the 100% directionless thread

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Mine is too.

Maybe something to the effect of not drinking coffee to begin with.

Empty coffee cup is no problem of mine.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
50 min is long? im around 90 but its a 48/96. If this job is good enough, totally worth it
50 minute drive each way.

and they're 12 hour shifts.

I did a drive like that before but I also lived where gas was $1.27/gal. It's $3.02/gal here again.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
That's about how I'd handle it. Once you've turned the patient over to the hospital and they've triaged the patient, your involvement pretty much ends, and it sounds like that's what happened. You left the patient in the care of the hospital and you went back to your usual business. Since you didn't witness anything that happened after you left, you can't say for certain what did actually happen. She may be telling you the truth, she may not be. They could have done labs and whatever else (like the MSE) and decided the patient was appropriate to sit and wait in the lobby. They may have brought the patient into a room and did the same thing.

Patient then gets tired of sitting there for a couple hours while the ED staff does whatever they're doing, and then leaves. That's the patient's choice. Of course there could be an ED plan of care in place for that particular patient that gives guidance for how to deal with that particular patient. The ED won't tell you (or sometimes won't tell the patient either) if that is the case. Frequent fliers usually will have something like that in place because of ED abuse.

At the time, we had to wait quite awhile waiting for paperwork, and that particular Dr. didn't move muscle. I darn sure wasn't because the ER was overcrowded with Pts; and this was pre-Covid. I guess it bothered me cuz this particular Pt is always polite, will answer all our questions. Stuff like did you take your meds, she's not stupid or deficient. I guess it bothers me, that yes, she is a royal pain, but aside from that, she is still human and her anxiety is real to her.

Oh, and there was no triage. They just sent her straight to the waiting room and basically ignored her. I don't think anyone expected a red carpet treatment, but to leave her sit and basically not acknowledge she was there was just above and beyond to me.

Thanks

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Frequent Flyers usually don’t get the Royal treatment they feel entitled to. Sounds like it was handled correctly by the ER Staff. Sh WAR ackc, and placed where she needed to be.
Might be a little less coddling will result in less abuse of the system...

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I bought a new smoker, I dont even have to go outside anymore.
Screenshot_20210131-181148_Smoke%20IT.jpg

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I submitted my NREMT recert in October. And I am about to finish the refresher course already for my new NREMT.
That's the way to do it. I'm going to get started on the next one right away. I've signed up for a refresher at the end of February. Nothing like cutting it close.

Fezman92

NJ and PA EMT
So I'm switching to a BLS truck at work because I want to get more driving time done. It's going to be an 8 hour work day for 5 days a week, should be interesting.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Out of curiosity how is phoenix this time of year?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Out of curiosity how is phoenix this time of year?
Went through there last week...had snow on the ground. Nothing more than a dusting really and it didnt stick around but it was funny watching people try to drive in it.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
No joke, we're going through all the body systems in EMT class and the instructor flipped to a slide which was completely blank except for the title "reproductive system" and said "You guys should know this already so I'm not going to teach it." I had to turn my camera off when I realized he was serious.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
No joke, we're going through all the body systems in EMT class and the instructor flipped to a slide which was completely blank except for the title "reproductive system" and said "You guys should know this already so I'm not going to teach it." I had to turn my camera off when I realized he was serious.

I mean. I don't turn down any teaching because I "should know it". If we should know it, do your job and teach it.

I can always use refresher or learn new stuff.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I wonder how the poor man is going to handle it when we get to childbirth

Last edited:

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I wonder how the poor man is going to handle it when we get childbirth
It would appear that you've already found the key to this answer. Sad what little education people are allowed to teach younglings to this field. Ay yay yay...

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like he may also be a proponent of "give everyone oxygen regardless"... 🤪

Not that it doesn't have its uses. We had an elderly patient today, called to a group care home (more independent living than SNF), 80 something female, not alert or responsive, eyes open but staring off into nowhere, otherwise rest of GCS 1-1. Like "she is breathing, right?". She was, about 22/min, a bit shallow but not alarmingly so, cool pale, weak radial, couldn't hear a BP, pulse weak enough I was doubting my palpated BP. Pulse Ox couldn't get a reading. So we gave her O2 10LPM via NRB.

By time ambulance showed up not even 5 min later she was waking up, woth purposeful movement, strong pulse, beginning to verbally respond to questions in the back of the ambulance.

So sometimes it can be a wonder drug... when you use other clinical judgment with other vital signs.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
First visit with our family NP today. I was told to diet and exercise cause of a BP of 112/90.

This is what getting old is like.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like he may also be a proponent of "give everyone oxygen regardless"... 🤪

Not that it doesn't have its uses. We had an elderly patient today, called to a group care home (more independent living than SNF), 80 something female, not alert or responsive, eyes open but staring off into nowhere, otherwise rest of GCS 1-1. Like "she is breathing, right?". She was, about 22/min, a bit shallow but not alarmingly so, cool pale, weak radial, couldn't hear a BP, pulse weak enough I was doubting my palpated BP. Pulse Ox couldn't get a reading. So we gave her O2 10LPM via NRB.

By time ambulance showed up not even 5 min later she was waking up, woth purposeful movement, strong pulse, beginning to verbally respond to questions in the back of the ambulance.

So sometimes it can be a wonder drug... when you use other clinical judgment with other vital signs.
But you DID make her walk to the rig right?