What do you have in your pockets?

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
I'd be careful with packing a blade like that. I know that where I work, showing up with that on your person would earn you a written reprimand and maybe a few days off.

Lord help you if you ever displayed or made any gestures with it in a "violent" situation. Termination for sure.

I have worked in some sketchy areas and some of my districts are not very nice, but I never felt the need to carry a weapon like a machete. :)

My chief(s) knew I had it. I gave them the explanation why, and basically discussed reasons in which it was proper to use it, which would be, solely and only, situations that proved to be a life threat to me or my partner(s), that I would be unable to get out of. Any other reasons for it, as you said, would be grounds for termination.

DPM

Forum Captain
Have you ever thought about something a bit more... legal? And that has more stand-off, like pepper spray. It might be a foot long but you've still got to get close to use it.

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
Have you ever thought about something a bit more... legal? And that has more stand-off, like pepper spray. It might be a foot long but you've still got to get close to use it.

Suprisingly, it IS legal. I went over the NY laws.

I quit carrying it anyway, I carry a flick lock (?) knife now, pretty much anywhere I go. I keep the bigger one at home now.

And I think machete might be the wrong word for it, it's just a big knife. I'm not sure on the classifications of knives.

emtCstock

Forum Crew Member
My kit on my belt with all my sheers, Vics Vapo rub, a little flip note book, gum, wallet, cell phone, and gloves. :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've never understood the whole vapor rub thing. The point of that stuff is to open up your nose so you can breathe...thus breathing in more stinky stuff.

I carry my phone, my wallet, a pen, a sharpie, shears, starting tomorrow narcs, and keys.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've never understood the whole vapor rub thing. The point of that stuff is to open up your nose so you can breathe...thus breathing in more stinky stuff.

Oh no. That Vic's menthol smell wipes out the smell of GI bleed, colostomy bag soup and 10 day old dead body.

Try it. You'll see.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Oh no. That Vic's menthol smell wipes out the smell of GI bleed, colostomy bag soup and 10 day old dead body.

Try it. You'll see.

It may pose a problem that I hate the smell of menthol...colostomy soup may possibly be worse though.

Especially when they keep 4 weeks worth of it in 5 gallon buckets next to their bed. That one scarred me for life.

emtCstock

Forum Crew Member
I love my vapo rub, I use it all occasionally (mainly just rotting body parts) and it works wonders for me. It's just a matter of putting it on before you smell anything bad.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Spyderco Endura knife, Leatherman on belt, narc keys / o2 wrench and a pocket guide. I wear a radio strap also but do not keep anything on the strap it self. My full time job does not wear BDU type pants but the part time job does. I don't like the pockets though but really dont care.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm glad someone most likely shares my pain.

We have the most uncomfortable pants ever over at FDNY.

Not sure who makes yours, but we get these and they are by far the most uncomfortable things I have ever had the pleasure of wearing. I got them a size larger just to avoid having any excess skin content and dry them with tennis balls occasionally but they still SUCK.

The also have tiny pockets, all I have is a pen, a small Gerber locker (all the cool kids have some sort of knife, why not me?) in my back pocket along with my wallet, a wadded up pair of gloves or two, and my phone. I keep a notepad in my shirt pocket, another pen, and sometimes a penlight. Evening and nights I'll but a pair of shears through my belt since I might actually do EMT type work...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Not sure who makes yours, but we get these and they are by far the most uncomfortable things I have ever had the pleasure of wearing. I got them a size larger just to avoid having any excess skin content and dry them with tennis balls occasionally but they still SUCK.

We get to pick between 3 pant types and 1 flight/jump suit if we are on our 24 hour car ;) . 4 pocket straight leg, 6 pocket cargo type, and 9 pocket cargo type. Of course I get the 9 pocket ones because they are the most expensive and the company pays for them ;)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Deviation from company uniform standards is the express route to termination. I agree with the policy to a point, but why can I not just purchase a pair of pants that looks identical but is made of cotton? At this point I think I'd spend the money.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Now that I am wearing pants. This is what I got.

Right pocket- wallet and cash
Right cargo- nothing

Left pocket- phone charger
Left cargo- gloves

Lol very exciting stuff.

OP
OP
S

SSwain

Forum Captain
I guess I could tell what I carry in mine (now that I am a working EMT :) )
Left Front pocket. Gum/mints
R F pocket, Kershaw or Spyderco Delica
Left Rear nothing
R R Wallet
Left Cargo Stethoscope
Left outer cargo pens/markers
R Cargo note pad, cheat sheet (normal vitals, drug doses, tell tales...etc)
R outer cargo penlight, shears
Left lower (shin) old chapstick tube filled with Vicks
R lower extra gloves
On my belt...cell phone, pager, keys

FWIW, my dept issues 5.11 EMT pants.

Glider

Forum Probie
I wear large gloves normally, so I keep 2-3 pairs of XLs in my side cargo for the nursing homes, hoarders, and traumas.

Other then that standard cell, wallet, sheers.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Now that I am wearing pants. This is what I got.

As compared to days at work when you aren't wearing any pants?

254836853_f805b57ea1.jpg

...also, this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Right outer cargo: shears, 2 pens, 4sevens flashlight, sharpie

Right inner cargo: 2 pairs of gloves, notepad, led headlamp, a few alcohol pads

Right pocket: cell phone

Left pocket: knife

Left cargo: scope

DVetter

Forum Probie
What do you keep in your pants pockets

Aside from the standard trauma shears, and latex gloves ,I keep a small note pad,extra ink pen, a highlighter pen, multi-tool, mag light, eye pro, tic-tacs and a credit card in a protective cover. ( never know when you will get the munchies)

homingmissile

Forum Crew Member
Left cargo: stethoscope

Right cargo: A gel-tip pen and I actually have one of those treck cutters instead of trauma shears.

Left pocket: wallet

Right pocket: cellphone

Rear pockets: one pair of nitrile gloves each.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
I want to preface this by saying I CAN'T STAND junk in my pockets!

L front pocket: Wallet.
R front pocket: Cell phone.

Back pockets...nothing, unless I'm carrying a radio with me. I carry my radio in my back pocket, and that comes out the instant I'm back in the truck.

All the EMS stuff is in the bag.