Walmart Raises Minimum Wage to $10 - Why Not EMS?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
No one to blame but EMS, theres people willing to work for pennies. Greedy owners take advantage of knowing some other sucker will be at the door when someone quits.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
The California minimum wage is $9.00 I know a few companies paying just that or $9.30 which just makes walmart even more better.lol

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Right, but there's a line of 50 fresh new EMTs standing at the HR office door, ready to "race the reaper". If I were a business owner that did BLS IFT, I'd run it as close to the bleeding edge as I could. Working as an EMT isn't a career, it's the fast food job of medicine, and quite frankly, only deserves minimum wage pay.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Right, but there's a line of 50 fresh new EMTs standing at the HR office door, ready to "race the reaper". If I were a business owner that did BLS IFT, I'd run it as close to the bleeding edge as I could. Working as an EMT isn't a career, it's the fast food job of medicine, and quite frankly, only deserves minimum wage pay.
Not here. Weve had a shortage of medics and emts for 4 months.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Not here. Weve had a shortage of medics and emts for 4 months.

Then pay more, offer decent benefits and put together a retention plan.

Your service is in the minority. Most services have multiple qualified applicants for every job, especially EMT-Bs.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Then pay more, offer decent benefits and put together a retention plan.

Your service is in the minority. Most services have multiple qualified applicants for every job, especially EMT-Bs.
That's county wide.lol. They say when the economy is good not an emt to be found.lol

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Working as an EMT isn't a career, it's the fast food job of medicine, and quite frankly, only deserves minimum wage pay.

I completely agree, and this simple concept is what motivated me to keep going through school. I was already set to go to college, but after getting my EMT I reeeeaalllyy struggled with the thought that I could stop school now, go work for a top notch system within a year or two, maybe get my paramedic paid for, and call it a life. And live alright. But I pushed.

Now I see the old EMT-Bs still doing IFT, I see the 40 year old techs at the hospital.

I mean think about the education requirement. High School and 3 months to be an EMT. Well, it might take High School, then an addition month, for a high-end serving gig at a restaurant. EMT is a stepping stone.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I completely agree, and this simple concept is what motivated me to keep going through school. I was already set to go to college, but after getting my EMT I reeeeaalllyy struggled with the thought that I could stop school now, go work for a top notch system within a year or two, maybe get my paramedic paid for, and call it a life. And live alright. But I pushed.

Now I see the old EMT-Bs still doing IFT, I see the 40 year old techs at the hospital.

I mean think about the education requirement. High School and 3 months to be an EMT. Well, it might take High School, then an addition month, for a high-end serving gig at a restaurant. EMT is a stepping stone.
If its a stepping stone why do ma/cna's make more than us?????? LOL why do we make the same as a burger flipper? Whens the last time a burger flipper did cpr? Splinted somebody? Been shat or vomitted on?

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
If its a stepping stone why do ma/cna's make more than us?????? LOL why do we make the same as a burger flipper? Whens the last time a burger flipper did cpr? Splinted somebody? Been shat or vomitted on?

Every example you just used is taught in free first aid classes around the world. Style points for vomiting. Everything else we do requires a doc to say we can, and it can be youtube'd. There is nothing special about Basics.

A burger flipper prepares raw meat for cooking and delivery to a customer, providing a clean and safe product. A burger flipper has more opportunity to accidentally cause someone harm than a Basic does on a regular basis.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Every example you just used is taught in free first aid classes around the world. Style points for vomiting. Everything else we do requires a doc to say we can, and it can be youtube'd. There is nothing special about Basics.

A burger flipper prepares raw meat for cooking and delivery to a customer, providing a clean and safe product. A burger flipper has more opportunity to accidentally cause someone harm than a Basic does on a regular basis.
cnas and mas do the same thing than but just wipe buts but earn about double what an emt makes and most are not even required to have a diploma.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
cnas and mas do the same thing than but just wipe buts but earn about double what an emt makes and most are not even required to have a diploma.

I have no idea where you are finding CNAs, of any number of years of experiencel, making over $20 an hour.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I have no idea where you are finding CNAs, of any number of years of experiencel, making over $20 an hour.
Emts in certain parts make $9 hourly. Alot of cnas and mas make $18 or about $15 im simply pointing out a fact not boo hooing simply standing up for the little guy that can't afford an apartment or don't have mom and dad to help.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Emts in certain parts make $9 hourly. Alot of cnas and mas make $18 or about $15 im simply pointing out a fact not boo hooing simply standing up for the little guy that can't afford an apartment or don't have mom and dad to help.

Then the little guy should get more schooling. I don't have parents helping me, and my credit is crap. I am still putting my self through school to earn better money.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Then the little guy should get more schooling. I don't have parents helping me, and my credit is crap. I am still putting my self through school to earn better money.
Came from the same boat. Just throwing it out there. There needs to be a fine balance. There is no more middle class.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I have EMT partners that make about $5 AN HOUR MORE THAN I DO AS THEIR MEDIC!! Some of them even have their medic license but upgrading means only a $.20 bump for them and all the responsibility is "not worth 20 cents an hour".

I don't respect that perspective purely out of my desire to excel, bit for the majority of people out there, the logic is sound.