THe REal Reason you became an EMT-B

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
ahhh dude... you should have gone the alligator wrestler route!!!

Simusid

Forum Captain
The reasons I became an EMT:

1) I never want to be in a situation where I did not know what to do...even the most basic stuff. So EMT-B was for *me* (and my family/friends)

2) I've been on the board of directors for our local EMS for years but only on the business end of things. I knew basically nothing about what "they" did and I felt very disconnected from our actual mission. The best way to serve the *town* was for me to get appropriately trained.

Mike321

Forum Ride Along
ahhh dude... you should have gone the alligator wrestler route!!!

Well I only thought that was cool until I was about 10. My parents took me to this indian alligator zoo thing when I was real young. The guy let me jump on top of a gator and hold it's jaws shut in front of the crowd, I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. (Thinking back now that gator was probably drugged up pretty good)

Last edited by a moderator:

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
The reasons I became an EMT:

1) I never want to be in a situation where I did not know what to do...even the most basic stuff. So EMT-B was for *me* (and my family/friends)

2) I've been on the board of directors for our local EMS for years but only on the business end of things. I knew basically nothing about what "they" did and I felt very disconnected from our actual mission. The best way to serve the *town* was for me to get appropriately trained.

I wish my office boss and billing person would become an EMT so they would get a hint on how tough we have it. I love reason #2 good job!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I wish my office boss and billing person would become an EMT so they would get a hint on how tough we have it. I love reason #2 good job!

I'm sure they think the same of EMTs at times. Imagine the headaches and hassles they must go through especially when paperwork is improperly filled out by EMTs. They are also trusting you have done everything you said on that form. In some areas companies have been so desparate to get lazy EMTs to do their job they have to pay them for each Patient Information and Care Report they fill out "correctly". Some EMTs don't realize how much money they cause a company to lose if they can not be reimbursed due to sloppy work.

JB42

Forum Crew Member
Lights and sirens....

:ph34r:

Really, to try something new. I had friends who were volunteer and full-time at various places and I decided to give it a shot based on their descriptions of EMS.

The bonus of it all is I get to help people. I even enjoyed the dialysis derby when I was working BLS IFT.

HokieEMT

Forum Probie
Funny thing is I swore as a kid I would never enter medicine because my parents turned me off of it with their nightly dinner table discussions. My dad is an Emergency Medicine PA and former Paramedic/Firefighter. My mom is an RN and has done it all lol.

I became an EMT because:
- I am embedded with a need to serve the community.

- It felt like a switch was thrown and all the sudden I wanted to be an EMT

- Finally, it runs in my blood. Just about every male with my last name in my dad's family has been in Fire/EMS whether it be volunteer or career. We have one more to make the cycle complete, my 18yo cousin.

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Everything I'm saying is true!!!!

To sound good:
Because I wanted to serve my community and I enjoy helping others. EMS just sort of came naturally so-to-speak (as in, the practicals and book material were very easy for me to learn and I care about my pt.)

To still be honest but not sound so good:
I needed the college credit and EMS was an option as an elective for me. The past 5 generations of my family have worked in EMS anyways so I felt a little obligated.
I needed something to do LOL. :p

But truth be told, I do love the EMS field and it's definitely my passion. I have no intentions of ever stopping on my own free will.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My real reason... because there's a long waitlist to get into nursing school.

And medic school requiring it helped too

Sasha

Forum Chief
My real reason... because there's a long waitlist to get into nursing school.

Exactly my reason. Had I been more patient or the nursing school waitlist been shorter, I wouldn't have touched EMS. I wish instead of going into EMT school I had taken the time to do some sciences or something.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Exactly my reason. Had I been more patient or the nursing school waitlist been shorter, I wouldn't have touched EMS. I wish instead of going into EMT school I had taken the time to do some sciences or something.

I've been wishing that lately as well. But in the end, medic school (and the AAS to go with it) will wind up helping me get into nursing school quicker than just being on the waitlist.

