the 100% directionless thread

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief

Well I guess I know where I'd be bringing every single patient. Why don't more hospitals do this? It would cost them what, $200/day to keep that well stocked? They make their money back if just 1 more patient is brought there that would have gone somewhere else. At least in my area there are usually 2 or 3 hospitals all about the equidistant so I choose where to go if patient doesn't have a preference.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Well I guess I know where I'd be bringing every single patient. Why don't more hospitals do this? It would cost them what, $200/day to keep that well stocked? They make their money back if just 1 more patient is brought there that would have gone somewhere else. At least in my area there are usually 2 or 3 hospitals all about the equidistant so I choose where to go if patient doesn't have a preference.
Why should the hospital bother when so many people working in EMS are content with the crap sold at Wawa?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

CMC-Main in Charlotte has an EMS room that used to be really nicely stocked. I don't know if they still do that or not.

This used to be pretty common, but I think one of two things generally happens. As relatively small as the cost is, it eventually gets cut because the ED is constantly in cost-cutting mode and something like that is very low-hanging fruit, and/or it gets cut because EMS providers abuse it by filling their pockets with more snacks and drinks than they need.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
From VA, but know next to nothing about the good places out there. Any places you know that aren't in the NOVA area? It will probably change by the time I move back, but good to know where to start looking.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member

I imagine it doesn't cost that much. A lot of of it is probably overstock and soon to be expired items from cafateria. Our other hospitals will give us $5 credit in cafateria. I bet it helps though that there's only a few ambulance companies that operate in our county.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Almost all of our hospitals are fully stocked with everything under the sun. One hospital has a fridge of free monsters...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Washington state always had great EMS food perks. St Francis was always good for hot soup on cold rainy days, Several hospitals had really nice, fully stocked EMS rooms (Auburn and Harrison in Brem) and there was one hospital in Yakima (hint: not Memorial) that gave anyone in a uniform, anything in the Cafeteria, free. That got abused quickly and I think the free food train is now derailed.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Got home a few hours ago from work... I got held over 2.5 hours yesterday and 1.5 hours last night. In the past 48 hours I've taken care of pretty much everything from bumps and bruises, a couple of non-displaced fractures, to liver failure, to DKA... and probably 40 more that I don't recall. My ratio normally is 1:4... and a couple of these were pushing 1:2 but weren't quite sick enough. To say that I put on my rocket-powered roller skates to get everything done is an understatement. To top it all off, I had a very tough time with IV starts for a couple days and then that DKA showed up... I gave it my all but sometimes you just gotta go big and have the Doc put in a central line.

I'm glad I'm off for a few days.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Got home a few hours ago from work... I got held over 2.5 hours yesterday and 1.5 hours last night. In the past 48 hours I've taken care of pretty much everything from bumps and bruises, a couple of non-displaced fractures, to liver failure, to DKA... and probably 40 more that I don't recall. My ratio normally is 1:4... and a couple of these were pushing 1:2 but weren't quite sick enough. To say that I put on my rocket-powered roller skates to get everything done is an understatement. To top it all off, I had a very tough time with IV starts for a couple days and then that DKA showed up... I gave it my all but sometimes you just gotta go big and have the Doc put in a central line.

I'm glad I'm off for a few days.

Used to hate the days when I worked IV therapy and I could float a 24 in a drug addicts foot, then during a rough week I couldn't put an 18 in a body builder with great veins.... Super frustrating.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Maybe getting off at 6am and sleeping for 3 hours only to get up and go on a 13.6 mile mountain bike ride and barely have enough time to come home and shower before work tonight wasn't the best idea.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I actually ended up having to by a new laptop in order to do my online training for work. Work says their stuff is compatible with Macs but it's not. I was able to do the training before on my Mac, it was just a complete PITA. Now that work decided to change all of our training into "fun and exciting online games" it doesn't work.

Yay for open box laptops at Best Buy. Saved about $300 on it.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I actually ended up having to by a new laptop in order to do my online training for work. Work says their stuff is compatible with Macs but it's not. I was able to do the training before on my Mac, it was just a complete PITA. Now that work decided to change all of our training into "fun and exciting online games" it doesn't work.

Bummer

You could have easily bought PC emulator software for your Mac and saved the hassle of buying a new laptop.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You could have easily bought PC emulator software for your Mac and saved the hassle of buying a new laptop.
I've heard of a lot of people having trouble with the emulators and I just don't want to have to deal with it. So I went with a small and semi cheap laptop that I can bring to work and won't be out over a grand if it gets stolen or broken.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Anyone been to Ochos rios and know of any good excursions? Preferably one that includes booze?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm finally getting my taxes done. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. o_O
Did mine and Cynthias last week... I barely broke even lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk