THe REal Reason you became an EMT-B

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
i became an EMT because i love to help people, i need it to become a medic, and i love running calls (i run on an ALS truck) we run from between 8-16 calls in one 24 hr shift which i love doing and i love driving code 3!

WE call these people adrenoline junkies.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
harkj can enjoy all the adrenaline filled lights and sirens runs as he wants, who cares as long as he is providing good PT care??

harkj

Forum Crew Member
harkj can enjoy all the adrenaline filled lights and sirens runs as he wants, who cares as long as he is providing good PT care??

why thank i do enjoy adrenaline and respect it as well im here for the patients, code 3 is just bonus

harkj

Forum Crew Member
But if he is driving he can't do patient care.

well considering we drive "code 3" to the pt house or where ever they are, get on scene get the pt in the truck im in the back and i help the paramedic with whatever they need... now on the way to the hospital i either drive or are in the back due to the fact im a student not an emt yet (i third ride alot due to injuries of crew or ect. i have third rode the past 3 yrs)... but wait i thought this thread was about why emt-b the real reason... so when i tell people the real reason i get harped on because i tell the truth... everyone i work with except for a few like to drive code 3 not because they are maniacs its just another part of the job you either like it or you dont its personal preference...

villagegirl127

Forum Probie
Um well..

I know that EMT's and Paramedics saved my brothers life when he had his horrible accident.. though he cannot walk, he is still alive because whoever responded to the call got him to where he needed to be.

Also my dad has suffered many heart attacks and angina(?) attacks and I specifically remember sitting on the couch next to him while the EMTs assessed him one time.. I was like 15 or something then.

I am not an EMTb yet but I will (hopefully) pass this class and be successful with mastering the skills... and then be able to play a part in helping to save someone else's brother or dad :D

I hear you on that one...paramedics saved my brother's life too when he was in a horrible accident. He was in a coma for three months. If it wasn't for the quick thinking of the paramedics when he was posturing at the scene of the accident, my bro wouldn't be here today. When he was in the coma, I made the decision to get into healthcare in some way shape or form...its taken 7 years, but I'm finally doing it- I start my EMT-B in a week, and then will continue on to paramedic, then the goal is to do the medic to RN bridge program and work in ICU or with TBI patients. Good for you!!! I wish you well !

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
For anyone looking to get into being an EMT-b..please remember its just a stepping stone. You want action...be a medic.

EMT-Bs mostly do transfers, dialysis runs, and taking old ladies home from the hospital.

Why did i become an EMT? so i can chill out with a dvd player in my lap and eating free hospital food.

I had a basic tell me the same thing. I quote " I am Just a basic with a knowledge of an intermediate going to school to be a paramedic". later on that day he showed me his super intermediate skills when he attempted to take a blood pressure but couldn't figure out which way to turn the valve on the BP pump let alone hold it right side up.

I am an EMT-B and I seen a lot of action. I run with a paramedic or a Intermediate. I take the basic transfers and he takes the really ugly ones. B)

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
well considering we drive "code 3" to the pt house or where ever they are, get on scene get the pt in the truck im in the back and i help the paramedic with whatever they need... now on the way to the hospital i either drive or are in the back due to the fact im a student not an emt yet (i third ride alot due to injuries of crew or ect. i have third rode the past 3 yrs)... but wait i thought this thread was about why emt-b the real reason... so when i tell people the real reason i get harped on because i tell the truth... everyone i work with except for a few like to drive code 3 not because they are maniacs its just another part of the job you either like it or you dont its personal preference...

you been a emt student for 3 years?

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Killtank: El Paso, holy moses. Lived there 3 years. I'm sure ya'll run ragged. What area do you run mostly? Lived on the west side before moving to NE. The husband was stationed at Bliss.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
WE call these people adrenoline junkies.

Emergency services typically attract type A personalities, who are typically aggressive, assertive, thrill seeking, risk takers, and may be prone to substance abuse.

I'm an adrenaline junkie myself. I worked as a bouncer for several latin, carribean, and hip hop clubs, as I know that things would pop off frequently. I've competed in Brazilizn jiu-Jitsu and shootfights. I love to surf double to triple overhead when the hurricanes send good swell. I get excited when tones for a box alarm drop. A good, exciting EMS run will keep me buzzed for the rest of the shift.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
Killtank: El Paso, holy moses. Lived there 3 years. I'm sure ya'll run ragged. What area do you run mostly? Lived on the west side before moving to NE. The husband was stationed at Bliss.

We run El paso County. horizon, soccorro, clint, fabens, canuntio, and montana vista. ^_^

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
We run El paso County. horizon, soccorro, clint, fabens, canuntio, and montana vista. ^_^

I have respect abound for you my friend. :wacko:

One of my instructors told us why she learned CPR. Her son wasn't breathing and she didn't know CPR. He ended up being fine thanks to a neighbor who did, had RSV. So right after that, she learned CPR. Four years later she had her daughter. She had a gut feeling to check on her during her nap. She was face down and not breathing. She did CPR but her daughter died of SIDS anyway. :( A terrible thing to face but I admired her ability to speak so openly of it and share such a tender spot with our group. It's wonderful that she honors her daughter's memory in such a way.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
I have respect abound for you my friend. :wacko:

One of my instructors told us why she learned CPR. Her son wasn't breathing and she didn't know CPR. He ended up being fine thanks to a neighbor who did, had RSV. So right after that, she learned CPR. Four years later she had her daughter. She had a gut feeling to check on her during her nap. She was face down and not breathing. She did CPR but her daughter died of SIDS anyway. :( A terrible thing to face but I admired her ability to speak so openly of it and share such a tender spot with our group. It's wonderful that she honors her daughter's memory in such a way.

LOL thanks. We use old school equipment and we get real dirty. people love driving cars into the ditch that runs next to Alameda so we always get funny looks from people in the ER when we are covered up to our waste in mud.

That is a very terrible thing to hear. I believe that deaths and significant injuries to babies and infants are the worse to cope with in the medical field or any field period. Im happy to hear though that she is willing to share her experience so that people will be more willing to learn CPR and first aid.

KillTank

Forum Lieutenant
The reason I became an EMT. I was at a concert and seen 3 kids go down in front of me. I did not have any training what so ever and at the time I was just a Correctional officer. I noticed no one was helping them. I ran up to one of the kids and began shaking him. He was responsive but was very confused. I had a bystander call for help as I kept shaking on his shoulders and trying to talk to him. I looked over and noted that the 2 others kids where sitting on the floor but breathing heavily but I knew my main concern was this little kid in front of me. I stayed there with him till fire got there and put him on O2. A few weeks later I witnessed a MVA on the freeway. A small suv was clipped and caused it to flip twice. It landed on its wheels. I parked about 200 feet or so infront of it and ran over to the vehicle. I opened the front door and began asking if the driver was ok. She sat there and looked at me and began to cry but could not speak. I told her to stay still. I called 911 and gave the operator directions to the scene. I sat there with the driver and tried to keep her calm as much as possible by asking questions about her, her family, her pets, anything that would keep her relaxed. 2 off duty firefighters arrived and immediately took C-spine and began getting a history on her. I then stayed till i gave a police report of what I seen.

This is when I realized I wanted to become a EMT. I love helping people and being there for them mentally and physically. I would never consider myself a hero nor a live saver. I am human like every other person on this planet that helps my fellow man, woman, child and would expect the same in my time of need.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
The reason I became an EMT. I was at a concert and seen 3 kids go down in front of me. I did not have any training what so ever and at the time I was just a Correctional officer. I noticed no one was helping them. I ran up to one of the kids and began shaking him. He was responsive but was very confused. I had a bystander call for help as I kept shaking on his shoulders and trying to talk to him. I looked over and noted that the 2 others kids where sitting on the floor but breathing heavily but I knew my main concern was this little kid in front of me. I stayed there with him till fire got there and put him on O2. A few weeks later I witnessed a MVA on the freeway. A small suv was clipped and caused it to flip twice. It landed on its wheels. I parked about 200 feet or so infront of it and ran over to the vehicle. I opened the front door and began asking if the driver was ok. She sat there and looked at me and began to cry but could not speak. I told her to stay still. I called 911 and gave the operator directions to the scene. I sat there with the driver and tried to keep her calm as much as possible by asking questions about her, her family, her pets, anything that would keep her relaxed. 2 off duty firefighters arrived and immediately took C-spine and began getting a history on her. I then stayed till i gave a police report of what I seen.

This is when I realized I wanted to become a EMT. I love helping people and being there for them mentally and physically. I would never consider myself a hero nor a live saver. I am human like every other person on this planet that helps my fellow man, woman, child and would expect the same in my time of need.

Thats a great and genuine reason to get into it. Did you ever find out what happened to the kids?

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been figuring out how to answer this question as its extremely long, drawn out and complicated. :rolleyes: So nutshelling it. Wanted to be a cop more then anything. Wanted to go K9 Narcotics. Was training up for the Sheriffs Department when I found out I had PKD. Was told by the recruiter at the department medical wouldn't take anyone with a life threatening genetic disease. So after several weeks of moping and pouting I realized that I could still help in another way. I've always had a natural ability towards medicine so I thought long and hard about being an ER nurse. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to be a paramedic, as close to the front lines as I could get. So here I am. Wanting to help the way that suits me and my personality best without my little "disease" getting in the way. :glare:

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
To play with the lights and sirens. DUH ! :p lol

Two years ago I had a bad car accident. Was driving down a back road, road turned right, as I turned the car started to slide. Ended up losing control and hitting a tree.

Broke my R femur in 3 places (got a metal rod for this one), fractured my R tibia rite at the top where it widens (3 bolts here), and a hair line fracture just under my L elbow (turns out auto glass is harder to break than i thought). Worst of all, the 2000 Ford Mustang I was driving was totaled. :(

I want to do something for other people. plus it seems like a job i would like.

Mike321

Forum Ride Along
I took EMT-B because it's required where I live for fire. When I was a kid I wanted to be either an alligator wrestler or a fireman. (fire pays better).

After taking the EMT-B course I learned that I really enjoy ems. Hopefully after fire school I can go through medic.