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
When I was growing up, I dreamed about becoming a K9 cop (having a father that is a cop may have helped with that). Once out of high school, I started going to school for my criminal justice degree not knowing a thing about the EMS field. Then one day, as I was taking my 92 year old grandmother to the hospital to see her optometrist, she tripped and fell taking a chunk of skin off her arm.
IMAGE_003.jpg

Thank god we were at the hospital, because I had no clue what to do and I was kind of freaking out. Since I was the only person in my family that could take her to all of her appointments, I wanted to make sure if she fell again like this, I would know what to do. So I went to the Red Cross and became a First Responder. Once I completed the course I wanted to learn more about the EMS field. But one month later, my grandmother fainted in her house and was unable to get back up. Thank god she had life assist (remember the, “I've fallen and I can't get up” commercial, without that she would have been help less until someone came over to visit her. I do believe it saved her life). I ran over to her house and I started asking her SAMPLE questions. Running throw everything I learned from my First Responder class kept from freaking out. This is when I wanted to become an EMT

I am now and EMT-B and pursuing my Paramedic certification because of my grandmother and for my grandmother. Plus I love helping people.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I can't really remember if I posted in this thread already. I looked through the posts, but didn't see anything from me. If I missed it, you have permission to berate me :p

Anyways, for me, public service has always been a calling. I was originally going to be a cop, but decided against it for personal reasons. I still wanted to do something in the public service field, so I decided I would go be an EMT. I had little interest in being a firefighter.

I am attracted to many things about EMS: the camaraderie, the excitement, the professional atmosphere, the uniforms, the equipment. The list goes on and on.

But it's more than just superficial reasons like those. I also really like to help people. It's something that I have enjoyed all my life. Doing a job where I can help people will be great.

Also, I am fascinated by the study of medicine. I enjoy reading about it, learning about it, and watching shows about it. Almost anything about medicine interests me. Add to that and everything else the fact that I do not want to do a normal desk job, and you will see that EMS is the perfect job for me.

Of course, I do plan on becoming a medic, not just staying as an EMT.

Aiden

Forum Ride Along
Well since I was a kid i said I'd be a cop. Well I graduated, scheduled my classes, then about 2 weeks before my classes I became intrigued with the fire fighting field. I realized I wanted to help people more than anything. So I officially started trying to become a fire fighter, I want to be a paramedic first also, but in order to be a paramedic I have to be an emt basic..so thats the point I'm at right now, becoming and emt-b

pechens16

Forum Ride Along
I am right now training to become a firefighter and soon to become a EMT I have already gone thro the class at my school called the Delaware Area Career Center in Ohio. But the writen testing was to hard for me. So I have to retake the class. Which I am happy to do. I am doing this because I have a past of depression and of things that has happen to me. My life was saved my EMT doctors and firefighters in 2008. I was 15 years old. I came close to dieing and my life was saved. I thank everyone who helped me in that time. I never figured out the department that came that morning on may 15th 2008. My guess was Orange Township Fire Department but im not so sure about that. But i wanna say thanks to all of you!

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
I originally wanted to be an OB doc... then I saw reality in the OB ER.... not what my teenage mind thought of at the time. So then it was trauma surgery.... I did'nt have 15 years of schooling willing to give... paramedic seemed more realistic.
I still get to touch people and stick things in holes. I have been happy ever since.

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Since I am not sure if I have posted yet in this thread before it was resurrected, I will go ahead and lay my reason out on the line. The reason that I became an EMT-IV (lowest level of licensure Tennessee offers at the EMT level, excluding some fire depts that do in house EMT-B) was because I thought it would be good training for me to take before I went into the USAF to become a PJ. To make a long story short, I got burned (really, 2nd and 3rd degree over 33% of my body) two weeks before I was to ship for basic and so I went to work in the EMS field because the AF told me that I could never do Pararescue due to the scarring on my lungs.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I decided to become a EMT B because I wanted to be able to volunteer as something other than a sand bag stacker during bad times. I had no intention whatsoever of being anything more than a basic, but now that I've been a basic for about 6 months I'm already thinking about going to the next level. Kind of a bug that gets in you I guess.