the 100% directionless thread

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Any career departments on the east coast people know of? Have been looking into Wake County and Mecklenburg a little bit. Heard Meck starts medics off at 32k a year though, which would be a 20k pay cut going from a basic to medic, so thats out lol.

Boston EMS won't work since they require you to live in the city, so no thanks.

I am probably stuck here until (if) I get my medic or find a new job other than EMS. Just exploring options.
Come embrace the island life. We need good EMTs. Badly.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Probably a little less than you make now, but COL is lower too. I think it's around $12/hr for basic. We are a TCDRS paying service too for our retirement. Paid health benefits by agency.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Any career departments on the east coast people know of? Have been looking into Wake County and Mecklenburg a little bit. Heard Meck starts medics off at 32k a year though, which would be a 20k pay cut going from a basic to medic, so thats out lol.

Boston EMS won't work since they require you to live in the city, so no thanks.

I am probably stuck here until (if) I get my medic or find a new job other than EMS. Just exploring options.

You just looking for a busy inner city department, or a place you can actually have a good career with and make it to retirement? Tons of places in and around the DC/MD/VA area that are always hiring and I can point ya in the right direction if you tell me what's important to you...

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
You just looking for a busy inner city department, or a place you can actually have a good career with and make it to retirement? Tons of places in and around the DC/MD/VA area that are always hiring and I can point ya in the right direction if you tell me what's important to you...

Place I could make it to retirement would be nice haha. But I'd take a look at anything right now as long as it's a livable wage, and doesn't keep me living pay check to pay check. Show me what ya got!

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Well currently, like apply today, you have both Fairfax County and Prince William County VA both hiring for Firefighter/EMT's and their process just opened up. Fairfax is the best paid department in the NOVA area, and Prince William is a close second. Starting salary is 53,732 at Fairfax with a top out just as a EMT of 87,525.... Best thing about those departments is their retirement. Process is competitive, however coming from where you are, and having a clean background it should be an easy process. They are both extremely progressive departments with tons of options for growth, training, and advancement. I know Paramedics who are Captains in those departments easily making 150k with some overtime.

Arlington County also hires EMS only people, however they are currently not hiring. Arlington and Alexandria are also great places to work.

There is also Montgomery County MD, which is an excellent department to work for, and Prince George's, which has one of the best retirement programs around and catches alot of fire.

If you are looking for a quality EMS only job, and not interested in being a firefighter, I would stray away from the DC/MD/Northern VA area, HOWEVER once hired in one of the departments listed above, your could most certainly ride a ambulance/medic unit your entire career if that is what you're in search of. Plenty of PM/FF like myself would be willing to give up my medic time for engine time.......

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
AMR Boulder accepting applications for Full time Medics.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member

Pretty much this, just on a larger scale with more critical injuries.

I use to volunteer at Eisenhower years ago and saw this very thing happen. Makes me second guess those PS pools!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
KIMG0054.jpg
KIMG0053.jpg
EMS room stocked up @ RCH

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
I love mixing the orange juice and cranberry juice when I hitup DRMC :p never been inside JFKs since idk the code!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I love mixing the orange juice and cranberry juice when I hitup DRMC :p never been inside JFKs since idk the code!

Its hit and miss at JKF sometimes. Sometimes they're fully stocked and other times they're not.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Its hit and miss at JKF sometimes. Sometimes they're fully stocked and other times they're not.

Ya RCH is usually pretty stocked. I should have taken pics yesterday though there was nothing lol

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I went to a whiskey/bourbon tasting Friday night. $100 to get in. About 52 different vendors, some with just one brand, some with many.

Let's just say I'm glad I used Uber to get there.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
When ours are stocked and the local private doesn't raid them clean in the first 30min, ours usually look similarthat with the addition of Monsters. I've been trying to push for those little 50mL liquors, but no luck so far :(

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I went to a whiskey/bourbon tasting Friday night. $100 to get in. About 52 different vendors, some with just one brand, some with many.

Let's just say I'm glad I used Uber to get there.
Went to one a couple months ago. Don't remember a lot of the ones I tasted... Did find a couple new local bourbons that were pretty awesome, though.