THe REal Reason you became an EMT-B

Summit

Critical Crazy
I worked ambulance to be a better EMT.

I became an EMT to be better at SAR

I became SAR to better help my friends in the backcountry.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't stand being shackled to a desk or "death by cubicle"

Oh and medicine is cool!

Driving and trauma ... eh not so much :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
i work for the ambulance service already and im on insurance ive been here for about 3 yrs i work as an emergency dispatcher but when people hurt their backs i usually 3rd ride to help left and help in the back or drive which ever is needed and sometimes i just 3rd ride to be with my friends when they ask me too

Wtf? Working on an ambulance isn't social hour.

MrsMedic

Forum Ride Along
I started looking into being an EMT because I was tired of college and wanted to get started in a career that did not involve a cubicle.

Then I absolutly fell in love with it. I want to go on to be a paramedic after I get my feet wet. From there who knows.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I started looking into being an EMT because I was tired of college and wanted to get started in a career that did not involve a cubicle.

Then I absolutly fell in love with it. I want to go on to be a paramedic after I get my feet wet. From there who knows.

If you plan to stay in EMS do your patients a favor and get started on Paramedic right now.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I have two cousins that were FDNY EMS medics, who later left for a well paying hospital. They gave me the straight story as to what I could expect, and that they could help me get on at their hosp so I could make serious bank.

I knew that as an EMT, I could go to RN school on a decent salary, go up to medic and make money hand over fist, and do an online bridge to RN if I so choose.

Helping people in distress give me a sense of fufillment and pride, and I don't particularly care for working indoors. If you work nights in the ghetto, you get to see a lot of wild, crazy, off the wall stuff. Beats sitting in a cubicle, doing heavy physical labor all day long or otherwise being on your feet constantly for hours on end.

8jimi8

CFRN
I got in it for the hot EMS chicks ... oh and the warm vomit of some drunk running down my arm and into my gloves.

thatgirl00

Forum Crew Member
Um well..

I know that EMT's and Paramedics saved my brothers life when he had his horrible accident.. though he cannot walk, he is still alive because whoever responded to the call got him to where he needed to be.

Also my dad has suffered many heart attacks and angina(?) attacks and I specifically remember sitting on the couch next to him while the EMTs assessed him one time.. I was like 15 or something then.

I am not an EMTb yet but I will (hopefully) pass this class and be successful with mastering the skills... and then be able to play a part in helping to save someone else's brother or dad :D

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
Always wanted to be a doctor/fire fighter/paramedic as a kid. Go figure parents talked me out of med school as I got into junior high, high school; told me to be a pharmacist (sorry standing behind a counter is boring) and fire fighter/ medic fell by the way side and got lost.

I've always had this urge to find a profession that helped people. lol even my ex gf's when i BS and reminisced with friends they had some "help/save me" factor that attracted me to them.

Well after one of those "where the f* is my life going" talk with a friend at a dive bar one night. she asked the right questions and EMT/Medic/Fire came right back into my head. Took the class, and the rest is history. I feel home.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The same three reasons everyone does it: money, power, and chicks. Oh, and having access to an unlimited free supply of KY jelly without people at the drug store asking all sorts of uncomfortable questions. :lol: (KIDDING BTW)

But seriously, if I hadn't started in EMS when I did how else would I get to use the "best pickup line ever" (according to several of my female friends)?
Me: "I'm an EMT and I think your nose is broken."
Girl: "No :censored::censored::censored::censored:, Sherlock."
Ah....the sweet start of an almost two year relationship. How many guys can claim to have picked up a girl by accidentally breaking her nose and then having HER call you for a date because you were "such a gentleman about the whole thing"?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't stand being shackled to a desk or "death by cubicle"

I hear that.

Some of my year 11 biology class had a clinical focus and I loved it. Haven't stopped loving it. A couple of my teachers used to say I should be a doctor because I was arrogant/clever and I had atrocious handwriting...sure showed them :unsure:

+Plus I quite like driving. Clears my head. But I was hardly going to be a taxi driver.

Whats with the abundance of "why are you an EMT" threads lately? This guy was clearly trolling...but still.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
But seriously, if I hadn't started in EMS when I did how else would I get to use the "best pickup line ever" (according to several of my female friends)?
Me: "I'm an EMT and I think your nose is broken."
Girl: "No :censored::censored::censored::censored:, Sherlock."
Ah....the sweet start of an almost two year relationship. How many guys can claim to have picked up a girl by accidentally breaking her nose and then having HER call you for a date because you were "such a gentleman about the whole thing"?

Man that sounds like something I'd do. "Hey can I buy you a..." *SMACK*.

I'm sure in the process I would break my own nose on my pocket protector.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
sounds desperate...

Just saying
Not exactly. She was well off (from a money standpoint....father was a doc who ran a group practice), very pretty, bright, no major personality issues that became apparent even after two years. In fact, if it wasn't for the opposite directions we were headed in life I probably would have stayed with her for a lot longer. That doesn't sound like someone who is exactly desperate for attention from the opposite sex. She just seemed to value being treated well and respectfully rather than being treated like a piece of arm candy like a lot of guyser seemed to treat her sisters and like she had been treated before.

harkj

Forum Crew Member
Wtf? Working on an ambulance isn't social hour.

no its not but i dont mind helping out when my FRIEND has been on a truck for 72 hrs and they are tired and worn out and they need the extra help. I dont know about your company but at the one i work for when someone needs help you help them!

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
I did wheelchair transports[chair car] for my company during school breaks. I dropped out of my college and at this point I became a full timer and my company offered to pay for my EMT course. Before that I really never thought about becoming an EMT. It just kind of happened. Now I'm done with medic school and I just have to take my state written test.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
the reason i became a EMT-B was because i was in pursuit of becoming a firefighter, and i figured it would look better... BUT after attending the class i was so interested in emergency medicine itself i just dropped the idea of becoming a firefighter and i told myself i would become a paramedic... unfortunately the school was expensive and they required that i be an EMT-B for a year... and i was only 18 at the time... so i joined the US Navy as a hospital corpsman... now i am even more passionate about medicine... and will get my AS in para-medicine once i get out...

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
negative sir...

the tucson fire department i was looking at for joining does not require an EMT-B cert they do it in the academy. but they are one of the few.