard for pupil exams. Probably burn a hole right through their head to the other side. Carry a separate clinical penlight if you want one.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Oh, and unless your light has a VERY low "low" mode, it won't cut the mustard for pupil exams. Probably burn a hole right through their head to the other side. Carry a separate clinical penlight if you want one.
I carry a cheap rayovac pen light I got at Wal-Mart. three bucks, metal body, single led. uses a AAA battery. I've been using the same one fir two years now

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
My penlight and my flashlight are two separate lights! The penlight is just an ordinary medical penlight. My flashlight is a 2-AA LED Maglite. It's small, fits in my pocket, does an adequate job of lighting up what I need to see. Anything requiring a greater amount of light gets the spotlight from the truck.

GoldcrossEMTbasic

Forum Lieutenant
I carry a LED light that attaches to my helmet. I also have a penlight holstered in my cargo pocket on my 5.11 EMT pants with Trauma Shears^_^

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I used to be a maglight fan, but saw this flashlight and decided to upgrade. I keep one in my EMS bag and another one in my car. 600 lumens for $30 is a good deal in my book.

f29c5bd6-e934-4fce-882c-7e0c9d41d0c1_300.jpg

I also have a fenix L2D2 on my belt, and a cheap tactical LED flashlight that hangs from my radio strap

TacomaGirl

Forum Probie
I'm partial to my tiny fenix light. Best one I've owned.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
My Galaxy S2 LED seems to be nearly on par with the scene lights on the rig, so I use that if I need a lot of light (and if necessary for some reason, will run for hours). I get a disposable penlight out of my pocket if I need a little light.